Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Backcountry Mag Editors Choice
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:16 pm 

http://backcountrymagazine.com/gear/2014-editors-choice-awards-splitboards/

Thoughts on this? I don't really put a lot of weight into their reviews (nice three sentences), but its interesting to see. Seems like they just ride them at resorts, do minimal touring, and don't take a lot of risks on their choices. Tell me how much it weighs (I believe this will be in the mag), how durable it is, and how is skinning with it? Then the ride. Not vice versa. :twocents:

I'd like to see more boards reviewed in the future, such as bringing in a swallow, or a short pow board, like the Unicorn Chaser. They keep it overall pretty similar with selection.

I haven't rode any of these boards, so I can't comment on the selection. I think a few of us are excited to see how the Prospector does in real life, cool its here. But good to see small companies like Venture making the list again (5 years straight!), and Chimera coming in with what I think is their first editors choice!

Also, wheres the Phantoms! Keffler, you have to send a pair next year!

Post subject: Re: Backcountry Mag Editors Choice
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:36 pm 

Weights are listed now. Take back previous statement. Prior XTC is impressive at 6 lb 15 oz for a 166.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:17 pm 

Jason, et al. I really do not think this even counts much as a test-I mean how much can one learn riding the boards at a resort anyway? Resort conditions are almost never similar at all to what we experience in the backcountry. It seems like everything is an "Editor's Choice" as well, really???

As far as Phantoms go, I believe they inquired with Keffler about a pair, but apparently they had no experienced hard boot testers… Best tests of Phantoms come from guys like karkis and Joey V, as these guys get a lot of big days in.

Someday, someone will do a real backcountry splitboard test. Only riding in the backcountry, with multiple days on each board. It takes me at least a few days of backcounty riding on a board to get an idea of how it performs, and I have ridden a shit load of different boards over the years. The fact is, many on this forum probably get more backcountry days than any of Backcountry mags testers...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:21 am 

barrows wrote:
Jason, et al. I really do not think this even counts much as a test-I mean how much can one learn riding the boards at a resort anyway? Resort conditions are almost never similar at all to what we experience in the backcountry. It seems like everything is an "Editor's Choice" as well, really???

As far as Phantoms go, I believe they inquired with Keffler about a pair, but apparently they had no experienced hard boot testers… Best tests of Phantoms come from guys like karkis and Joey V, as these guys get a lot of big days in.

Someday, someone will do a real backcountry splitboard test. Only riding in the backcountry, with multiple days on each board. It takes me at least a few days of backcounty riding on a board to get an idea of how it performs, and I have ridden a shit load of different boards over the years. The fact is, many on this forum probably get more backcountry days than any of Backcountry mags testers...

But that still does not matter much. Everybody rides differently and people will need different boards for their riding style. There can not be ONE board the will be the best for everybody.

Then again, I totally agree. How much can you learn from a couple of laps in the resort? Probably as much as you learn from doing the "hand flex test" in the shop ;)

K2 Panoramic 158
Lib Tech TRS 154 solid
BD Traverse poles
Mammut Barryvox Pulse
Oakley Airbrake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:46 am 

I agree Barrows. That's why people should go to splitfests and try out demos!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:52 am 

Not to take away from the boards listed, because I'm sure some if not all are great boards.

However, many times these choices are made depending on the amount of advertising dollars the companies spend with the magazine.

Like others have said, go to the demo's, spend some time riding different boards and maybe even read some user reviews posted here. I've bought and ridden a crappy board before. It's not worth it. Do you own research and decide what kind of board you want to ride.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:15 am 

swedishbanana: While I agree that there will never be one best board, I do think a published test could be done which would have some value to riders. Let's face it, a demo (and a long term demo at that) is the best way to go, but not all baords are available to demo.
When I review a board on this site, I try to give as much info as possible, and I start by describing my riding style and what I am looking for in a board. Then I go on to say how the board under test works in a variety of conditions, doing a variety of things:
How does it handle deep powder, both at speed, and in tight trees.
What happens in variable conditions,
What happens in firm windboard, and frozen corn,
How stable is the board-does it give confidence that it will get one out of trouble (like maching a straight line exit, and then hitting an unforseen pocket of bad/variable snow)
How does it like to turn, short, medium, or long... is it easy to make carved turns of many sizes,
How does it handle in smears and slarves, does it transition easily from smear/slarve to carve and back in a single turn,
Is the tail easy to pivot around, can one push the tail around to manuver quickly in tight spots, or does the board prefer to make a complete turn (lock you in) before exiting,
I do not do much freestyle riding, but for testers that do, they should address the switch capabilities, and how the board handles in the air.

If a mag like Backountry is doing an organised test, it should include a check list of all the above, and perhaps other aspects as well (these are just off the top of my head), and a second checklist for each tester, describing their height, weight, boot size and riding style. Then each tester should address all the items on the board checklist, as well as add their own verbal assessment of the board (qualities that stand out, good and bad). Test information like this could be very helpful in trying to determine what a board is really like the backcountry.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:09 am 

I haven't really been impressed with backcountry mag's tests even with skiis it's like...

(Review of Freeride ski)
+ skiis well
- heavy

(review of touring ski)
+tours well
-skis like shaq

(review of Powder ski)
+good in powder
-bad on hard pack

And the splitboard test is much worse...
I mean seriously...

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:15 pm 

wasatchfreeride84093 wrote:
And the splitboard test is much worse...
I mean seriously...

Oh, I like where this is going:

Quote:
- “Purely cosmetic, but the black topsheet was a little more scuffed than I expected after a couple days of splitting.”
"I kept stepping on my skis on switchbacks, and it dinged it! Why?"

Quote:
= A versatile split with short yet sharp teeth on the uphill
= Used High traction skins for first time

Jones Solution
Quote:
but charges like a brick shithouse down the fall line.
:scratch:
Quote:
"I would’ve liked just a little more tail to save me from backseat landings and for more stability at speed.”
Um, see positive.

Quote:
“The topsheet collected snow when skinning in spring conditions.”
Yeah that kinda happens.

Quote:
“Big nose was unwieldy in icy trees and on tight traverses.”
Prior Fissle = Pow Board, why are you riding icy trees?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:05 am 

Let's see what the full review is in the magazine.
This does definitely mean the landlord is coming this year so I am going to pick one up in the states.
Where do they test them? If they go around the worls to get some snow it is still impressive enough even though it can't count as perfect conditions that the board is meant for.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:41 pm 

They need someone like alecapone testing the boards.
(Stole this picture, hope it's ok)
I haven't picked up a backcountry mag in years and am not too interested in Kronicle as well. I think it's sad that when you pick up these mags it's nothing but pictures of the same dude over and over. So many guys are doing sick things out there it would be nice to get some different perspectives.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:12 am 

Totally agreed with UTAH. In fact, all the most interesting splitboarding stories are generally published right here, in TRs on this site. We get to see great reports from all over the US, and some from around the world as well, often with good photography, and sometimes, even interesting writing. Hey, and guess what, us riders are doing these TRs for free, just to share the stoke.
Our reviews are often better than what is published in the professional media as well... What do you know. Maybe we should consider publishing some kind of Journal: perhaps a highlight of the best TRs and reviews posted at SB.com each season. It could come out in August every year. This might also add incentive for folks to really get creative and try and do some really good TRs. Hey BCrider, what do you think? I am into this idea, as being a mature rider I grew up on print mags (Skateboarder/Snowboarder) and still like to hold a magazine in my hands and read it...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:28 am 

testing backcountry boards at a resort is like evaluating a surfboard by dragging on it behind a ski boat on a windy day, useless, what's the name of the magazine again?