Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: UTAH 2012-13 Conditions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:55 pm 

Nice fish wasatch surf! Are your rods reel-less? Reminds be of the cane poles I used to used to catch bluegill with in ponds.

Anyway, the wind is still doing its thing out there.

Spent the day in days. The snow was still really fun on the north aspects once you got below the wind damage up high.

However, exiting down south facing flagstaff face around 3 was miserable. The whole way down was a nasty breakable crust/windskin/damp snow combo. Really had to work hard to stay on top/turn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:43 pm 

I had no idea arches was so close to home. Hilarious!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:34 pm 

switchback- yeah those are tenkara rods, which is an old Japanese version of fly fishing that is getting popular in the US. Exactly like a cane pole, but they collapse for easy transport and work great on the smaller streams we have in Utah.

mej- yeah that was all in Utah, all the 'bows were from the lower provo. they are spawning right now so they are all over the place.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:35 pm 

just thought I'd post this up in here...some bad news

http://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanch ... ssler-peak
http://fox13now.com/2013/04/11/crews-lo ... od-canyon/

Sucks this happened, didn't know him personally, appreciate all the work these guys do.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:35 pm 

Those UDOT guys are so sick, so strong. Sometimes I'll spot a track going up that N. Side/S. facing side of BCC kind of across just above Mineral trailhead, clearing the rode but probably also hitting some sick lines no one ever hits. If I had a dream job it would be that. My thoughts and prayers to the family and kids.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:53 pm 

Saturday was amazing! Sunshine, 2 feet of blower powder .... :shock: and then I woke up.
So we rode this instead.

It was still awesome though. It was more for the adventure of it than the snow quality.

This tour was a bit closer to home so had some great views. I could have used some sunshine though.

Observations include layers of knife hard ice blocks, sticks and pine needles.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:16 pm 

Did two tours today. This morning I putzed around brighton, taking advantage of the chair while I still can. It was coming down pretty good this morning.

Todays snow was really light and fluffy but yesterdays snow has definately crusted up on all aspects

Id say about a 10-12 inches fell since yestedays snow. North facing rode bottomless. West was soft, you could feel the crust on east and south had a really hard, unpleasant ice crust under the light snow.

The snow really wanted to sluff. I cleared a couple chutes with slope cuts, and it seemed that i was getting chased by them with everyturn. But Id call them very managable if you were expecting them.

The north winds we have been having lately have been putting cornices is funny places.

And the seagull is getting fat lately. More of an eagle these days.

In the evening I poached alta for dusk patrol. High elevation northfacing was still really good, maybe a tiny bit denser, despite the afternoon sun. All other aspects were unpleasant to turn on.

For some reason she didnt take her board out of touring mode for the decent....

Round 2 moving in..

Really fun day overall and it sure felt good to ride powder at 800PM on April 16th.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:12 pm 

I was able to squeeze out a quick tour this morning. Did one lab from wolverine peak down to mary lake. North facing was still dry but it had settled some. Still rode amazing, especially for mid april.

Another pic of some more north wind cornices..

The chute was a bit wind scoured near the top.

Is it swimming season yet?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:48 pm 

All this talk on the Oqhirrh weather thread got me excited to get out there. This morning I biked up the closed Middle Canyon Road to the White Pine Flat road, where I was able to begin skinning (~6800'). I skinned up the drainage, and then through a beautiful aspen glade to the ridge east of White Pine Cirque Peak. From there I ascended/traversed to Piney Pass and thence up to Kelsey Peak. Rode the east face of Kelsey Peak for about 2200 feet of best-I've-ever-had-in-Utah corn. It was really good. Really good. Too bad its so warm this afternoon and gonna be even warmer tomorrow. I'm sure the refreeze tomorrow morning will be totally superficial. After that I ascended a snowfree ridge to the top of White Pine Cirque and descended that back to my bike, then coasted back to the car. The corn in White Pine Cirque wasn't quite as good as run one, but still high quality. The north facing parts of the cirque held nice settled powder down to about 9500'. That will probably change by tomorrow though.

Sorry, no camera, no pics. It doesn't look like there will be any precip for a while, and hopefully cooler temps this coming week will continue the corn harvest.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:17 pm 

attempted the grunge the other day. way too damn hot and the mountain started falling down around us, rode one of the pinball alleys and got the hell out. long walk for a 2000 ft shot, but it was a real nice day and no one around until we got back to the parking lot.

Not today

You shall not pass!

Weird

i'm a loser

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:14 pm 

What a good season it was. Fun touring with new people and wish I could have hooked up with more people off of here. Does anyone know when the Uintas start to melt out? I am getting antsy about getting some trail runs in. Anyone want to trail run this summer?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:52 pm 

Snowvols wrote:
What a good season it was. Fun touring with new people and wish I could have hooked up with more people off of here. Does anyone know when the Uintas start to melt out? I am getting antsy about getting some trail runs in. Anyone want to trail run this summer?

Why wait until summer? :wink: If its vert you're looking for, I've been getting up to the 8500-9000' range lately. Shoot me a txt if you wanna go there.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:59 pm 

Holy shit dude, you've got to get a flowing cape to go with that look :wink:
wasatch surf wrote:
i'm a loser

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next