Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Next Year ABS Systems - Any knowledge?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:03 pm 

. I just ordered the 2011 version of ABS vario15I from bc.com I will probably add a 25L from Dakine. Looks like it will be a lot of hassle to bring it back to europe.
I have looked at Haglöfs as I am from Sweden but it has no snowboard straps.
Friend's mammut ejected when he fell on his back in japan.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:11 pm 

:D

Apparently there's some new wizzbang, space shuttle airbag concept from Black Diamond coming (called the “Jetforce”) which is inflated by a "two inch fan that spins at 60,000 RPM" meaning no more TSA/airline induced "how do i get a f%#king gas canister for my ABS to Alaska" debacles.

For me, 9 out of 10 backcountry missions involve getting on a plane so, if it works, this'll be a game changer.

http://www.wildsnow.com/10794/jetforce-black-diamond-airbag-backpack/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:43 am 

@Method
I heard on some other thread last season, Arcteryx was coming out with a battery powered pack too. As rad as it would be to not have to worry airline regs, things to consider are battery performance in the cold and frost buildup in the innards of the device (due to sucking in the air surrounding an avy)

I hope it works. Here's to keeping our grapes peeled and reading more testing literature.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:19 pm 

I ended up with an old ABS pack with the vario system. I ordered Dakine cover 25L on top to get a better and more modern pack. The problems started with UPS when I ordered it to my friend to forward when I visited the states. They did not have Hasmat (the cannister was deployed). So we opted for him to bring it back on just one flight. Turned out alright when the cannister was empty and the head screwed off. Look forward to travel with it in Europe... not.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:12 pm 

More about the black diamond jetforce...

http://www.wildsnow.com/10670/jetforce-black-diamond-avalanche-airbag/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:42 am 

Here's some of Bruce Tremper's take on how much airbags help from a statistical approach if anyone is interested:

http://utahavalanchecenter.org/blog-ava ... oser-truth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:08 am 

^ definitely worth a read. It's good to take any stat used in marketing with a grain of salt, most of the time someone is trying to blow smoke up your ass.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:28 pm 

Good read for sure but I'm still not sure where I stand. I am without airbag pack, but perhaps not for long. I kinda take the approach that I should use the technology that's available, whatever the stats. It's a lot of money for, say, a 7% increase in safety...or is it? I guess that's personal choice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:30 pm 

I remember reading that article awhile back.

What I took out of it is that, depending on the terrain, an airbag (if deployed) offers up to a 50% increase in your survival chance if caught in an avalanche.

It doesn't decrease the chance of being in an avalanche (only your brain can do that!), but maybe change the consequences in your favour if you are caught.

Gormley Green wrote:
I am without airbag pack, but perhaps not for long.

I'm in the same boat, but still undecided whether to wait for advances in the tech (and in the meantime go split boarding in avalanche terrain) or wait until there are improvements in the existing products e.g. black diamond jet force etc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:43 am 

Update. I got out for my first (very short) tour on Saturday with the ABS Vario pack, with the Arva x-Over 28. I will say I did not notice additional weight, but I did only have a liter of water, and normally for a larger day I carry 2 liters, and a few things were missing from the pack, because it was the first tour and I was just scrambling to find everything. I just took the pack out to get a better idea of the weight. The pack carries weight very well, and is pretty comfortable.

My overall impressions with the Arva were it's OK. I felt OK with space, but there isn't much compartments for organization. I need to figure out how I will store a few things. I was able to place my avalanche gear in the front pocket along with skins when riding, which was nice. So the back I used for food, water, jacket. My full rescue kit was not there (only half of it), as well as things like my cornice cutter, and I left the puffy in the car. It carried goggles well. I feel it has the space to carry all the things I do in my Deuter Freeride pack, but I might get creative with compartments if I'm using that pack.

The straps I found were pretty much useless. It has a snowboard carry, which I don't think is strong. I didn't try it out. I couldn't find a great way to store my poles. I normally put them on the side, but with the ABS, this is no longer possible. I had them on the straps, which I found a little loose. I'll have to figure something.

One thing I am still wrestling with is how to carry my camera to not interfere with the handle. The chest strap which I normally use is pretty flimsy, so the camera doesn't stay. I had to put it in the pack, which sucks to get out because you have so much to do to access the pack. I still have quite a bit of tweaking to do.

I still think it is better than the ABS Vario 25. I'm going to keep trying it out, and tweaking some stuff. But I'm not overly impressed currently.

I also looked up the powzilla, which looks like a great pack. But I can't find any specs on weight. Is the 2lbs 14oz the ABS version sizing? And 190 seems a bit much for a pack I only need 1/2 of.
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-MountainHardwear_US-Site/default/Search-Show?q=powzilla