Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New beacon Ortovox 3+ VS Tracker 2
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:00 pm 

Surfy Turns,
The review I read said the 3+ didn't point behind you. They said it had an arrow but that it wasn't a 360 arrow. Were they mistaken?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:27 am 

I have a partner who uses the Ortovox 3+, and I have played with it a bit. I like the beacon, and the marking feature works well if you get into the terrible situation of multiple burials.
If you want marking with a BCA beacon, you will have to wait for the Tracker 3. The Tracker 3 has been delayed, hopefully it will finally be released for next season, but with K2's purchase of BCA, who knows what will happen? If the Tracker is in reality as good as it appears to be on the Internet, it should be a really good beacon: with a good marking feature, the bright LED display familiar to anyone who uses a BCA beacon, and a nice smaller form factor. You can find details of the Tracker 3 on the web (Google it). The processor on the Ortovox 3+ seems a little slower than what I am familiar with on the Tracker beacons, especially when one gets into the fine search mode.
In any case, of course TB is right, one must practice with their beacon until searching becomes second nature, and practice is likely the most important factor-that said, I am readu for a new beacon, and hoping the Tracker 3 will actually become available, and work as well as promised.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:18 pm 

peacefrog wrote:
Surfy Turns,
The review I read said the 3+ didn't point behind you. They said it had an arrow but that it wasn't a 360 arrow. Were they mistaken?

Hey Peacefrog, that beacon review is correct. It does not have a back arrow. I've had this beacon for a year, and I've thought the entire time that it had a back arrow. The good news is that I've never passed over a signal to find out that there's not a back arrow. Sorry for the misinformation but thanks for catching it.

Anyway, I still say the 3+ is really easy to use.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:26 am 

Tracker, ortovox, pulse... These are all reputable transceivers. Whatever beacon you choose just make sure to practice with it. They all work fast, some mark, some don't. I use a pulse and have it set up in a way that switching to analog is a snap. This is handy in multiple burials scenrios as sometimes older beacons signals overlap and are heard as 1 signal. It's handy in complex scenarios. Marking is useful for advanced triage techniques but not necessary. Anyways practice makes perfect!