Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: iguchi & jones do the otterbody
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:27 am 

So shredgnar, don't you think the style is a little headscratching? Is it really a progression, as you say, if you can't get to the top and safely down on your own?

It may be "sick", "rad", "gnar", blah blah... but are you seriously saying that a guided ascent/descent constitutes progress?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:51 am 

You guys just don't get it. This might not even be for the movie, maybe these guys are trying to learn and progress to the point where they can climb higher peaks. Spending time on the rocks and in the mountains is all part of that. They aren't hiding the fact that they are being guided and are supported, this is just a blog about two guys climbing the Grand and riding it, but y'all gotta get your panties in a bunch about it. It's pretty pathetic really, for a couple of hardcore mountaineers like yourselves to be so bent out of shape about it that you have to pound your chests on an internet forum.

I'm out of this one, better things to do.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:06 pm 

I doubt the guides feel the same way as some of these posters. I'm no mountaineer but love to hike and ride. See nothing wrong with Jones or who-ever learning from those more knowledgable than themselves. Personaly i've learned alot about snow science from friends willing to spend time with me in the backcountry (classes/books are worth while as well).
Hopefully Jones gives credit were credit is due..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:32 pm 

shredgnar wrote:
You guys just don't get it. This might not even be for the movie, maybe these guys are trying to learn and progress to the point where they can climb higher peaks. Spending time on the rocks and in the mountains is all part of that. They aren't hiding the fact that they are being guided and are supported, this is just a blog about two guys climbing the Grand and riding it, but y'all gotta get your panties in a bunch about it. It's pretty pathetic really, for a couple of hardcore mountaineers like yourselves to be so bent out of shape about it that you have to pound your chests on an internet forum.

I'm out of this one, better things to do.

I'm not beating my chest or bent out of shape in the slightest, all I'm saying is he is tricking you guys, yourself included shredgnar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:16 pm 

Chest thumping? Pathetic? Jeez shred! I'm not trying to take away from their achievement or anything like that. Like they care what I think! I only posted because nobody had mentioned that it was a guided climb/descent. I think that's important, and I also wanted to give props to my pal Brendan, their guide. That's all. You brought up progression (you never answered my question by the way!).

I will be REALLY impressed when someone shreds this route by their own means!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:20 pm 

Don't forget Tom Burt and Scott Newsome were hired to guide the Deeper crew in Alaska. I remember Jeremy and X DRue had guides in Europe too.

Why would you not want someone watching your back when you're riding high consequence lines in unfamiliar terrain. I respect their decision and do not think a decent with a guide is any less worthy than without. You climb the motha, then ride it, you tha man. No * needed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:50 pm 

I found some pretty high-quality video footage of the Otterbody descent. Looks like they did not use guides, but were serenaded by a country music performer during the descent.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:17 pm 

nice shred in that video :guinness: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:13 am 

I'm pretty sure it's standard operating procedure for the big boy film companies to have guides along on all of their trips, which is the responsible thing to do (and I bet the guides are stoked to get the work). When I'm rich and famous I'm going to have an in-house polar bear safety expert on call.

I guess the Deeper movies are more enjoyable to watch if you remember that they're trying to construct a piece of entertainment, not a documentary; a snowboard movie, not a climbing/mountaineering movie. No doubt it would be lame to include an ascent like this one and not mention the other folks on the climb who did most of the rope work (kinda like that 'solo' line at the end of Further that was obviously not solo). But in that blog post that was linked Exum and the guides were clearly mentioned from the outset. To be perfectly honest, though, I'd be a little surprised if this made it into the movie beyond a quick dramatic shot or two...(not really a super-shreddable line; the peak is too familiar, gets done a lot, and is not exotic/foreign, etc.) But if you spend a lot of time in Jackson, of course you want to take your board to the top of the Grand. Who wouldn't??? It's a friggn sick peak.

christoph benells wrote:
I feel like jones is really taking advantage of snowboarders' lack of knowledge in alpine climbing.

Why is there someone on cliff above jones but he is tied in as if he is leading? If he is leading he needs to protect that belay...

My original post, that started the thread, had to edit that, it was very opinionated at first, changed it to see others thoughts first

Hmmm...well he could be trying to pull a fast one, but I think it's just as likely that they were climbing as two rope teams, or even more likely that he was being belayed from the dudes above and you just can't see the rope...climbing as a team of three kinda sucks but that's what it would look like....

Anyway, I think it's awesome that those guides were able to get some tourist-gapers from CA up the Grand and down the Otter Body safely :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:25 am 

Yes, could be a team of three w jones in the middle. That actually makes sense.

It's easy to forget its just a snowboard flick when they edit on about this gnarly climb, bivy here, rappel that, ice screw this...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:28 am 

christoph benells wrote:
Yes, could be a team of three w jones in the middle. That actually makes sense.

It's easy to forget its just a snowboard flick when they edit on about this gnarly climb, bivy here, rappel that, ice screw this...

Yea, for sure, sometimes it's best to watch these things on mute, but I'm sure the kids eat it up...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:28 am 

I saw the first Jones movie and what I really liked about it was Jeremy's humility and candor as to how intimidating the terrain at a few points were. I mean that was the fun part, not to see an experienced high level mountaineer ho-hum his way around some exposed terrain, but to watch the process of a rider start taking bigger bites in the mountains and chew on 'em a bit.

My take: If you don't have pictures, and maybe it was written about, it was probably a lot wilder than the one on film.

also, seems to me that on a board you really want to be able to open it up a bit and are looking for good snow that you sink into rather than trying to find the difficult, super steep and technical lines to get down even if it's hard snow for mountaineering interest, seems like the board and the high angle ice and rock are sort of at odds with each other aesthetically. It's one thing to access good snowboard terrain through climbing, but doing it to edge-set and hop turn all the way down in consequential terrain, I don't see it, I know other people do.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:49 pm 

This is an impressive feat. skierconqueso told me about it, as he watched it live (by accident). They got it in pretty much perfect conditions it sounds. I don't believe you couldn't do that line without guides, in that condition safely. Their expertise allowed them to get it that good (good enough for your viewing pleasure hopefully, you don't want to watch crap hardpack descents). I'd like him to use a guide every time if it gets my stoke up and keeps JJ doing what he does.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next