Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 13/14 Never Summer Prospector Splitboard
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:50 am 

barrows,
how do you know how far apart the nose and tail measurements are in calculating that curve?

It would be awesome to have a formula where you could enter nose width, waist tail and length of contact area and figure out contact length surface area, have you taken a crack a that one?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:28 pm 

Scooby: I do not remember much from High School math, luckily there is the Internet. I used this calculator for the radius of an arc:

http://www.mathopenref.com/arcradius.html

It is not always entirely clear what dimension a manufacturer might mean when they say contact (or edge) length. I did use the 130 cm published in the catalog, even if it was 125 cm, the calculated radius would not change that much. I hope NS' published numbers are right, if so, this board really interests me with its taper and relatively moderate sidecut, but I fear a missprint here...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:31 am 

Did you try asking in an email? NS are usually very responsive.
I am interested in the Prospector as well. My Summit Split is too noodly for my taste, so something with increased stiffness from NS is very much welcome.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:04 am 

moridinbg wrote:
Did you try asking in an email? NS are usually very responsive.
I am interested in the Prospector as well. My Summit Split is too noodly for my taste, so something with increased stiffness from NS is very much welcome.

My Dealer (Bola) and I actually talked to one of their design engineers about it (they are buddies) and he was not totally sure on the dimensions, he did say the Prospector has a "GS type" sidecut. There are apparently a few demo boards floating about as well, so I might get to try one of those.
I am only doing preliminary research on boards for next year right now, so I am in no real hurry. Once it gets to be late summer, I can look further into it. I would prefer to just measure and actual board to be sure.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:21 pm 

My understanding is that, due to logistical and technical issues, the 167x's have not yet been produced.
i guess there's some shorter ones floating round, it would be interesting to see if they match the specs from the catalog

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:05 am 

You are dead on Karkis. Never Summer just moved their factory and they are playing catch up on production. Unfortunately it has put split run on the bottom of the list. There is a 161 Prospector out there and maybe one or two more. Last I heard they were making rounds for mags like Backcountry and such. I don't know if they are going to be able to get anymore done to take out and demo or not.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:55 am 

Thanks karkis and killz, that is good to know. So no 167Xs available to demo. I did hear they got the board back from the backcountry mag test.
The 167X is all I am really interested in, as it hits my sweetspot for a board which is long enough to charge, but short enough to flip around quickly (especially with the significant taper)... Just have to wait 'til late summer fall to get the full dope.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:09 am 

barrows, thanks for the link,

the best I found for surface area is

http://www.freshiez.net/skiarea.html

5cm increase in board length = the same increase in contact surface area (excluding nose and tail) as a 1cm width increase. This tool is certainly easier than trying to find the sector angle for various boards to complete the other formulas out there.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:23 pm 

Nice find. The missing metric. Using that calculator my go-to split is a 4335 (sq cm of surface area). This is an interesting basis of comparison between boards. But it will be confounded by how people variously define running surface in the context of early rise and early taper shovels and tails.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:27 am 

I was going to say a standard could be to clamp the middle of the board to a flat table, then press the nose and tail down with one hand and measure the daylight point, but how do you measure where the nose starts on a K2 tweekend or a tail on a Jones Hovercraft? If you press down one more centimeter of early rise, you add 33cm of surface area.

the numbers from the CAD program would be the ones to have

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:05 am 

I got some wet spring turns on the 161 Prospector this past Saturday.

Initial thoughts were that I felt right at home on this deck from turn one. No real adjustment period for me. I had thought the flat spot that was built in to increase traction while touring would some of the responsiveness out of turning in comparison with the regular rocker/camber design. I sure didn't notice it.

I can't really say if the skinning was improved or not. The conditions made for a pretty easy skin up was normally hard to skin terrain. If I can get out this weekend on it, maybe it will be a little more challenging.

I will say the board planes up on top of the snow quickly and charges through the crud like you would expect a Never Summer to do. I wish there were some powder days coming up to take it out in, but those look like they might not come until next year at this point. Maybe we'll get lucky and get one more next week before I have to bring her back to the factory.

Speaking of the factory, wow...

Much improved from the old one. It is obvious they have recently moved in and are still working on the flow, but it is almost there. They are going to be able to crank out some product with that facility for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:03 am 

Never Summer has launched their 13/14 website, so of course I quickly went there to see the 167X Prospector specs, they still seemed fishy to me...
Then I e-mailed NS to ask them if there is an error on the website. I got this response with the following specs:

Size Waist Edge Sidecut Tip/Tail
167X 26.2 134 Vario 890* 31.7/29.7

Kind of hard to believe that there is 134 cm of edge contact on a 167 board, unless NS measures board length true, rather than material length like most manufacturers. Well, if these numbers are right the sidecut is deeper than first reported, but still less (longer radius) than most NS boards. Not sure I want a board quite that long though (typically 166-167 boards have 126-130 edge contact). The numbers for the other sizes look off as well, I'll check the NS website in a few days to see if they have updated the specs for the full size run of the Prospector. If the 161X has contact around 126 or more, I might be able to get away with that... Maybe I'll try and find them in a shop and take my tape measure...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:00 am 

7.9m on the 167x?

Hoping to size up a Premier F1 at the Loveland Demo to get an idea, though not exact

Loveland Demo Dates November 9-14, 2013
Copper Mountain Demo Dates November 23-24, 2013
Keystone Demo Dates November 30 - December 1, 2013
Winter Park Demo Dates December 7, 2013
Eldora Demo Dates December 8, 2013
Canyons Demo Dates December 14-22, 2013
Brianhead Ski Resort Demo Dates December 14-22, 2013
Brighton Ski Resort Demo Dates December 14-22, 2013

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next