Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: furberg 173 DIY Review
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:41 am 

In RIDE mode I find the Furberg good at holding the edge on icy steeps. In TOUR mode I struggle a bit when it comes to traversing on hard/icy snow...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:02 am 

Interesting. I tend to disagree with the last two posters.
1. Riding, no problems here with the furberg on hard snow. No, it does not carve at low speeds the same way a deep sidecut board does, but it traverses on ice better than any other board, and holds on icy steeps very well.
2. In tour mode, I have no problem on icy traverses, in fact, I find it holds on touring traverses better than traditional deep sidecut boards, as one woudl expect with the longer radius sidecut.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:04 pm 

Well we agree on the ride mode :D Very happy with it. The tour mode could just be my lack of experience with a splitboard. Need to work on my skills, tighten boots more etc.. I often find it easier to just put on my mr.chomps and just go straight up :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:37 am 

powslash wrote:
The Furberg is not an all-conditions board. The performance on icy/hard snow is poor.

Bjørgvin wrote:
In RIDE mode I find the Furberg good at holding the edge on icy steeps. In TOUR mode I struggle a bit when it comes to traversing on hard/icy snow...

barrows wrote:
Interesting. I tend to disagree with the last two posters.
1. Riding, no problems here with the furberg on hard snow. No, it does not carve at low speeds the same way a deep sidecut board does, but it traverses on ice better than any other board, and holds on icy steeps very well.
2. In tour mode, I have no problem on icy traverses, in fact, I find it holds on touring traverses better than traditional deep sidecut boards, as one woudl expect with the longer radius sidecut.

so, three different point of view! :scratch:
sounds like it depends from riding style... or not?

barrows, do you mean that furberg need an aggressive and fast riding style when you say that it does not carve as a deep sidecut?
i saw that you're using Dynafit TLT5 boots... is that the reason why you don't find difficult on icy/steep traverse?
have you compared with other boards that way?

i'm still not understanding if this board is a Powder specific or a versatile freeride... :scratch:
but i really love its shape!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:49 am 

My review and comments are based on the fact that this forum is splitboard.com. And all my findings are based on riding the furberg in the backcountry.
If you are looking for a board for riding primarily on groomed runs, then you want something else-but the furberg will easily handle groomed runs on the way to something better.
The furberg performs great in all kinds of off piste snow conditions. It is not a specialized powder board. In the backcountry one generally is dealing with snow which has some penetrable depth to it: powder, windpack, breakable crusts, corn, etc. The furberg is superb in all these snow conditions.
My comments on the touring performance are in comparison to other splitboards: I do not expect any splitboard to tour as well as an 90 mm or less waisted ski. In comparison to other splitboards the furberg tours at least as well, and often better due to the straighter sidecut. I was concerned that the underfoot rocker would give less grip in the skin track, but I have not found this to be the case.
I have owned and ridden extensively the following splitboards:
Prior Backcountry 168 (camber)
Prior Spearhead 178
Venture Storm 166
furberg 173 DIY
Chimera Mace 172W custom (rocker-flat-rocker)

Sure, hardboots always help touring, but I always use hardboots, soft boots are kind of silly in the backcountry (hahaha).

Bottom line: I do not view the furberg as a specialized powder board, I feel it is very versatile for all of the snow conditions one is likely to find in the backcountry. Certainly, it rips pow, but it is especially good in variable conditions, where its forgiving nature can keep one out of trouble (breakable crusts, changing snow conditions in one run, chowder, busted up chunky shit, avy debris, etc).

If one primarily rides on ice, then maybe a different board could be better (what, I do not know), or maybe moving is a better idea. I ride ice occasionally, but I never go out planning on riding ice. I am confident if I have to navigate through an icy section (say a couloir entrance at the top, where they are sometimes icy) I can do it on the furberg.

I hope that answers your questions.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:07 pm 

I agree 100% with barrows about how this board rides. As I said, my touring experience is very limited and my skills needs some work.
If this board is not an everyday backcountry tool, then what is? I rode a 173 solid the first year they were out. That was resort powder riding. By far the best board I had ridden, but I still felt there was room for improvement. (Biggest board I have)
This year I got the 167 split. And this thing just feels so right!! Enough float in powder, and just so calm in variable conditions.
In the backcountry you dont really make a sidecut radius turn. For me its either a powder turn, or I "slarve" the board around for controlling speed in the tight spots. The Furberg does this very well!

Ps.
Sorry for this hijacking :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:33 am 

Thank you for the review!

This is what I was looking for!

Of course, I do not go to ride on ice. I was only considering borderline case, and probably I did not make myself clear. To be more clear, it’s easy to find situation of wind packed or hard packed snow(rarely also ice) or crust that don’t broke , when you are touring all the winter .sometimes I am going to take a good line but the travel to go there could be in various terrain. always looking for good snow condition, but not every day in a good day!

Now my concerns have decreased, and I am thinking more and more that this is the right board for me!

So, which size do you suggest me? I’m 188 cm(74 inch?) x 78/80 kg (176 lbs?) .

My longer board is a Prior bc 164(camber) and I have also a solid K2 turbodream 161( a bit instable at high speed but very manoeuvrable).

Furberg has a longer effective edge compared to other boards, so , do I have to choose longer or shorter size than a normal split? Not interested at the 173, but undecided between 162 and 167, ‘cause I need a versatile splitboard.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:36 pm 

Supertramp:

I'd definitely go with the 167. I think the 162 would be too short for you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:11 am 

Cadderly wrote:
Supertramp:

I'd definitely go with the 167. I think the 162 would be too short for you.

thank you Cadderly, and thank you all for the support!

i'll post my review as soon as i'll get it!

bottom line: sorry for the off topic.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:07 am 

Interesting to read through all the comments!

We are developing boards that we want to ride. We love to freeride in all types of conditions, but try to stay away from the groomers. So our goal is to make boards that are good for freeriding in all types of conditions, which we think we have succeded with. But we are working hard to constantly improve the boards.

Jamie May: The core is made of two different types of wood. One is light and quite soft and the other is harder and a bit heavier. The harder one is where the inserts are placed and along the edges. On the 11/12 boards we did not use enough of the harder wood, so a few boards snapped in front of the front binding. On the 12/13 there is more hard wood and this year we haven't had a single warranty request. But to only use hardwood in the core would increase the weight a lot without giving any advantages, except maybe for those who want to make DIY splits... :)

If you have questions about the boards, please feel free to write on our facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/furbergsnowboards

Regards
//Daniel Furberg