Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sleeping bags
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:13 pm 

I am contemplating upgrading my bag this year. In the spring camping I have done so far I have not needed a bag that was water proof but was wondering if it was must have for spring conditions/camping on snow.

http://marmot.com/products/helium_membr ... 167&ft=167

Or should a priority be something lighter and packs down smaller

http://marmot.com/products/plasma_15?p=117,167&ft=167

Just wondering what most are using. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Sleeping bags
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:42 pm 

If you're lookin' at spending that kind of money, checkout Sierra Designs' DriDown bags.
The feathers are treated with a wicked aqua phobic material. Waterproof is immaterial and it holds loft longer.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:53 pm 

Very nice. I have seen that. However due to a super bro deal I would not be spending anywhere near list price so Marmot would be the bags I would pick from.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:50 pm 

i have a marmot 5 degree, not sure of the model but its down and two shades of orange. its my first winter bag but ive used it a few times down to 10f or maybe a bit lower and ive been sweating every time. i do sleep hot though. it packs as small as id expect and doesnt seem that heavy but i dont count weight. im 6'2 and got the long to have room to stuff cameras, water bottles etc in the bottom and i still have plenty of room. oh and loft seems great but i dont have much besides 30degree synthetics to compare to.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:15 am 

I have a Golite sleeping quilt. The quilts are awesome because when you smash the bottom layer of your sleeping bag, the insulation is compromised and lots of heat is lost so why carry the bulk and the weight. As long as you have a good pad which you generally need in snow anyways, you're good. My bag is 20 degree rated and used in colder temps and I have never needed more. Want some extra warmth wear your puffy. Add more warmth and use in combination with a bivy sack. I love layering techniques. It doesn't just work with clothing. You would be surprised how well it works with gear too. Compressability on the quilts are amazing. It packs up smaller than my puffy does!!!