Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Split Newbie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:19 am 

Hello everyone! I am new to splitboarding and really want to buy one, but I am having a hard time deciding what to buy. I have been snowboarding since about 1986. I live in Colorado and really want to ditch the resorts and spend time touring and earning my turns so to speak. I am in the market now and it is approaching the end of the season.

Should I wait till next season?

I dig the Jones boards, but what would you all recommend?

Thanks,

Sam-T

Post subject: Re: Split Newbie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:28 am 

Welcome ST! If you have some cheese now, I would take advantage of th end of season sales you should see in the next few months. If you know what you want/need you can scour the Internet and of course shop through the affiliates here. I'd also check the swap forum...this site is a huge asset in regards to gear selection.

If money is no issue you can wait until next season to buy the latest and greatest.

You've got all summer to build a DIY if you're interested in going that route. Enjoy! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:36 am 

Thanks, I like the end of the season deals! So, I am looking to take advantage of that. I was looking at the Burton Freebird Split. Anyone have any thought on this board? I would love to set one up soon and get some time in the bc, I have all the avi stuff... so just need a set up.

I have searched the site about the freeride and it generally gets good reviews.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:40 am 

Welcome Samtots!

I feel like there should be a sticky for this. If you do some searching on the "Splitboard"'s thread of this forum, you can get a good idea of peoples thoughts. Its a highly debatable topic based on where you live, riding style, etc.

In the most common generalization I can think of, size up a few cm on your all mountain board, as you will be around 20lbs heavier, and keep board design with what you are comfortable on. Take a look at some of the companies not as well known, such as Venture or Chimera, they are a very quality splitboard and build more then some of the big companies out there.

The most important thing I think is to get splitboard specific bindings. That is more important than what board you choose. Your options are Spark, Karakorum, Voile and Ranger currently. Seems Spark and Karakorum are more popular options. See the "Bindings" thread of this forum.

If it gives you a better idea, I ride a 159 Raptor on resort with Mission bindings, and a Venture Zephyr 159 with Spark Blazes in the backcountry, and I think I have the best quiver on this thread :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:41 am 

samtots wrote:
Thanks, I like the end of the season deals! So, I am looking to take advantage of that. I was looking at the Burton Freebird Split. Anyone have any thought on this board? I would love to set one up soon and get some time in the bc, I have all the avi stuff... so just need a set up.

I have searched the site about the freeride and it generally gets good reviews.

I was just out on Sunday with a friend who has that board, and he likes it a lot. Seems be good for all around cruising and powder.

Attending splitfests is a good way to meet other splitters and very often you'll be able to demo a few different boards. :twocents:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:52 am 

I did some searching around the forum but there was just soooo much info... I have been reading some stuff and agree that a split specific binding sounds like the way to go.

I like smaller brands! I will check them out. I have been doing some touring on skis and although I like it... I am much more a board person - skating, surfing, etc... how do you all compare with your ski touring friends? Does it mix well?

Thanks,

Sam!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:55 am 

Very bad, see this facebook group. We generally hate eachother and like to get into fights. :duel:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Splitboarding-is-NOT-the-Answer/446838962063314?fref=ts

In all seriousness, its fine. I generally tour with splitboarders the most, but its all just sliding down snow to me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:19 am 

If your from Colorado; Buy Colorado! A.B.C. baby... :thumpsup:

Venture
Unity
Never Summer
Donek
Winterstick
OZ (new guy on the block)

Also don't forget Triad Bindings!!! (props for rughty)

You can sometimes demo splitboards, but if your not already a splitter it may just confuse things. I built my own DIY to get started splitting and it was fun and much cheaper. We also have some good people in CO that can split your board for a good price.

Either way, get your Avy gear, your split gear, a partner, and get after it!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:48 am 

Jefe009 wrote:
Attending splitfests is a good way to meet other splitters and very often you'll be able to demo a few different boards. :twocents:

+1
I attended a splitfest last year, never having toured at all... met some great people and got to demo the gear. I was able to confirm what I had already suspected: splitboarding is the answer, at least for me.

Since you're in CO, you should try to get over to the Silverton Splitfest next month if you can, registration closes pretty soon:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14253

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:59 am 

chrishami wrote:
Since you're in CO, you should try to get over to the Silverton Splitfest next month if you can, registration closes pretty soon:
Thanks Chris, I'm the organizer, and I know we have a few people new to splitboarding coming as well. To touch on Chris's point, registration for lodging closes on Friday, and general admission closes April 1st, although it is filling up (almost 40 people with a cap at 50) and I encourage you to get in as soon as possible. We have a lot of fun and a lot of people's brains to pick.

We will have demos from the small companies too, Venture, Chimera, and OZ Snowboards. 2 Colorado companies and an SLC company.

More info here as well: http://www.facebook.com/SilvertonSplitfest

And you can email at SilvertonSplitfest@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:07 am 

samtots wrote:
I am much more a board person - skating, surfing, etc... how do you all compare with your ski touring friends? Does it mix well?

One of my regular touring partners has the soul of a splitter, but he skis.

Sure it mixes well. I think the main thing to be concerned with is not how your partners get down, but that they are well versed in avy safety and are comfortable and capable in the backcountry.

My opinion is, bc travelers really prove themselves not through enjoying themselves when everything goes right, but overcoming the challenges when things go wrong. Cuz trust me, they will. :banghead:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:08 pm 

check craigslist too,i just found a full package for $500....stoked! ppl are selling off their shit thinking of summer sports...

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:26 pm 

Some good advice here. I like my freebird. I tour with skiers and boarders. The most important thing for touring partners is their attitude towards risk, we need to have trust in the folks we ride with. Mountain craft and avy knowledge take time to learn, so be curious and pay attention to your surroundings.