Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Furberg Snowboards
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:08 am 

LPowhuntr wrote:
I read through this entire thread and I gotta say Furberg are sounding amazing i have a sizing question im still not sure if im going to go with a solid or split, most likely a split but im wondering if the 162 is a good choice im 165lbs 5'6". I want to be able to use this board for all bc conditions including big mountain steeps, not only pow, im leaning towards Furberg because of their stability at high speed and float. Also how do these boards handle jumps and cliff drop offs?

Also hitting some long fast lines on steeps? Stable right?

Take a look at furbergsnowboards.com, there are some videos there which might help answer your questions. As for jumps, a rocker tail board will never have the same pop off of lips as a camber board, the furberg lands jumps very, very well, as it is very stable and the forgiving nose and tail are so catch free that landings are generally easy. The boards are superb for steeps: David Capozzi is riding full on extreme first descents (stuff which would make me crap my pants) in Chamonix on one. As for sizing, the 162 would probably be a good all conditions board for you, with the 167 being a good choice specifically for the deepest pow days. Again, see furbergsnowboards.com to check the recommended weight ranges. The furbergs ride slightly short in comparison to traditional boards, that is the 173 (for me) is more manuverable than I would expect a board of that size to be.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:48 pm 

Yeah I saw it on the site just wanted some feedback from some people really appreciate the info. I hear the boards move very well for their size I just don't wanna go too big and then lack maneuverability and playfulness. Might go with 162 worst case in the deep stuff ill shift the weight back a lil.
Thanx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:55 pm 

LPowhuntr wrote:
Yeah I saw it on the site just wanted some feedback from some people really appreciate the info. I hear the boards move very well for their size I just don't wanna go too big and then lack maneuverability and playfulness. Might go with 162 worst case in the deep stuff ill shift the weight back a lil.
Thanx

Yeah, do what you need to with the stance, but I would suggest not moving too far back, even for pow. The furberg is designed to plane, with the entire board near the surface, and actually rides best in powder this way, rather than plowing with a tail down attitude.
Do not worry about "playfullness", any furberg is going to be more playful than traditional boards, as the tip and tail are super forgiving and loose, and the entire board is super easy to slide around, pivot, and smear.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:08 pm 

barrows wrote:
Yeah, do what you need to with the stance, but I would suggest not moving too far back, even for pow. The furberg is designed to plane, with the entire board near the surface, and actually rides best in powder this way

Is that why people are suggesting upping the size from the usual reg pow board lenght you ride I normally ride 159 in pow so upping it by 8cm seems like a stretch but then again it's a board I plan on using for bc so conditions vary, I don't want to go too short and lose float but then not go too big and feel like its too big for conditions. I spoke to Tommy at Furberg he recommended the 162 said that's what he rides usually and in deep stuff takes out the 167 but less and less it seems so conditions are most likely the factor. As for stability between the two I should be fine either way on steeps and high speed right?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:15 pm 

Well, it is up to you. My recommendation stands for your size: 162 for an all-around backcountry board, or 167 as a primarily super deep pow board.

that said, certainly the 167 will have more stability, as it is longer, and stiffer, the question you have to ask yourself is whether the 162 will have enough stability for what you want it to do. I would suspect taking Tommy's advice would be a good bet as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:49 pm 

I would NOT worry about it 'lacking maneuverability', my wife, who rides a 158 jumped on my 173, and rode it just fine, she couldn't believe how easy it turned. She actually said it turned just as easily as her board. The full rocker allows the tips to slide around so easily. Her only complaint was the weight when she was on the lift. you won't have a problem maneuvering it, no matter what size you get, i promise.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:45 pm 

barrows wrote:
the question you have to ask yourself is whether the 162 will have enough stability for what you want it to do.

That's the million dollar question well about 700$ question because if I go with the 162 and find out that its not what expected sability wise then I'm SOL. Then again if I go too big ill be thinking man this board rocks in super deep still but on reg days ill be wanting to downsize.

I will be going with a split for sure I think I will just try my luck with the 162, taking what you and Tommy said.

Thanx for the info

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:22 am 

Any word yet on the '13-'14 boards?

Only thing available on the website is the 67 solid, which I want, but I'm after a 67 split first though.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:49 pm 

chrishami wrote:
Any word yet on the '13-'14 boards?

Only thing available on the website is the 67 solid, which I want, but I'm after a 67 split first though.

Never mind, furberg just posted on FB that they now have 167 and 173 splits in stock.

:thumpsup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:58 pm 

OK time has come to purchase and still after all this time I'm questioning it between the 162 and 167 solid. I'm going to be riding a 162 Prior AMF Split this season so the Furberg will be for big mountain deep pow shredding, Heli trip too possibly. I'm was really considering the 162 for a long time but considering I have a split in that size I will be keeping the Furberg for big mountain high speed hauling made me question my decision. Is there any disadvantage to upping it to 167? My info as mentioned a while back 5'6" 165lb without gear. Depending how this season goes with the Furberg board I might pick up the spilt version for next season.

Any input that can help my indecisive a** would be greatly appreciated

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:57 pm 

LPowhuntr wrote:
OK time has come to purchase and still after all this time I'm questioning it between the 162 and 167 solid. I'm going to be riding a 162 Prior AMF Split this season so the Furberg will be for big mountain deep pow shredding, Heli trip too possibly. I'm was really considering the 162 for a long time but considering I have a split in that size I will be keeping the Furberg for big mountain high speed hauling made me question my decision. Is there any disadvantage to upping it to 167? My info as mentioned a while back 5'6" 165lb without gear. Depending how this season goes with the Furberg board I might pick up the spilt version for next season.

Any input that can help my indecisive a** would be greatly appreciated

I'm 5'11" 175 lbs and I love the 167. I've ridden lots of semi-tight trees on it with no issues maneuvering. For reference: my other solid is a Jones 160 mountain twin and my split is a 168 Venture Zephyr.
Was planning to pick up a 67 furberg split this season but just got furloughed instead.
Get the 167, you won't regret it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:05 pm 

Appreciate the info,, my solids go from 151 park, 156 allmtn to 159-162 backcountry including the 162 split. That 167 seems huge but I want a freeride beast for the big stuff so it's sounding like 167 will have way more advantages then anything else.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:22 pm 

I never demoed the 162 but I did ride the 173 which was a bit too much for me. Went back to the 67 and loved it so much I never felt the urge to try the shorter board. Ended up buying the 67 solid. Still wanting a split though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next