Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:20 am 

Bodynazi wrote:
thanks for the link Zach. I can see that style making sense on groomers, but I'm still missing something @ the whole carving deal in the BC (at least anything other than casual wide open runs). Running steep couloirs where you have to make v. fast & precise turns doesn't seem condusive to v. steep angles & 'carving'. Again, obviously I'm less than a novice at it. I'll have to do another area day on groomers sometime.

Oh, I agree 100%... in tighter, steeper terrain; you can't really lay trenches. Learning how to carve though (keep in mind, I'm not that good at it), helps to show you how to utilize steeper angles and different parts of yout boots.

In steeper, tighter terrain I still "carve" my turns.... I just don't do huge radius turns. I tend to lift the board up and around, from my hips, sinking the edge in about halfway through the normal turn radius.... of course, I also sometimes just skid for life :lol:

I also had the advantage of advantage of a lot of phone time with Fin at Bomber and some slope time with Pete Santenello (2nd at Verbier in hard boots), when I first made the switch.

Zach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:50 am 

Biggest advantage of hard boots is complete control and the ability to whip the board around almost without thinking about it. "Hey, this turn is taking me on a collision course with a bunch of trees that looked sparser than they are... time to change course"... on a steep slope or in powder this can be strenuous turning with your feet and toes and leaning, but with hardboots I find that simply bending my knees more and turning my hips does the trick.

Needless to say, I am of the opinion that turning one's hips is less strenuous than shifting one's entire body position through the feet. But, YMMV. I couldn't care less about carving nowadays -- I just want maximum control. I will be even more stoked when I get the cant/lift of my bindings dialed in! Thanks for the tips Zach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:14 pm 

Quote from a die-hard soft-booter, today, his second day on hard boots, in deeeeeeeeeeppppppp powder:

"Holy Crap! I can't believe I didn't do this sooner"

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:55 pm 

I am completely enamoured with the idea of bc riding in hardboots. The competent hiking, the easier binding entry, the weight savings, the edging power...sigh!

But it seems that the higher angles are more akin to skiing (which I have mostly renounced) and the lower angles must be tough on the knees even with canting. Woe is me.

And I like to carve. I can put down the same thin arcs as hardbooters.But at maybe half their speed of course.

Unfortunately, i think hardboots arre not in my future. I'm thinking of Hillman's highway which is always bumped up and almost always crowded and the Gulf of Slides ski trail which has few sections 10 -12 feet in width. Neithe r of which seem conducive to the hardboot style. Not saying it isn't done but that I don't have the time or inclination to relearn that much.

Thanks all and good riding!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:00 pm 

Zach wrote:
Quote from a die-hard soft-booter, today, his second day on hard boots, in deeeeeeeeeeppppppp powder:

"Holy Crap! I can't believe I didn't do this sooner"

:D
I said the same thing about my newly purchased swallowtail a week and a half ago, using my hardboots, of course! Rats, I promised not to split it! Might be breaking that one!