Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: lightweight shell suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:03 pm 

hey i know this topic has been done here but i have a couple parameters that i havent seen addressed. I need a light weight shell for touring mostly in the sierras. ive been looking at rain shells and such with goretex paclite or similar. what i want is no insulation, high breathability waterproof or damn close and length. im 6'2 and used to snowboard outerwear. i like my clothes to have a longer cut, not gangster but i want a jacket a few inches past my belt line. i just bought and returned a marmot hyper because it was too short and did not fit very well over a beacon but a similar design is what im after. any suggestions?

ps i have access to a 3.5 account so arc'teryx TNF mt hardwear are within my reach.

Post subject: Re: lightweight shell suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:45 am 

The Patagonia powslayer jacket is the best jacket I've ever had, by a country mile. Fits perfect in exactly the right spots (loose enough for beacon, skins, without being too airy), super light, waterproof, tough, a little longer, cinches and zippers work well and not so many pockets (phone, ipod, etc) that you feel like a goddamn drug mule. Oh, and the hood is a good size for helmet or not.

kinda pricey, but I saw some were on a pretty deep sale earlier this summer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:19 am 

I have the Arcteryx Beta lt jacket and I could not be any happier with the fit and breathablity of it. Arcteryx is incredible, but the retail price is very hard to justify. I can't justify anything from them unless I'm using the 50% off wholesale coupon (those come out around Christmas sounds like you might work for a shop as well). I going with the rush jacket this year for Christmas. Its their lightest jacket that has powder skirt. Seems like the rest of their whitelines series either really baggy or softshell and a little heavier.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:20 am 

I have the Arcteryx Beta lt jacket and I could not be any happier with the fit and breathablity of it. Arcteryx is incredible, but the retail price is very hard to justify. I can't justify anything from them unless I'm using the 50% off wholesale coupon (those come out around Christmas sounds like you might work for a shop as well). I going with the rush jacket this year for Christmas. Its their lightest jacket that has powder skirt. Seems like the rest of their whitelines series either really baggy or softshell and a little heavier. I would go with Patagonia but they do not hookup their vendors very well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:48 pm 

I am in love with my Patagonia Triolet shell, not the most gangsta fit, but for touring, it's appropriate. Breathes well but the pit-zips really do that work. Good pockets that are backpack friendly.

I would go to a shop with lots of variety, try a bunch on, then go online and find the best price

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:23 am 

I have a Patagonia Stretch Element, predecessor to the Triolet, and really like its performance in both winter and spring conditions. If I had to buy something new right now, I would probably be looking at one of the Outdoor Research options, like the Mentor.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:41 pm 

Check out Strafe outerwear for a techy well thoughtout line with good cuts, length and fit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:45 pm 

The most breathable shells that are truly waterproof will be made with Neoshell from Polartech (until something even better comes out). I have a Neoshell Shift LT jacket from Westcomb, and it's noticeably more breathable than any of my expensive Gore Pro, Gore Paclite, or Gore whatever jackets. It has a pretty soft hand too and doesn't feel like such a crunchy hardshell. Great cut too, though the sleeves could be an inch longer, and it only has one chest pocket. I've worn it hiking in driving rain here in coastal Alaska and it kept me dry with almost no interior condensation. That pretty much blew my mind. No way Goretex can do that.

http://www.rei.com/product/847716/westc ... die-jacket

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:15 pm 

Check out the Loki Myth Soft Shell Jacket.

http://www.lokiusa.com/product_detail.php?id=C101

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:47 am 

Mountain Hardware DryQ Elite. Totally waterproof, unbelievably breathable, long enough cut (I'm 6'3" or 4").

I've gone days in wide temp swings uptrack and down without removing this shell - so breathable it precludes layer changes.

And this summer I mistakenly grabbed it (same color as my rain shell) for a trip plagued by torrential monsoonal downpours... 100% dry.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:07 am 

Hey not sure if you're still looking for that shell but I have a Westcomb Switch LT jacket that uses Polartec Neoshell and it seems like it's exactly to be what you're looking for. It's as breathable as a waterproof shell comes, the lightest waterproof jacket in the world and a nice long cut. It also has a build quality that really is top of the line with the feel and noise free movement of a softshell from the neoshell and the best hood that I've ever worn (with helmet and without)

Worth a look if you're still in the market, hope this might help!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:34 pm 

If you want lightweight and waterproof hardshell, then nothing is better than Arcteryx. See the FL series...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:47 am 

POWSLAYER. Just hope you can get a pro deal. It is patagucci after all.