Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wanna get into hardbooting
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:11 am 

I have two questions regarding hardbooting
Whats the difference in terms of riding (cruising, charging, powder, carving, edgehold) with a hardboot vs softboot?
Does anybody know how much weight i will shave off my setup? (malamutes and burners vs tlt5, phantom and dynafit toe pieces)

I THINK i want to get into hardbooting, but im hesitant because i really dont know how it is freeriding, charging and cruising with hardboots! Is hardboots nice to ride compared to a softboot setup?

Post subject: Re: Wanna get into hardbooting
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:54 am 

Cue another 10 page hard v. soft boot thread in 3, 2, 1...

:nononno:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:50 am 

I bought a cheapie setup for under $100 to try it out. (Used Voile Mt. Plates, I had slider plates laying around, and cheap used boots from the local 2nd hand bargain basement ski shop in Portland). And I was hooked. So then I invested in TLTs, Dynafit toes, Phantoms, etc.

However, I still use soft boots a lot for powder, and certain terrain where I think soft boots will be more fun.

If you have a local shop where you can rent hard boots and find Voile plates to use, I think that's your best bet -- trying it out prior to investing major Kronor.

Good luck --

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:13 pm 

Last December I finally got enough stuff together to give hardboots a try. I was coming from Karakorams to start with so I had to buy everything. :(

I ended up with Voile pucks/plate, Voile mountain plates, Black Diamond Primes, and Dynafit toes on Spark adapters. At this point I'd love to lose the Sparks adapters and get rid of the mountain plates. My ideal set up would be a set of K'ram plate bindings so I could easily switch back and forth between hard boots and softboots without changing the mounts.

I didn't do much in the way of permanent boot modifications because I intend to go to TLTs next year to get less weight and a softer boot. As it is I can still do methods and ride switch pow turns in my Primes and I just have to replace one part in each boot to get them back to capable ski boots.

Since I switched to hard boots I have not gone back to softboots. The only thing I'm missing is a softer ankle but that's a compromise in climbing performance and riding performance and something that I'll work on in the fall. The walking, step kicking, toe pointing, carving, and skinning are all better in the plastic kook boots.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:52 pm 

Have you told your parents yet?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:55 am 

I softbooted for over 20 years. Switched to HB 5 years ago, never going back. With a properly moded boot it charges, rides pow, drops cliffs, jibs, cracks oliies, butters... whatever you want it to do.Its mainly in your head once you have adapted to the slightly diff ride. I do however recommend riding it on a solid deck at the hill also. Really get you adapted quickly, and its way faster than straps to get in and out. As for weight, Im on a G3 Blacksheep, proto Phantoms and TlT5's. My buddy has a Panoramic with Sparks. My total setup was 1.5lb lighter, per foot!
Anyways this is a personal opinion, i really dont want to start some pissing match with any other fellow splitters out there. The mountains i spend my time in require mountaineering and the pow is plenty, so find this to be the best for what I need around here.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:32 pm 

I was trying to stay out of this thread, as often the HB "haters" (who often have no direct experience) seem to show up.
I will just say I agree with everything said by Joey above. With a well set up system, one will save weight, experience better touring performance, better climbing performance, more comfort, and at as good (if not better) riding performance.
It is all I ride, and I have no desire to deal with straps and soft boots anymore.
If you are considering the switch, read the other threads, especially on the TLT5 boot (TLT6 for next year) and Phantom Bindings, and try and learn as much as you can. There is plenty of information already on this site.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:06 pm 

Did my first hard-season and have no intentions of going back. I even consider getting a solid hard deck. Mind you, I don't do no park stuff, only what Nature gives me in way of jumps and air time.
For me it gives better touring, much, much better walking and more confident traversing and steep climbing and kick stepping. The later has the added benefit that the skiers I usually go riding with, don't mock me anymore as the useless snowboarder at the tail :D
My riding is more confident as well. Also had some epic pow days this season, didn't feel like the boots took any of the joy from them (:

By any means, jump and try it. If you can do it, jump directly in the TLTs. If possible with Phantoms. If not - consider the DIY way with Voile plates and Carve Company's bails on them - cheap and works well. The Voile mountain plates are made from something noodely, which is to be avoided.

@barrows, did you have a chance to have a real world encounter with the TLT6? From what I gather from the internetz skiers are stocked on them, but what's the snowboarders perspective? Should I stock with a spare pair of TLT5s, while they are still available :bananas:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:49 pm 

Also consider: there may be some 12/13 Phantom Bindings available used from people who choose to upgrade to 13/14 versions this fall, so a few pairs at good prices may be around in the fall.

I have no reason to believe the TLT6 will be anything but better than the 5 for splitters. They are still going to offer the "cheaper" version with the plastic cuff, and the cuff looks the exact same as this years model. The new boots have improved buckles, slightly more volume with a bit thicker liner, and a aluminum layer for more warmth, and the very slight toe flex has been eliminated for better durability and simplicity. I have not held them in my hands, but have numerous reviews and seen videos of them, Keffler has seen them, and was impressed. The 6s should be easier for more folks to get a good fit in, with the same precision heel pocket, combined with slightly wider forefoot.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:05 pm 

Try to stay away from the carbon upper cuff versions for the tlt5 and 6. Very stiff... in the wrong way too. If your foot fits a tlt5 just get that as tlt6 is really the same boot except for minor things. Might be able to get 5's pretty cheap soon.