Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Product Review- 148 Burton Spliff/ Sparks Magneto Bindings
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:10 am 

@ Mr. Green- I had no problems lowering the heel lifters with my pole basket. You drop the high lift first. If you want the lower lift you put both down then lift the taller one back up. No Issues at all and Im not great at getting my lifters with a pole.

Nug Reduction- Dave Downy came up with it. He took a good look at His board and others, watched them ride and figured out what part of the board is not used then eliminated it.

I just finished a weekend up at June Mountain. Knee-thigh deep powder , a bit heavy but fun. No problems whatsoever. I also think its strongest point is when you are trying to get to the bottom and find yourself in thick but rideable trees. You can turn on a dime, even when you only have a split second to react.

Im sold on this thing :bananas:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:20 pm 

Good shit, thanks! Sick setup for sure, would love to test it out!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:12 pm 

With all the boards Chris has and can choose to ride I notice His most recent pics He is using the Spliff

http://www.snowboardermag.com/2012-buye ... snowboard/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:50 pm 

TEX wrote:
@ Mr. Green- I had no problems lowering the heel lifters with my pole basket. You drop the high lift first. If you want the lower lift you put both down then lift the taller one back up. No Issues at all and Im not great at getting my lifters with a pole.

Nug Reduction- Dave Downy came up with it. He took a good look at His board and others, watched them ride and figured out what part of the board is not used then eliminated it.

I just finished a weekend up at June Mountain. Knee-thigh deep powder , a bit heavy but fun. No problems whatsoever. I also think its strongest point is when you are trying to get to the bottom and find yourself in thick but rideable trees. You can turn on a dime, even when you only have a split second to react.

Im sold on this thing :bananas:

Pictures? Can't wait. Saturday was the best day of my season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:29 pm 

Just got done with a big tour through untracked terrain in 22" of fresh and it was good..(but a-lot of fucking work). I'm 195, size 12 feet and i just don't believe that i would float in ski-mode on anything less 168 cm, 27 waist. I ride a Rossi Experience with rocker/camber. I'd rather go bigger.. These look like good resort boards or spring play boards. Maybe i'm wrong i'd love to demo Arbor thru Venture and find my perfect sleigh.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:39 am 

Quote:
I'm 195, size 12 feet and i just don't believe that i would float in ski-mode on anything less 168 cm, 27 waist. I ride a Rossi Experience with rocker/camber. I'd rather go bigger.. These look like good resort boards or spring play boards. Maybe i'm wrong i'd love to demo Arbor thru Venture and find my perfect sleigh

I just finished a weekend of touring in 2-3 feet of fresh snow with no issues. I cant say about size 12 boots, but size 11 are no problem

I dont ride resorts, do jumps and Im not a park rat. Im an old man. And spring here means uber steep long lines with narrow rock chutes and colouirs.

THIS IS NOT FOR MEADOW SKIPPING

I had the same doubts, then I rode one.

It does take an open mind, but like I said....its just like surfboards. When the first short board came out in 1969 it was "No way that will work"

Ever go down to the beach these days?

This is just someone thinking outside the box. and it works

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:49 pm 

I rode a Spliff today for the first time. 4-6" of substantial coastal 'pow' over a firm wind/rain crust. We went out and toured for about 3 hours, doing laps and generally cruising around.

The Spliff tours fine. I used my wife's BD Ascension skins from her old board and they fit pretty well. I do not expect much traction from areas far from my center of weight, so being on a short board was not an issue. Despite being said to have "S-Rocker", the Spliff is really a full camber board - or close to it. I have looked at my neighbor's Freebird, and that indeed has a dramatic positive rise starting at the front binding with camber from there to the tail. The Spliff has a 'wide stance' (not in the Larry Craig sense) for its length, but the nose rises well forward of the front binding, much like how the tail rises behind the rear binding. I also noticed the Spliff has a shorter running length than my wife's Anti Social 150. The Anti Social has less of a tail and so a longer contact length. It seems crazy to be on a smaller board in almost every specifiation compared to my wife who is 5" shorter and 60 pounds lighter than me.

I expected such a tiny board with such a tight radius sidecut to be a bit squirrelly, and I did indeed find it to ride with some catchiness to the tail and very (!) responsive to changes of direction. Maybe a little too responsive for open alpine riding. After one run of relatively low-angle terrain, as we got a feel for the snowpack, I got more accustomed to the quick handling. The Spliff does not seem like a big-line, big-mountain charger to me so far. I will continue to develop my impressions of the board this spring, but the difference in handling to my other boards (wide models of a 163 Solution, a 163 NS SL, and a Zephyr 164/260) is pretty dramatic. All those boards seem far more stable and less slot-car-on-a-curvy-track to me. I danced down through the alders and salmonberries during our run back to the road and liked the fast handling of the Spliff in tight quarters, but up in open bowls it caught me off guard a few times when I threw my self into turns only to find the Spliff had a very different idea of how sharp of a turn we were going to make. In fact, the very first turn I ever made on this board had me sailing horizontally to the slope:

After a few runs I got a feel for the thing. It's a fun little board, but so far it really does feel like a little board.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:18 am 

Cool to get some other feedback on this board. Some comments:

- It is S-rocker... which is basically just an early-rise tip and full camber everywhere else. I noticed that too, it really is FULL camber everywhere else. Especially compared to the Jones Solution, which is supposed to be camber between the feet, but on mine is just barely cambered.

- I'm still surprised at the stability of the Spliff at speed. It will probably never be exactly the same as a board 15 cm longer, but honestly to me it's *almost* as stable as my Burton S162 and Jones Solution 164 boards. What I do find is that there is a bit less margin of error. If you lean too far back, there is only so much tail before you wash out, as compared to a board with several cm more tail. Are the boards you're comparing to wide boards? My other boards are similar width to the Spliff.

- To me it doesn't feel like a little board... and perhaps more to the point, it doesn't feel anything like any other board in that size range. If I got on any other typical 148 I would last about 2 turns before tossing it. I really thought I was going to feel the same way about the Spliff, but I don't. It may not be designed as a big-line, big-mountain charger, but to me it feels like it is *capable* of those lines... and a lot more vs. purpose big mountain guns. I'll take that.

Anyway, I plan on pushing its limits this spring on the eastside steeps. We'll see how it fares. One thing I'm really looking forward to is that maneuverability in steep/tight chute entrances.

Nice pics BTW. What did you use to mount the GoPro to the end of the BD pole?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:43 am 

Quote:
Anyway, I plan on pushing its limits this spring on the eastside steeps. We'll see how it fares. One thing I'm really looking forward to is that maneuverability in steep/tight chute entrances.

Good thing you bought two Jim. Your base is going to take a few hits and there will be some dryhiking involved of course.

I felt more at home on this board than anything I have owned. I havent charge a giant peak or big line on it yet , but so far it feels more like my surfboard and wakeboard than any snowboard I have ridden. You did do justice when you described it as "slot car " feel.
very responsive Like Jim said Im hoping it really shines in the steep and narrow. Thats if the owners nads hold up and he doesnt turn tail

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:31 am 

I can only compare to my current boards (yes, all wide models), and I have basically not stood on a deck that was shorter than 160 in my life. The Spliff feels shorter, but I could not say what length it rides like, just that it rides shorter than my current decks. Not a bad thing, just different. This is also a first impression based on an afternoon in the backcountry. I try not to draw strong conclusions on new toys until I have many days on them.

I think I want to put K-clips on this board. It has such a soft flex that its a little rubbery and looking at my tracks I can see the center seam. There is also a bit more of a gap between the Chinese hooks and the tip/tail clips than on my other boards. Sort of an aesthetic thing. I am surprised they put the Chinese hooks so close to the binding holes. The outermost binding mounting positions are essentially unavailable because the hooks prevent you from sliding the binding onto the pucks. This is true with my wife's Anti Social too. It seems to be a Burton thing.

I'll take it out again today. It's always fun trying new stuff... :D

PS - it is a gopro on my pole.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:23 am 

philip.ak wrote:
I can only compare to my current boards (yes, all wide models)

One thing that would be interesting is if you ever happened to get a chance to compare a non-wide version of any of the boards you already own, in the same length you have. I bet that at least some of the difference you're feeling is the width. I know that when I tried a wide board of the same one I was normally riding (in about the same length), I hated it, because it was so much slower edge to edge.

philip.ak wrote:
I am surprised they put the Chinese hooks so close to the binding holes. The outermost binding mounting positions are essentially unavailable because the hooks prevent you from sliding the binding onto the pucks. This is true with my wife's Anti Social too. It seems to be a Burton thing.

Yeah, Burton has always been that way. I don't know why. On all my previous Burtons, I actually remounted the split hooks a couple inches closer to the tip/tail. This actually stiffens it up some, and also helped with the age-old problem of the tip clips coming undone while riding. I used to also move the tip/tail clips down a bit from the tip/tail, but that was because of the old rounded tips Burton had on their older models - there wasn't enough support behind the clip, so just the natural flexing of the board halves at the tip/tail would cause the clip to come undone. I haven't had that issue on the Spliff yet, though I have heard others have.

But about the split hooks in the Spliff case, I don't know that moving them out will actually make much difference in this case, since the tip/tail are already really short. Might be an interesting experiment. Also have to be careful to place them somewhere where there's not much curve in the board, otherwise you can't turn them (this is already a problem for me with one set of hooks). I think K-clips are a good call.

Quote:
PS - it is a gopro on my pole.

Yeah I know :)... I was wondering specifically what you used to mount it? I'd rather use the BD pole I already have on my pack than a specific GoPro pole.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:18 am 

You may be onto something with the width observation. The only 'regular' width boards I have ridden lately have been Voile Mojos. I had a 161 for a season and it felt too small to me. Now I ride boards of similar length but they don't seem so tiny. I don't mind the side-to-side edge change distance, and I seem to like the stability of a wide platform.

Sorry for the threadjack, but here is my GoPro mount. I got it off amazon.com a while back. It is a quick clamp that I mounted a GoPro 1/4 x 20 tripod adapter to via a 1/4 bolt stub (all-thread along its length). The clamp is metal and bit heavy, but that helps stabilize shots, I rationalize. I put it on my shoulder strap in a small camera bag that I cut a slot in the flap of so that the mount could stick out the top. It's fast and easy to pull out and stow. The quick clamp mounts above the powder basket on a short piece of radiator hose and some black tape I use to increase the pole diameter.

Back on topic...

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:36 pm 

I have to say that today only reinforced my impression of a small and sporty riding deck. I'm looking forward to pushing around some spring corn on this thing.

Today's laps with my wife:

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next