Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: early may travel ideas?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:56 am 

I need some Inspiration...

My girl is taking the first two weeks of may off of work for a roadtrip. Origanally we had planned to go to Cali and visit tex and the Sierra, but the snow outlook is grim?

Another option on the table is driving to alaska. This would involve me soloing one direction and her flying one way to save her travel time. She only has two weeks, I have from now til may 23.

It's her vacation, and her only desire is that it be (mostly)a road trip. I am still hoping to get some riding in. Day trips only.

So... if you had the first two weeks of may, lived on the west coast, where would you go? Where sill the best riding be outside of washington and oregon around that time?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: early may travel ideas?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:41 am 

Given the choice, I would do Alaska. But, Im game for Shasta you could go all the way down to San Fransico. Dana plateau may be doable

Sorry for the Thin snowpack this season. I thought we would be getting together down here. :x

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:27 pm 

I live in Washington state and if I had this option, given the criteria, I would head south, stopping to tour Crater Lake, Shasta, and maybe Lassen. I would check out the Sierra for sure, even with the state of the current snowpack, mostly because I love the Sierra. I would still check out the Tahoe basin and maybe do Tallac if possible. And then keep heading south to check out Sonora Pass.

That's what I would do. I'm in the same situation pretty often as you. My girlfriend and I love to take roadtrips and camp out along the way. I splitboard and she does not, but she is pretty low maintenance and can keep herself occupied with just hanging out in the mountains.

The good news is that either way, you can't lose. Alaska or the Sierra is a win-win for me. I'm sure your chance of finding a touring partner is much greater if you go the California route.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:12 pm 

AK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:26 pm 

would love to have you come down here and ride the sierra but it is all but done this year.

i'll meet ya at shasta though. you should work your way down here and hit the oregon volcanos.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:10 pm 

bozeman, to cooke city, to jackson, to slc. Cooke is off the hook in may, riding wise, nothing for the girl is she doenst. we have had snow in bozeman everyday since friday and it doesnt look like its letting up soon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:02 pm 

Sounds funny to recommend coming out to the mountains of the Greater Yellowstone when I'm constantly dreaming of heading your way, but things will probably be pretty good around here at that time. Plus May 1st, a bunch of free camping options open up in the Jackson area. Also, if the ladyfriend doesn't ride, Yellowstone is right there. It can be pretty awesome to experience the typical tourist activities that time of year since it's outside the main touron season. Can't say if all the roads would be open by then or not though... but would be worth looking in to.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:40 pm 

I would spend some time on Hwy 20, climbing in Mazama and touring near Wa Pass and Rainy Pass then head east and north into Canada towards Revelstoke and then further north and circle west towards Pemberton. From there I'd head south to tour and ride bikes in Whistler and then camp and climb in Squamish before making the drive home. I know it's not very exotic but there is a lot of good stuff close to home.

Another option would be to go explore Vancouver Island. I haven't been over there yet but I bet there is still plenty of snow at the north end of the island. I'd head over to Port Angeles, tour at Hurricane Ridge and then catch the ferry to Victoria. Surf for a day on the west side of the island and then start driving north.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:06 pm 

how about the icefields parkway?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:02 pm 

saign wrote:
AK

+1, always a solid choice

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:25 pm 

Thanks guys!

All solid spots. A few familiar, and a few we want to hit. Definatly considerd the bozeman jackson loop. Been to the area several times but there is sooo much.

Think we are leaning towards ak. We'd like to get a little further with so much time..kinda excited. Time to do some homework.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:26 pm 

I can still always come down to shast without nyla when we get back.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:26 am 

something like this?

Dont forget the gas money