Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Product Review- 148 Burton Spliff/ Sparks Magneto Bindings
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:36 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
When I hit deeper pockets, the Spliff just seemed to plow into them rather than float. A friend of mine (about the same weight) on a Voile RX 166 easily out-glided me on flatter sections, and that NEVER happens (I wax regularly; he infrequently), seemingly a product of the Spliff pushing snow rather than generating float. I'm still waiting to perceive the engineering advantages the Burton marketing department claims for the board.... :(

I'll go ahead and state the obvious: The spliff is too small to be a good powder board for most people. It plows instead of floats in pow at lower angles and speeds because it has too little surface area. It's too small. Despite their obvious affinity for tiny little spliffs, Burton's marketing and engineering departments will never overcome this fact. Size matters.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:20 pm 

Taylor wrote:
I'll go ahead and state the obvious: The spliff is too small to be a good powder board for most people... Size matters.

That was my first reaction to hearing about the Spliff too: you can't fool physics. I try to keep an open mind though, and quite a few people were reporting miraculous performance traits from this board. I thought, "hey, gonna try me some o dat." Turns out the laws of physics in Kodiak appear to be a little more immutable than some other locales. :)

chrishami wrote:
I noticed you have the Pieps electronic clinometer. How do you like it?

It's a 1.5 trick pony. Yes, it will instantly and conveniently tell you the exact angle of the slope you lay your pole on. It also tells you the ambient air temp (that's only 0.5 worth of pony trick since any lame thermometer will do the same, and it is not really very useful info). The thing that keeps it from being a fabulous tool is the inability to "shoot" a sight up to a starting zone along your pole, and then read the value to gauge avy path runout danger. While it is turned on, the readout keeps updating. Then it turns itself off after ~10 seconds. If it held the reading for a bit, then you could sight along the ski pole, take a measurement, and then move the clinometer into view to see the readout. It could, say, blink the readout while it was acquiring the slope angle for the first 5 seconds of being turned on, and then hold that angle readout steady for 5 seconds until it turns back off. As it stands, someone else needs to be standing next to you to tell you what the value is. The good thing is that you will check your current slope angle many more times a day than you otherwise would. You can also hold your pole out at arm's length and lay it virtually parallel to a slope off in the distance and take a reading that way: the unit does not care which axial orientation it is in to take the slope reading. If it were REALLY smart, it would also sense the orientation of the unit when it was on it's side and flip the readout right-side-up every time like an iOS device. :) The bad news is that you will hardly ever sight up a slope to gauge your position relative to a starting zone (and you will need to ask your riding partner what it says each time).

Cool toy, but it could do more.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:06 am 

chrishami wrote:
I noticed you have the Pieps electronic clinometer. How do you like it?

I bought one as well to see if my estimations for steepness are correct, or to train my estimation skills respectively.

Of course you can measure steepness without any fancy tool as well, by just using your two poles of equal length. Still, I'll do it much more often with the Pieps 30° as it's much quicker.

--> in short: I like and use it a lot.

Apart from steepness it also displays temperature, which is a nice add-on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:39 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
That was my first reaction to hearing about the Spliff too: you can't fool physics. Turns out the laws of physics in Kodiak appear to be a little more immutable than some other locales. :)

Polar magnetism or solar flares? :doobie:

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:53 am 

More opinions please? A friend is considering buying one but is unsure about the versatility of this plank. He's lightweight, but the damn thing seems so short for deeper pow.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:10 am 

I have had a few more days on my Spliff now, and I've also switched back and forth between it and my Venture Zephyr and Never Summer SL a few times.

In my experience the Spliff absolutely does not ride like a longer board (at least nothing like my 163-164 decks). While this may seem obvious, it does stand in contrast to some claims made surrounding the Spliff. When going through variable snow conditions I find my fore-aft position to be very sensitive. For instance if you plow into a section of breakable windboard, you are suddenly up over the nose of the board instead of having a big platform out front for stability. It also wants to make tiny radius turns and feels a bit squirrelly and hooky to me. Given a 6m radius sidecut, most folks would say "duh", but I just want to state this because it again runs counter to some claims.

Spliff:

The same slope the next day on my Venture:

I'm still not sure I like this board as an all around sled. It is fantastic when hiking up brushy approaches. It is pretty nice for skinning up (though I notice its light weight and small size a lot less when I'm skinning compared to hiking). It is great in really tight quarters. If you have a park background (I don't) and just want to jib around, or you are coming off a 154-158 cm deck, then you may love this. But I just can't see going fast on this thing in variable conditions, going down steeps with consequences, and I can't imagine using it in deep pow. It is a fun board to ride given the right circumstances. I just don't know if I experience those conditions that often.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:02 pm 

I just can't fathom how people think this thing rides like a longer board. I have been switching back and forth between it and the rest of my quiver and I'm pretty shocked at how short and rubbery the Spliff is. Anyone who is upset by the two halves of their board not flexing in unison needs to stay far away from the Spliff. It has a super squishy flex pattern and I've never had a board where the center seam had the two board halves move so much relative to each other. It also does not generate as much edge pressure as I am used to, and steeps can be a careful, chattery affair. I think I'm close to calling it a day with this thing. I doubt it will be in my shop come next fall, anyway. Sometimes it's fun, but mostly it feels like a clown board.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:24 am 

Nice photos Phillip, cool to see some vistas of where you ride, thanks.

I think the spot for a 148 is perfectly shown in this well produced video from the east coast:

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=15239

pivotal pow riding through the briar patch with little risk of being submerged in 36" of low density (and a rider at 150lbs)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:23 am 

Awesome vid. Very nicely done. I can totally see how a Spliff would be great when charging through micro-gaps in the forest. I like mine best when trying to eek out a few more feet of vert when we hit the alders down low.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:42 pm 

When I first looked at this photo I thought you had a cig in your ear.

philip.ak wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:57 pm 

I just got a spliff and took it for a tour on Sat and rode it in resort yesterday. Last year I rode a nug most of the year (out of a big quiver) and this year I have fallen in love with my 152 root (flat cambered nug), so I have experience with the Burton raduction.
In response to Philip's comments, I thought I'd post my thoughts. The Spliff doesn't ride like a long board, it gives you the stability of a long board in a small body. It brings advantages over longer boards, but also disadvantages. The advantages imo are the lighter weight, manoeuvrability (amazing in tight spots or trees), and most of all, fun. The disadvantages are, not so good in open bowls, shorter nose means less response time when hitting chop or divets. Also, I agree, the halves move a lot, but that doesn't matter when you're on edge.

The first day, skinning was awesome. As mentioned before, kick turns feel like you're cheating! I am a newish splitter with only 13 days of skinning experience. I'm not very good at it, but improving each go...but on the spliff I was awesome :P
I skied when I was younger and the shorter spliff skis feel like skis, rather than the unwieldy planks of my 62 panoramic.
The ride down was good, it rides like a solid, and moreover, it rides like the nug/root.
The second day I rode it in trees and more featured terrain and it was awesome. Like the nug, it turns small terrain into bigger features. The fun factor is really high.

I think it can handle bigger terrain but obviously a stiffer longer board would be better.
I think if you look at Philip's pics, a longer board would be better for that terrain imo.
I love the board, but I am undecided as to what to do with the 62 panoramic.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:18 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
Sometimes it's fun, but mostly it feels like a clown board.

I had no intentions of posting again this season, but this quote is so full of win I couldn't resist. That was just fucking funny; like water through the nose funny. From this day forth I shall refer to all boards of this ilk as clown boards. :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:19 pm 

Snurfer wrote:
philip.ak wrote:
Sometimes it's fun, but mostly it feels like a clown board.

I had no intentions of posting again this season, but this quote is so full of win I couldn't resist. That was just fucking funny; like water through the nose funny. From this day forth I shall refer to all boards of this ilk as clown boards. :D

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next