Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gentemstick Chopsticks
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:08 pm 

Hi everybody,

First time poster so please be nice! Have been looking at getting into splitboarding for the first time, I'm actually still learning my stuff on solidboards but I know where I want to go. Have my first backcountry trip planned for NZ this August, Aspiring Guides in Wanaka.

During a trip to Japan in March this year I saw a few guys riding these Gentemsticks , they were the Surf style boards, looked pretty freaky anyway that's how I got onto their website, they do splits as well, they call them Chopsticks :) Expensive buggers but quality gear from what I have been told.

http://www.gentemstick.com/

I was looking at the Floater 162 as it looks like that's a bit of an allrounder, I have the NZ trip coming up then a trip to the USA and maybe one to Japan this northern winter, want to hit the trees and powder in the BC when I'm there, nothing huge.

My first and only board has been a NS Legacy 161, thought it was great even though I don't know much better. I'm 6'1 and 210"/95kgs, not interested in tricks just carving and floating in the powder.

I've looked at the Jones and NS splits, the Jones Solution looks good but have seen a few QC issues highlighted on here, so buying off the net blind is a little off putting.

Anyway if anyone has some opinions on how these boards would go as splits, ascending, traversing etc that would be great.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Gentemstick Chopsticks
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:57 pm 

Yes, they're nice boards, but just because they're expensive doesn't make them the best board for you.
I had the 166 slasher solid, and I would not want it as a splitboard. Also, they have very narrow max stances so make sure you fit before you order one. I would get one from a different company and use the difference to pay for skins, hardware, etc

You should look at all the splitboards out there right now. Don't limit yourself to Jones, NS and Gentem

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:59 pm 

That giant mantaray looks fun. Would love to see them in person.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:54 am 

Hi,Do you know FIELD EARTH DESIGN of Asahikawa.Hokkaido?
http://www.field-earth.com/
http://www.facebook.com/fieldearthdesign
This Company made good pow boards & Skis.

The feature of boards are a shape of base.
It's looks like a bottom of ship.
they call the shape as "3D".
It's really good for Dry Pow in Asahidake(The Mountain is famous as lightest pow in Japan.)

They also made Split board.
The name is TENTACLE ped.
http://www.field-earth.com/ped-specs.html
The base of board isn't "3D".
I haven't ridden the board yet,but I heard some good reputation.
The price isn't very expensive as Gentem.94500 JpnYen.
Good Luck.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:13 pm 

After poring over posts on here and anywhere else I could get info, have put in a order for a Venture Zephyr 165l 27w, it would be nice to be able to try a few out first, but opportunity is limited on the east coast and non existent here in Perth, Australia. So have rolled the dice, looking forward to getting my hands on it and cant wait for the season to get going down under.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:53 am 

japanese built boards are notoriously thin and flexible. They are built for light weight guys. Just something to be aware of if you are a bigger guy

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:02 pm 

Gman, you arent really taking a risk with a Venture, real solid hardwood core, stable and good performance in bad snow. I think it's nuts paying 1200 plus for a board or skis that are essentially plastic on the bottom and a thinish metal edge that will hit rocks and not win.