Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mt adams, sw... chutes?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:31 am 

i've been taking a break from writing trip reports this winter to spend more quality time bonding with my van... but i'm getting nostalgic as the season winds down, so i wrote up last weekend's trip....

despite the slightly ominous weather forecast, i headed down to mt adams to meet up with my buddy who was coming up from reno. when we arrived friday evening, the ranger told some horror stories about the cold springs trailhead, so we opted to camp elsewhere. boy were we glad when we showed up at the th around 5am to see a crazy mess of cars parked in ditches and people sleeping right in the road.

neither of us had ever been here before, but the trail was quite obvious and the going was so easy that i wore my sneakers all the way up to the "lunch counter" area before finally taking the boots off my pack.

after telling ken over and over that we'd likely be climbing in zero viz and rain, we were pleasantly surprised by the weather.

the going was so easy that i put my new ski crampons on just to test fit them and then immideiately took them off. we were at the false summit by noon, and the corn was nowhere near ready, so ken enjoyed the view while i went to tag the true summit.

glad to not be on rainier today...

by 2pm the corn was ready and so were we.

all the stories i'd heard were true--the sw chutes are fun to ride! (though more of a "face" than "chutes" in my book)

some light shenanigans ensued as we tried to find the best way back to the south rib.

it took us longer than expected to traverse back around (maybe we dropped too low?) but the burn made the going quite easy.

the trailhead looked like a war zone, with cars strewn precariously between burned out trees, tents set up on piles of rocks, and gear hung to dry on charred and ash covered logs. so we hopped in the van and drove 20 minutes back to our super posh campsite from the night before.

it was great to explore a new volcano with one of my original touring partners. on the way home i remembered that my last ride of the previous season was on shasta with ken. maybe i should make it a tradition and hang up the board for a few months. i kinda feel like going rock climbing now, anyway...

Post subject: Re: mt adams, sw... chutes?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:50 pm 

My shots sucked so I won't bother including any of them. Nice write up Ben. Looking forward to some climbing myself!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:29 pm 

Nice one guys! Adams is great fun, and a lot of 'bang for the buck' for a summertime volcano hit.

I was just there a few weeks ago too, and yeah that campsite situation at the trailhead needs some serious attention.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:23 am 

Yeah buddy!

Glad the storms held off for you.

I agree. It does seem awefully wide to call a chute. Maybe because of how it looks from a distance later in the year. The scale makes it looks like a thin line.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:00 am 

I'm curious about the trail head situation. Is it just too many people? Or is it some kind of dirt-bag comune?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:39 am 

It gets crowded on weekends this time of year. It is a very popular for climbers too. The actual campground is not melted out enough to drive into so everyone parks on the side of the road and in little pull outs as close as possible to the campground. It is a narrow winding road so there are only so many reasonable spots.

We showed up on Sunday night a couple of weeks ago and it was totally mellow with only a dozen cars.