Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mt. Adams
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:47 am 

Robbie and I hit up Adam's on Wednesday. We planned to hit the SW Chute. Approach was the standard south route which is open and good to go. The lower portion of the trail is melting out fast. So get on it quick. We were skinning probably 20min from the car. I attempted Adam's earlier in the year... From Snipe Mtn TH (Stupid)... This was much easier... But... Alas... Adam's is still a BEAST.

Arriving at the TH late Tuesday night we slept till 5 and then rolled out for a super early alpine start of damn near 6am. We set no speed records. Enjoyed the day and took our time getting to the top. With a late start and a 4 o'clock summit we opted out of the southwest chute due to warming and time. Riding mostly the climbers route... I don't recommend. While there is some nice headwalls one being almost 2k... Crossing the flat spots can really suck. The snow is not exactly smooth up there. If we got out earlier we may have had better corn. All Photo's were shot by Robbie Walsh. I may add a video at some point.

Widespread Texture

Avy's

More Skinning False Summit Up High

Summit Cheese

Descent

On the way out

Good Times. I hope somehow things smooth out. It's looking like it's going to be a much better season after that may snow. I think this clocked in at about 12hr round trip (including safety meetings). About 20 People out on the route as well.

Post subject: Re: Mt. Adams
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:07 pm 

Sick stoke and cool pics Joe! I am heading up there this weekend, spread the hype! :headbang:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:28 am 

Nice! It looks like its actually in pretty fair condition. I did it last year in August and the sun cups were humongous! How is Cold Springs CG? Did it completely burn or was it spared by the fire? I usually car camp there and start the hike around 4 or 5. Hope there is still something left.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:35 am 

It was much better a few hours earlier.... :wink:

Able to skin from Cold Springs to summit.(Left on Tuesday)
Camp at Lunch Counter. 0 wind, should have brought a Frisbee. Sunset/Stars/Sunrise the whole show.

Found mostly smooth snow from summit to Piker's, a rare treat. Booted down to roll over in chute. Felt deep wet snow on firm, with the rapid warm up, bailing out a moat at camp 9000', and other visual evidence. Best case scenario was a miserable, baking slog out. We thought it best to drop from Pikers.

Able to stay off of tracks until they were necessary for descent.

With Spencer's one foot out/potato sack race technique. :headbang: He was almost able to stay on/in his board most of the way back :lol: :lol:

Turned on a few folks on to the 11th essential. One of the rangers caught sight of the magnifying glass. Ahhh solar bowling. Yeah you bet. Good times on the mountain.

Safe Travels, CR :guinness:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:27 am 

chronicracing wrote:
Turned on a few folks on to the 11th essential. One of the rangers caught sight of the magnifying glass. Ahhh solar bowling. Yeah you bet. Good times on the mountain.

oh man why didn't i think of that!