Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oregon Cascades
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:01 pm 

Spent the night at Devil's Lake adjacent to S. Sister. Ran the sled, gear and partner in tow to the lake and set up camp. Skinned up the super deep pow to the top of the ridge below S. Sister. Deep fresh snow made for slow traveling. Stayed in the trees and avoided avy terrain at all costs. Checked out the snowpack in a couple different areas. Consensus is a lot of new snow but bond isn't bad. Finished the hike up top and rode the trees down to the cliff band. Not steep enough with feet of fresh pow limiting turns. Found a cool slot with no terrain trap and took turns on it. Super sick line with open glades down to the skin track.

Started dumping so we skinned back to camp to meet the others. Had a great night and woke up to a foot of fresh. Realized that busting the track with the sled/tow may be a long day. Worked out alright, only a few wipe outs to get through the 3' drifts. Got back a bit too late and had to pass on more backcountry due to a bit of warming.

Overall we need a break in storms to help things settle. Never found any really weak layers, just lots of thick layers due to big dumps of snow in the past month. We've got over 7' of snowpack at 6000. Once things settle Oregon BC is going to go off!! :D I can't wait to get out of the trees and up into some of the bowls. But it just snowed another foot at Bachy today, and snow forecasted all week. Hard to complain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:05 am 

Spent the weekend before yours at Moraine Lake. The only thing we have seen was continous falling snow, low clowds and even more snow. :D

In the afternoon at Moraine Lake the clouds opened up for 20 minutes giving a spectacular view of South Sister. Here a coupla pics

high contrasts in the white

South Sister from Moraine Lake

getting ready for an other lap

Post subject: Tasty
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:53 am 

Those lines look sweet. Your lucky to be blessed with a clearing at all, it's been a while since we've seen the mountains lately. How hard was it to follow the Devil's Lake Trail? We struggled to stay on it so just went up the ridge. Way to represent the oregon BC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:29 am 

It was about that hard :wink:

We were a group of 5 strong track layers, so it was not too exhausting. One of the guys knew the area well from previous visits, he had a good idea where to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:52 pm 

That area looks so nice. I know it helps to have a sled or a six pack to hitch a ride. I've only done Tumalo, but have been dying to do Broken Top and S. Sister area.

Bachelor has been getting nailed. :P

Post subject: what do you ride?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:29 pm 

If your ok getting towed 4 miles let me know. I'm always looking for others to go back there w/the sled. The snow is really deep right now so getting above 9000 in a day is a tall order. The W.Face of Broken Top could be done in a long day, let me know if your interested.