Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hardboot sizing for touring
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:07 pm 

Hello everyone.

Here's the deal. I've started the process of getting into splitboarding and I'm not clear about how I'm supposed to size my hardboots.

I've spent some time backpacking the last couple of summers and quickly discovered that my feet swell up. My trail hiking shoes start out comfortable at the trailhead but it only takes a couple of miles for my feet to swell and my shoes to turn PAINFUL! I now buy my trail / hiking shoes 1 to 2 sizes larger.

On the other hand, I have this precondition from snowboarding whereby the smaller the snowboard boot the better, and a little pain was acceptable when my soft-boots were new with the expectation that they'd break in. Does that work for hardboots?

Dropping the coin that hardboots run and getting them dialed in a store only to discover that perfection for touring is a completely different matter, is not something I wish to go through.

Thoughts and experiences?

Willing and hoping for a deep and abundant snowfall this winter. May the pow be with us.

Post subject: Re: Hardboot sizing for touring
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:22 pm 

I'd say that depends largely on the boot & liner. I would suggest going to a professional boot-fitter with an idea on which boot you want ( options are limited for best splitboarding boot). They can add extra material to your socks in the areas your feet swell to compensate. Smaller is usually better for riding performance, but not at the expense of all day comfort for splitting. The liners will pack out eventually too, but getting them fit properly is key. You will also want to make some mods as you figure out what works best for you. Find a bootfitter that regularly fits touring boots. Though qualities of a good fit for a splitter will be slightly different then for an aggressive skier.