Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should this Happen
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:00 am 

Hey Guys

I tried to search for this but I couldnt find anything. I have a 2011-2012 Solution 163w and Karakouram Split30s. How much of a gap should you have in ride mode? A little daylight? no daylight? I was riding in some spring slop and it the slush would come right through the crack like pizza dough coming out a rolling machine. Also with the bindings off and the board connected with the K clips and the tip/tail connected there is quite amount on vertical play. Meaning if you hold it verticaly and grab each half and pull one side up the other down it moves bought a half inch. With a lot of folks have issues with there jones and me never riding any other split I thought I would ask.

Karakouram Split30s
2010 mutes

Post subject: Re: Should this Happen
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:13 am 

vertical play without the bindings on doesn't matter. all splitboards do this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:22 am 

wasatch surf wrote:
vertical play without the bindings on doesn't matter. all splitboards do this.

Thanks Wasatch that didnt bother me as much as the snow coming threw the middile while riding

Karakouram Split30s
2010 mutes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:24 am 

It doesn't quite sound right to me. Pics of the issue might help us determine if you actually have a problem or not.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:30 am 

Killclimbz wrote:
It doesn't quite sound right to me. Pics of the issue might help us determine if you actually have a problem or not.

I will take some picks when I get home but there is no snow with 150 miles of my house. what kind of pics should I post to help you guys see?

Karakouram Split30s
2010 mutes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:53 am 

A small gap in the board is no big deal at all. I have a gap in the tip and tail, small, and sometimes snow can push its way out. Nothing to worry about in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:18 am 

I've had thin slivers of mash-potato slush (has to be just the right snow texture--not grainy corn) push up through the seam of every split board I've owned; it happens aft of my back binding where the most force is being exerted down onto the snow. Nothing to fret about.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:28 am 

Taylor wrote:
I've had thin slivers of mash-potato slush (has to be just the right snow texture--not grainy corn) push up through the seam of every split board I've owned; it happens aft of my back binding where the most force is being exerted down onto the snow. Nothing to fret about.

Thanks Taylor thats what I was talking about. good to know!!

Karakouram Split30s
2010 mutes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:05 pm 

I just did this to tighten up the gap on my carbon solution.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:25 pm 

How often do you ride it? The seem between my k-clips has gradually grown larger (rapid growth on hardpack/ cruddy days) And I just pull them off and re tighten themme Rey once in a while

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:57 pm 

I have ridden this board 2-3 days in the resort at the end of the season and about 10-15 days bc before that. My gap actually got very sloppy (over 1/8th") where the clasp wasn't touching the hook. This happened on the front clip. The rear was fine. The tip and tail clips weren't installed as tight as I would've done which I think also contributed to the problem. Keeping your pucks aligned to the correct length when installing your pin in ride mode would also keep some of the pressure off the K clips as well. Mine had a gap where my bindings could slide back and forth which would also contribute to more force spreading the board halves apart while riding.

Other than making these observations and correcting them as preventative measures which will allow many more days on a splitboard, there are things in the layup process than could be done to help. I think it has to do with the thin wood core/sidewall material where the clips are installed. The holes must be ovaling slightly to allow that kind of play. What should be done in board manufacturing is installing something in the core to prevent this from happening. A thicker sidewall or thin metal plate?? The other idea of course is to install micro T-nuts in the layup process? Making an adjustable clip then could be achieved to maintain optimal pressure between the board halves when put in ride mode.

Something I tried on my rock board was to epoxy the K clips to the top sheet when I torqued the clips to the board when switching from Voile hooks to K clips. That top sheet doesn't budge and the surface area of the K clips is more than enough to bond and keep those holes from ovaling.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:30 pm 

That center gap varies between brands (high-quality production can minimize or eliminate the gap), but tends to grow over time with use as the hooks/clips wear in. That said, K clips should pretty much eliminate any gap IF the two halves of the board nest together correctly.

My wife's Voile Mojo grew gappy over time and would extrude that sheet of mashed potatoes between the halves in fresh, wet snow. My Spliff does that too. Both those boards use Voile Chinese hooks. None of the boards where I have K clips mounted do that because the K clips pull the two halves together TIGHT. That includes my 11/12 Jones Solution which has the mellow Magnetraction on the inside which should make the fit more challenging during manufacturing. This is even one of the notoriously poorly manufactured Tunisian boards (like yours). You just got one of the more funky ones.

The snow squirting through the gap does not really affect performance, it just looks weird.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:20 pm 

If you intall one of these the touring parts clamp on the shaft and keep the board from separating in both axis. Image

http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au/ ... parts.html
Pick the Karakorum one from the drop down menu

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne