Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: iguchi & jones do the otterbody
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:14 pm 

whats going on in this thread??

who gives a shit if they had a guide?

a great accomplishment - not super amazing or all time but pretty damn cool.

Quote:
I suspect many folks on this forum are more accomplished mountaineers, and snowboard mountaineers, than Jeremy Jones is;

seriously Barrows?
I'm sure some, maybe even you, are more accomplished, but come one, I'm guessing less than 1 percent of people participating on this forum are even considering lines like that.

The constant buildup and knock down attitudes towards pros is pretty funny. not here to swing from JJ's nuts, but i would consider him a very accomplished snowboard mountaineer.

I think JJ wants to find killer decents with good snow, but someone like Koch will ride anything that can be called a line regardless of how smooth or quick he can ride it. Both awesome in my book.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:25 pm 

wasatch surf wrote:
I think jeremy jones is a pretty shit snowboarder, there are scores of guys that can ride circles around him.

LMAO

Something in the water in Utah, I swear. Nothing but kooks....and mormons.

Jones is nearing the end of his marketable career. He found a niche no one has exploited and is milking it before he's gonna be too old or it's played out. So what if he gets a lot of press? Dude's making a lot of money and shredding the raddest lines in the world. He wins. And I'm sure he doesn't care what any of you nitty mountaineer wannabees think. He gets my respect.

And at least he's not doing glorified traverses and pawning them off as mountaineering accomplishments.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:41 pm 

Nick, thanks for the info. Griber is another of the bad ass snowboard mountaineer guys, a very, very, accomplished dude for sure. Turiano probably knows of other snowboard descents if there are any. In any case, the Otter Body is a very serious descent, and hardly a trade route. Some folks posting here seem to be down playing how serious a line this is: ride it first before you presume to know. Unless one would consider Pyramid here in CO a trade route... Sure it gets done occasionally, but only by very, very accomplished athletes who know exactly what they are doing.

Powderjunkie: I think if you asked JJ himself, he would say that he is a relative newbie when it comes to snowboard mountaineering-this is not in any way a criticism of Jones, or his riding, but true snowboard mountaineering is not what he has spent most of his career doing: he is a relative newcomer to doing technical ascents/descents. No doubt he is a bad ass freerider, and has been one of the best for a decade now, but that is not the same thing as snowboard mountaineering.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:52 pm 

true dat.

JJ would be pretty far down the list of truly accomplished snowboard mountaineers.

and maybe I have no clue who is on this forum or what they have accomplished.

That's what is great about this game - you think you are killing it out there, but you are really just playin' in the kiddie pool. :headbang:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:05 pm 

To be perfectly clear, it is not my intention to criticize JJ's or anyones' riding. I thought I had already stated how much respect I have for Jones' abilities and professionalism, but in case there is any doubt: I think that JJ is one of the very best freeriders our sport has ever seen, a member of a very select group of 6-10 of the best freeriders that have ever ridden a snowboard.
I talked to Jones here in Boulder, and he suggested that he really wanted to center "Higher" around a single, really big objective. He did not reveal (or perhaps know at that point) what that objective might be, but I suspect that he will be doing more snowboard mountaineering in order to gain additional experience in preparation for filming a "big objective". It has also been suggested that filming of "Higher" may take more than the two years required for "Deeper" and "Further", not surprising really if they are really going to go for something big: the bigger the objective, the more attempts which are generally required to have a successful descent.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:59 pm 

Id love to see some AK biguns get ridden like Fairweather, University, St Elias etc, then move on to the Himalaya or maybe Peru if conditions permit. That would be an entertaining film!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:34 pm 

I would be stoked to see him do a davenport style trip up to Denali...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:36 am 

BGnight wrote:
wasatch surf wrote:
I think jeremy jones is a pretty shit snowboarder, there are scores of guys that can ride circles around him.

LMAO

Something in the water in Utah, I swear. Nothing but kooks....and mormons.

Jones is nearing the end of his marketable career. He found a niche no one has exploited and is milking it before he's gonna be too old or it's played out. So what if he gets a lot of press? Dude's making a lot of money and shredding the raddest lines in the world. He wins. And I'm sure he doesn't care what any of you nitty mountaineer wannabees think. He gets my respect.

And at least he's not doing glorified traverses and pawning them off as mountaineering accomplishments.

uh have you not watched a snowboard movie in the past 4-5 years. Jones can ride steep, technical shit for sure, but so can a lot of other people. Plus he doesn't really have any freestyle aspect that he brings to the big mountain. As much as I hate to say it I would rather watch anyone from the art of flight or absinthe films than jones.

because ascending and descending multiple peaks in a traverse is less of a mountaineering accomplishment than climbing one peak? :scratch:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:02 pm 

wasatch surf wrote:
because ascending and descending multiple peaks in a traverse is less of a mountaineering accomplishment than climbing one peak? :scratch:

If your climbing up and sending the raddest lines on each mountain then maybe but that's not what goes on during "traverses". Jones is a straight up and down rider. I don't care how well or how much someone can skin. Skinning is boring.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:48 pm 

the main reason jones' gets so much recognition is actually a very sad one-

his name is very american.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:42 pm 

Not that anyone cares about this (besides Barrows & me), but I need to correct an earlier statement. I asked a prominent Teton ski & climbing historian about it, and he said that John Griber has definitely descended the Otterbody, but he thought it may have been on skis! So Jones=possible first descent!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:08 pm 

HikeforTurns wrote:
Id love to see some AK biguns get ridden like Fairweather, University, St Elias etc, then move on to the Himalaya or maybe Peru if conditions permit. That would be an entertaining film!

I have seen the S side of Uni on a fly by… It is an incredible line. Good footage of riders descending that could be really fun to see.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:19 pm 

Yes, that line would be the pinnacle of shred. Someday hopefully I will give it a whirl.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next