Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2013-2014 Never Summer SL reviewed
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:02 am 

Thanks for the comments HFT! I am torn and having a hard time making the choice. I know i will love the board, but wish i could try it in ski mode first. my other choice is the Venture zepher that i know performs well skinning, but i also know i like the ride of NS better. I guess the 163X at $800 is not much of a summer savings comparred to just waiting and getting the prospector when it comes out next season at what, $1200? ugg.

Phantom Alpha's w TLT5s
DIY 168 Skynk Ape, RC
Lib Tech T.Rice 164.5
Spark R&D Afterburner tesla'

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:04 am 

I think they are $999 without skins or hardware.

I have the 11/12 model I will be selling to finance the Prospector or Xavier split. Probably be looking for around $400 with no hardware or skins. If I still have it come early next season you'd be welcome to demo it for a day.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:51 am 

BobGnarly wrote:
LOL check out his reply!!

This is just another typical never summer cash for comment style review, they send out free boards, and the glowing reviews come flooding in by people who feel way too much emotional attachment to provide an accurate unbiased review.

I disagree BGnarly. his comments were fair and what i was looking for. He rides a Venture as well and looks to have a lot of snowboarding experience to base a review on

Thanks again HFT. i dont think the new prospector camber profile is going to be much of an improvment in "ski" mode as far as what i want anyways. The added Tapper looks good though. Still cant decide. Looks like i will never have a one board quiver anyways. I am a big fan of NS, so it looks like i am going to have to bite the bullet and get the NS split for next season and use my regular camber SKunk Ape when needed.

Phantom Alpha's w TLT5s
DIY 168 Skynk Ape, RC
Lib Tech T.Rice 164.5
Spark R&D Afterburner tesla'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:09 pm 

G note on a snowboard.... Crazy.

Carry on

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:40 pm 

Ahh I can feel the love! Thanks for posting my review. The 2013-2014 Never Summer SL Splitboard performs better then the last Never Summer SL I tested back in 2011, especially at high speeds. I guess that would have been the 2012-2013 board? I felt the 2013-2014 split actually rode like a traditional board. There was virtually no gap in the board between the feet which is refreshing. The board holds it's own at speed.

To be honest I mostly tested the Never Summer SL splitboard up on Teton Pass, the snow was deep powder late in the season. In tight trees and on some nice open faces at Edelweiss bowl. I did not ride over any avalanche debri, conditions were stable allowing me to tour around the pass. I also mashed around on it for a couple days in the Mt Baker sidecounty that were tits deep. I think a McDonalds tray would have been epic those days. I tend to only ride good snow, I'm lucky I guess.

The board skis well in touring mode, better then the Travis Rice split yet not as strong as the Venture Odin.

The new splitboards all have there ups and downs. I would say this board is for someone wanting to get into the backcountry, away from the crowds but still have some freestyle radness. Butters, spins and jibs come natural on the Never Summer SL Splitboard. The board turns well and is a lot of fun to ride.

If I'm riding a big line in Haines, I would always prefer to have a traditional snowboard under my feet. That being said I am very pleased with this board. It's perfect for the Rockies, the NW and anywhere else you find yourself touring in North America.

I just saw this post and it made me want to snowboard... So we went and toured on Togwotee Pass today..

Thanks for all the traffic to my website. I am more of a snowboarder, photographer, video hack then writer but I do try and get out and test gear as much as possible.

My review of this years Spark Magneto's is almost written. I will post the link here when it's complete. Tour to ride mode and ride to tour mode in 30 seconds aint to shabby!!

Barrows you want to test some gear for us this year?