Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sicksplits is NOT the way to go!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:09 pm 

No shit y'all would be bummed ... probably enough to join a relevant forum and post a complaint. I think it's totally legit to publicly call out shitty work. Even without pictures, nothing about the original post was trollish. Pictures definitely back it up. Maybe next time let's not flame someone because their first post happens to be a complaint.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:54 pm 

For several weeks in December I saw quite a few posts in the Boise Craigslist from SickSplits that were advertisements of their services. Beginning of January there were several posts from a user saying SickSplits was a ripoff and they ruined his board. I never really paid any mind until I ran across this thread. It would be awesome for some regional shops to be able to offer quality work and do a good business from splitting boards. It's a shame when someone is running a carpet bagger operation and doing shotty work, it affects the whole perception of splitboarding.

I visited the SickSplits sight and it looked very legit, maybe they need to round it out with more of their finished work to do some positive PR for their operation.

Prior SwallowTail
Jones Hovercraft
Chimera Sceptre
W/Spark R&D Bindings, Spark R&D Skins
Twitter/Instagram: @theScottBikeman
http://adrianmontgomery.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:50 pm 

+1 for what Stuka said. There was nothing wrong w/ AreJay's original post, even w/out the photos. Seems like he/she is new here, so cut him/her some slack. I would've done the same thing had my board been trashed like that.

Glad to hear it's getting resolved, AreJay.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:10 pm 

So a couple years ago. SBers pretty much vilified (and perhaps justified to do so) a Winter Park Custom DIY splitboard shop. See http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12157&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Was your board cut with a water-jet?

What I do not understand is SickSplits says they use a WaterJet service to cut your board. So how can a water-jet cut board be so messed up? :scratch:

Lastly for Newbies: if your considering price of a DIY Custom to a Factory Split. Note that I have been able to obtain at the end of season sales 2 new splitboards for less that $600 (between $400 to six hundred dollars) (without the Voile interface and skins) and one used K2 complete kit splitboard for $450.00 through Gear Trade.com (with the Voile interface and skins, actually the K2 split was like new, as the there was a problem with ones of the skins. K2 customer service fixed the skin for me :thumpsup: ).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:22 pm 

stuka wrote:
No shit y'all would be bummed ... probably enough to join a relevant forum and post a complaint. I think it's totally legit to publicly call out shitty work. Even without pictures, nothing about the original post was trollish. Pictures definitely back it up. Maybe next time let's not flame someone because their first post happens to be a complaint.

Respectfully disagreed. He was appropriately challenged, and responded by posting pics, which made it a useful and substantiated thread rather than a drive-by.
My first read of the thread was empathy for the OP, as I've been on the screwed end of things, but the follow ups reminded me that there's two sides to every story and it's not sufficient to post something like that without evidence.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:02 am 

thx for the PM arejay

i'm with breadbox

no one attacked arejay, we were just holding him accountable for his post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:28 pm 

I don't know if this is too personal information to post, so ask me if you'd like me to remove it.

I've had my Burton Fish split by Nick at Sicksplits. He did an excellent job. I had a little problem with the delay, I think it took three weeks instead of two or something. Certainly not a huge deal.

Anyhow in an attempt to explain the clearly shoddy craftsmanship that AreJay received I'd like to mention that apparently (I learned this from the new head repair tech) there was drama between Nick and SnoCon. He had to move to a new location in Sodo I believe to continue his work around the same time as AreJay got his board split.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:56 pm 

if you take someone's brand new snowboard and do THAT to it, charge them money, and have the balls to actually return the board to them looking like that instead of doing the right thing and replacing it - you deserve whatever backlash you get.

i wouldn't have taken back the board when/if they gave it to me looking like that. i'd tell them to keep it, give me my money back, and buy me another new snowboard - that is the only acceptable outcome.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:40 am 

CORRECT ME IF IM Wrong but I believe I met this kid at splitfest in sliverton. he was talking shit about sicksplits and had the board to prove it. Luckily he had some good carma pioint and ended up winning a BRAND NEW voile board at the raffle. I have a sicksplits setup and have had no problems with it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:33 pm 

AreJay wrote:
I just recently, well I sent my board in October , got my board back from sicksplits. They had told me two week turn around and quality craftsmanship. I had sent a brand new board to get split and waited 3 months for them to send it back. The work they did sucked and they sent it in a box that was so old it was ripped open by the time I got it. They convinced me to get inside edges even though I didn't really think they were necessary, the edges they put in we're uneven and created a long gap from were they ended to end of tip&tail. The rivits for the tip&tail clips are weak and one is split. Also one of the ptex circle plugs was cracked and soon fell out with minimal use. They charged me in full+ a paypal fee and even tried to get me to pay outta state tax. I had missed out on several trips waiting. Also the main guy Nick Parko, or something like that, left or got sick.
In short don't even deal with these space cadets. Every town has somewhere where they have machine shop with a water jet, not special :?, go ask cant be that much to make one strait cut.

Did you get this resolved?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:48 pm 

Let me say first that I'm a SickSplits customer, and I think they did a fantastic job with my board.

However, I saw this board in person at Silverton Splitfest, and yeah I agree fully with the OP. I was skeptical too until I saw it.

Luckily, RJ didn't get turned off to splitting, and won a brand new Artisan at the splitfest (hows that for Karma!) so he's now well equipped to shred.

Honestly after the good experience I had with SS I can't believe they would return the board to him looking like that. :nononno:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:27 pm 

It's worth knowing that Nick - the fella who's in the video started SickSplits, and pioneered the water-jet process has not been involved in the company for some time due to some heavy personal stuff.
FYI

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:48 pm 

You would think that whoever is running this business currently would jump on here with an explanation. Sounds like the company has changed hands, and location since Nick split one of my boards 1.5 years ago. Mistakes happen and it could have been handled professionally. A similar professional approach on this board would go along way if the current owners wanted to grow their business. Kind of hard to understand.