Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: early may travel ideas?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:00 am 

that looks like a pretty sweet road trip HFT....Noice! :thatrocks:

whhhipsnake!

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:51 am 

If you go to AK yo get to drive through BC which is awesome, and plenty of spots to explore. You may drive through fort nelson a tiny logging town on mile 99 of the alaskan hwy, which I lived in for two years growing up. Not that there's any riding there, but you can think of me as you drive through knowing I'm jealous...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:35 pm 

I think I'd pick a spot, probably In Alaska, Kenai or thompson pass or wherever that has the best snowpack get there fast and stay there for the whole 3 weeks or whatever. that way one tour will build into another, you'll end up getting a real good feel for the snowpack and terrain, you'll learn where to go in poorer visibility and get back farther whereas if you stay moving you won't know as much about each spot you go and won't get as deep into the good stuff probably because you'll only the have the weather that you had when you were there for a short time. Obviously split from a spot if the weather/snow gets really bad. adn chase a good storm on a local level :twocents:

oops, missed the part about it being mostly a road trip :headbang:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:54 pm 

Scooby2 wrote:
I think I'd pick a spot, probably In Alaska, Kenai or thompson pass or wherever that has the best snowpack get there fast and stay there for the whole 3 weeks or whatever. that way one tour will build into another, you'll end up getting a real good feel for the snowpack and terrain, you'll learn where to go in poorer visibility and get back farther whereas if you stay moving you won't know as much about each spot you go and won't get as deep into the good stuff probably because you'll only the have the weather that you had when you were there for a short time. Obviously split from a spot if the weather/snow gets really bad. adn chase a good storm on a local level :twocents:

oops, missed the part about it being mostly a road trip :headbang:

Sage advice. Its always tough to dial in a new place. Though I have personally witnessed Ale destroy long approaches.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:56 am 

Thanks again for your ideas everyone.

Some of the close to home stuff like hwy 20 and victoria are on our list for quicker trips. Would be cool to go do some sea kayaking. My girl is low adrenaline.

Lots of familiar stuff too. Yellowstone tetons was definate consideration. We've been to west ys to bile in the park a couple times. Surreal to be sledding next to a heard of buffalo, who arent quite happy you are there. This was the days before guided tours and it was just her and I 2 up. Want to see it with less snow.. Nd cold! ThermL features are impossible to see with the extra steam from the cold air.

Not concrete yet, but I think I am hitting the road this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:58 am 

Scooby, that is a solid method, and what I would probably do if it where just me... maybe next season. Call this my intro to.