Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trapper, Quality?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:18 pm 

Does anyone here have personal hands on experience with Trapper Splits? From the information I can find on the web, these appear to be built to a very high standard of quality, but without first hand experience, it is hard to know for sure. I am interested in hearing from anyone who has seen them, ridden them, or owned them. Tight seam? High quality build, with attention paid to details? Edge and base finish quality level? No voids at the edges or uneven areas in the topsheet? Etc?

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

Post subject: Re: Trapper, Quality?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:52 pm 

Hey Barrows I own a Trapper Ursa MAjor Split 161. I've only had it out for two days but I really like the board. It's solid, seam is tight like a venture. One thing I didn't expect was the lack of a full wrap edge. Also, my sidewalls are wood so I'm curious about the durability. It looks great and the topsheet and base finish are top notch.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:56 pm 

White oak sidewall. Doug fir core. Interesting.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:56 am 

I have had a quick lap on one down here in NZ last year a ursa major, Nicely hand crafted board quality and feel. Im becoming more of a fan of wood sidewalls and cutting down on unnecessary plastic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:12 am 

Yeah, Trapper is another company trying to cut down on the environmental impact of its product. Oak sidewalls, and Basalt laminates (plus carbon) instead of fiberglass are two of the ways they do this. They also source all their wood locally.
The use of Basalt is interesting (Lib and Rossi use Basalt as well). I did a little research on Basalt, and it looks like it outperforms fiberglass in terms of tensile strength per density by slim margin, and is a little stiffer, but still retains decent elongation (better than carbon). From the info I could find, it kind of looks like Basalt splits the difference on strength-stiffness/weight between glass and carbon fibers. Basalt, unlike carbon, is also affordable. Some ski builders have also suggested that Basalt skis offer improved damping over glass.
Wood sidewalls do not bother me at all, the Oak is pretty moisture resistant wood, and I maintain my boards pretty well.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/