Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Using same pair of hardboots for skiing and splitboarding
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:43 am 

Hi all
Is it realistic to expect that the same pair of hardboots could be used for both skiing and splitboarding? Are the mods for riding basically mandatory and therefore I would need to own two pairs of hardboots if I wish to mix it up? I ride a softboot setup now - but am inclined to go hard boot setup, but meanwhile I am also wanting to ski more nowadays so was seeing if anyone else is having success with multi-purposing their boots.

thanks

Post subject: Re: Using same pair of hardboots for skiing and splitboarding
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:43 am 

Modifying HB boots is a personal preference.

A lot will depend on what boot you choose to ski/ride with.

I ride stock Scarpa F1's and the only "mod" I have done is to add an "Eliminator Custom Tongue" shim which has solved some boot fitting issues for me and also has soften forward-lean for me.

So try to carpet test a pair of Eliminator Custom Tongues a your local ski shop. I purchased mine at Pomeroy Sports in Aspen, Colorado.

http://www.tognar.com/the-eliminator-custom-tounges-pair/.

The F1 boot is designed for AT / Rando-Racing so it will only will work well with my Völkl Snow Wolf AT Skis (113/76/100). But these boots will not drive today's fat AT Ski.

I say continue trying the "varations" without the modifications to you new boots; since your trying to use your new TLT-5 boots for both AT skiing and Splitboarding.

I ride Bomber Sidewinder Bindings and these bindings flex lateral. I have not tried the Phantoms yet. But I ride stock Burton Race Plates on my solid board.

Bottom-line is try before you buy or modify your boots.

Canting the plate bindings can be accomplished through modifying a SNOWPRO Race Bindings to a Voile Plate binding, or use the Bomber Sidewinder Split-board binding http://www.bomberonline.com/store/bindi ... tboard.cfm. Although heavy, I would recommend the Sidewinder bindings.

Barrows posted "Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!" viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10958&st=0&sk=t&sd=a. This thread has a lot to say about the TLT 5 boots and modifications.

Modifying boots is a personal preference; there is a lot of good advice for doing so. But for me, I am satisfied with the stock F1s.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:16 am 

Used a pair of dynafit one boots for the season in Whitewater BC.
Phantoms/dynafit for the boards and dynafit for the skis.
NO Mods to the boots except for fitting.
Jut had them tight for skiing and looser for boarding. I like stiffer boots for boarding.
Unlocked back foot when in powder did the job.
As previously said in other threads many mods can be made but i did not feel the need.
Maybe the more i ride HB the more i will want to mod them as it was the first season for me in them.
And what a treat it was with touring, climbing and riding.
No going back for me..

Phantoms/Sparks
Tokachi Dreaming

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:36 pm 

007: It can be done as you suggest, but riding performance will be compromised to some extent. I rode the TLT5 Mountain (softer model, pebax cuff) one day in stock condition before starting the modding process. It certainly "worked" but it did not work as well as a well dialed soft boot set up. With mods, my TLT5s now equal or even outperform a soft boot set up.
So, it just depends on how much compromise in performance you are willing to accept.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:09 pm 

What bindings are you going to use? Phantoms or DIY Burton/CC bails on a Voile plate?
I have been riding TLT5s on the DIY voile thing this season and didn't find any reason to mod them. The binding itself provided enough flex.
Before this I had been riding Forum Destroyers with Drake DTM's, which is much more on the flexible side, both in the binding and boot and 32 Lashed before the forums, so I was used to a flexible setup, but didn't have problems with the stock TLSs and the Voile plate + CC bails.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:02 am 

Thanks guys. All guidance is appreciated. This stuff is $$ especially after already investing in last year in a soft boot split setup so want to at least have expectations right.
For those using un-modded AT boots, do you tend to leave the walk/tour mode on while riding and touring?
How important is canting ability on the bindings?