Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Next Year ABS Systems - Any knowledge?
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:44 am 

I know its very rare, but I'll mention it anyway - an ABS pack my friend demo'd we fired off when we brought it back because the guy said we could.

When he pulled the trigger, one bag came out, the other blew apart the stitching inside the pack and inflated against his back, inside the bag itself

The rep told us he's seen it before - but that its rare. And then asked which model he'd like to buy lol

A good reason for two bags I guess, however it didn't give me a real awesome feeling about ABS especially considering the relative uselessness of the packs they offer.

You can see the deployment in question in my video in the trip reports section.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:50 am 

classicauto wrote:
You can see the deployment in question in my video in the trip reports section.

Approximately what time is this at?

The lite was what I leaning towards as well otherwise. I also read though the Mammut PAS system was going to use lighter material, so wanted to see the specs prior to pulling the trigger.

All good feedback, thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:41 am 

don't have 7 minutes to kill? haha

about 4:10

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:14 pm 

So doing a little research on Carbon canisters. My thought is two things. 1st, it seems that the US already has carbon canisters for paintball guns, whats the issue with ABS canister? http://www.ansgear.com/Empire_Ultra_72_4500_Compressed_Air_Paintball_Tank_p/empiretank724500ultra.htm

Also, when will Snowpulse have a carbon canister? Their canister weights 670 grams (more than ABS by almost 100 grams), but if it was carbon, that could drop weight significantly to maybe ~350g, saving almost .7 pounds as well. That would be great, seeing as the RAS bag is somewhere in 6.5lbs range, and this would drop it under 6.

It just seems like a no brainer and what is the hold up here?

GET ON IT COMPANIES!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:50 am 

Summersgone, PM Zak. He's been using the ABS system for a while (currently with the Arva add-on), and i'm pretty sure either he, or a buddy of ours, or both, were able to get hold of a carbon canister. Zak's tried a few iterations so he's got some insight, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:14 am 

Thanks,

Spoke to Zak, and he said the carbon is basically worthless. He got it a few years ago because the company forgot, and ABS won't refill it and hasn't had luck getting them to exchange for a steel cartridge.

Good to know about it all though, seems like a major pain. I was hoping there was a work around or something.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:19 am 

I suggest against the Ortovox pack, after doing several tours with demo unit for next season. It's a nice pack, very comfortable, but probably the pack with the least usable volume I have ever used. With the ABS system and shovel & probe it is almost full with barely enaugh space for a very packed fleece, 1l water bottle and small mountain medkit :shock:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:40 pm 

summersgone wrote:
Also, when will Snowpulse have a carbon canister? Their canister weights 670 grams...
That's a pain -- just realized that the US canister is heavier than the Euro-version (500g).

And, fully agree: carbon canisters would be great!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:41 am 

I don't really mind the steel canister. It's only a few hundred grams heavier, I can save that somewhere else. And even though I have the refillable Snowpulse, my shop still likes to swap canisters because it's faster for them so having a carbon canister will be more of a hassle to get refilled.

Also, as Flolm sais... The European canisters are lighter anyway. They are also much smaller, the Us canisters are longer. So for Snowpulse users with a refillable canister and a way to refill them yourself (scuba shop or something) you could probably use the european canisters and save a few grams and some space.

European canister:

US canister:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:36 am 

Snowpulse site says:

TYPES OF CYLINDERS :
300 bars, more compact and lighter / sold in Europe / Gas inside: Nitrogen / non-rechargeable - without manometer
207 bars (= 3000 psi), easier to refill and pressure monitor / sold to North and South America, / Gas inside: Dry Air / rechargeable - with manometer

So is the European one like ABS? Confused here. Its also 170 grams less, so .37 lbs.

I'd just like to see the advancement of carbon. I'm sure it will happen here with all companies in the next few years. I see snowpulse / Mammut probably making some of the lightest packs next year, but that's just hypothetical.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:20 am 

yes Jason, that is my understanding as well. Snowpulse uses nitrogen in Europe, and one just swaps out the cartridge after deployment. Nitrogen is used in all the ABS bags, and one of the reasons I prefer the ABS airbag system, is because nitrogen is more reliable as a gas for filling the bags at low temperatures. Of course, with nitrogen, we cannot rely on scuba shops and fire stations to fill our cannisters...
Looks like the Snowpulse nitrogen cylinder is also lighter, nice... So, maybe getting Snowpulse nitrogen versions in the US would be a good way to go (and owning two charged cartridges for quick replacement).

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:03 am 

I'm not 100% sure what the deal is, but there are refillable AIR cartridges for Snowpulse here in europe too. I know, because I have one. :lol: I also think that it's a lot smaller than the one they sell in the US. Maybe because they are not allowed to use the higer pressure in the US they have to make larger volume canisters? Here's an email reply from Snowpulse about buying an empty AIR canister for a plane trip from Europe to the US:

"We do have some EU cylinder air refillable but they are more expensive than the non refillable. The EU cylinder is the only available for the plane for transport, but we can not sale it in NA due to regulation.. "

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:51 am 

regarding snowpulse, I have the us air canister and prefer it to nitrogen, hypothetically, if you are entombed in a terrain trap or secondary as the bag gradually deflates maybe your poor blacked-out unconscious self will be able to breathe some of that nice stuff