Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need advice on skin modification
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:28 pm 

Hoping y'all can offer some helpful hints.

Just bought some new skins, Voile Tractors for my Burton split. Been using Burton skins for a while now. I ordered long skins for my 166 to have extra length to put in a tail clip. Still not as long as I anticipated, like 3 inches or so from the end.

Do I have to fold over the skin edge to put in the tail clip? I couldn't get the Coll-Tex clips, too far away/expensive. The reason I ask is that the tip clip that comes on the skins is riveted in with no fold in the skin. Without folding I would gain some length. Also do I need a certain rivet gun to put the rivets in? No directions on my tail clips. My other issue is making sure the skins are exactly symmetrical so they fold over on each other perfectly. If all else fails I could go no tail clip, but my old skins lasted longer with them.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:12 pm 

It's not necessary to fold over the skins, but you would need some sort of metal between the rivets. Basically the same as the metal on your new tractor skins. I'm not sure what rivets you are dealing with, I attached a g3 tail clip to a pair of skins that came with crush rivets which you can crush/attach with a hammer (carefully) or a vice.

If you haven't already done so check out the sts thread there is some good discussion there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:07 pm 

got a photo of how you made the G3 tail clip to you board? I just got a pair of G3 skins and cant figure out how to make the clip stay put. they keep sliding off the too the side and the only way I can see it is that the glue hold the clip in place, and this is basicly what I'm trying to avoid.

admitedly I havent put too much effort in to it yet, just picked them up a couple hours ago.

advice tips and ridcule all welcome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:44 am 

Josh,
if the skins are not long enough maybe this will give you some input ...

nose:

tail:

this is the way I did on my first split years ago which has been delivered without skins. I had to order every part separately and then: DIY! :wink: the red material is tarpaulin/canvas cover (sorry, don't know the right word ...) from a truck. instead of stitching you can use rivets. but I would prefer stitching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:16 am 

THanks for the reply, Jogi you should go into business for this shit. Custom split board accessories. I think the length will work for me, but I will consider your idea of adding length if needed. How do you tell what kind of rivets I got, I don't know if they're "crush" rivets. They came with the tail kit. Looks like I'm going to the hardware store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:22 pm 

Quote:
How do you tell what kind of rivets I got, I don't know if they're "crush" rivets.

Most of the "crush" rivets have a small button head that will snap to the longer piece. Then you can just hammer them on a solid surface. They smash pretty good and the button head will usually dent slightly. Hope that helps.