Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: UTAH 2012-13 Conditions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:59 am 

Logan, comparing the amount of snow we have on the ground now to when I was up there last year, I would guess the bigger lines are marginally filled in, but rideable. The lower angle terrain should be plenty covered. I was up on the S Summit of Lone a few weeks ago, and while there were plenty of big boulders still sticking out of the snow in Upper Bells, the coverage is fine. I'm sure the traverse-exit out of the NE Couloir is plenty rocky.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:52 am 

mej wrote:
Logan, comparing the amount of snow we have on the ground now to when I was up there last year, I would guess the bigger lines are marginally filled in, but rideable. The lower angle terrain should be plenty covered. I was up on the S Summit of Lone a few weeks ago, and while there were plenty of big boulders still sticking out of the snow in Upper Bells, the coverage is fine. I'm sure the traverse-exit out of the NE Couloir is plenty rocky.

Thanks for the beta! Was exactly what I was looking for.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:38 pm 

Dave you could publish a book of nothing but your beautiful one tracks this year. Love that little exit chute way to rip it. And mej that is such a creative line, I can only imagine what the ridge walk is like, gnarly as ........I imagine.

Snowvols, here's a pick of upper bells lookers left, N and S Thunder. I hiked up there one year much fatter snowpack than now and hit S Thunder. I should have tagged them both cause I was feeling good. Great tour, the views are unreal. Lookers left is more of a slab rock compared to the boulder field below the summit of Lone. Take care.

Edit to add I was going to mention the super tour is a nice option as well to get up in that zone. I don't know that White Pine to upper Bells is much more. The view from my house stares at Upper Thunder Bowl as well, looks like coverage is decent.
Here's a pic of the Backside S Facing of the Pheif over to Chipmans from a couple weeks back.
Take care

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:21 pm 

Thanks Utah! We gotta get out sometime before the season is over.

Had to run this morning as I am getting ready for my Ironman. Finished at 10:30 decided I would go for a quick tour. Went up God's Lawnmower and broke trail the entire way. Snow was super good up high and really manky from the rain down low.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:13 pm 

It was pretty foggy most of the day today so we did some snow assessments, set a booter and had some early lunch while hoping visibility would improve.

The sun did grace us with its presence for about 30 seconds.

Then promptly disappeared. By the way, watching tele friends face plant is loads of fun.

Clouds finally lifted just in time to hit the chute.

Pano shot
I've really gotta start bringing a real camera out with me. Anyway, the only instability I found was the 5" of new snow failed on a CT, 2 taps / Q1. I couldn't get anything to propagate on the ECT. Great snow today. A little dense but I'll take it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:18 pm 

Finally knocked a major offender off my most wanted list today. Started out at White Pine, and followed the main Pfeiff approach until just after you crest the ridge in Red Pine and can see into Dry Creek. In board mode, we then did a forever-long calf-burning traverse to under Chipman Peak. Booted up to Chipman, then skied the southeast face. What a line! Steep off the top, especially with the variable wind-blown snow up there. Then we climbed back up to the Pfeiff shoulder and rode Maybird all the way to the road. For anyone getting out tomorrow, anything above 10k is somewhere between wind-affected and wind-jacked. NE facing seemed the worst. South facing all got wet, with good pseudocorn in the 8k-9500 range. Above 9500 the new snow covered the corn/ice. The Maybird Gully was terrific. Good shallow pow down to ~7500, after which the gully had old, soft, rollers in it and the snow was stiff or icy. Isothermal mush climbing up to the highway. Overall stability was good, although the steep south facing probably started moving later this afternoon. No issues with wind slabs. The deepest fresh wind deposition I observed was maybe 6 inches deep and soft.

I also don't know if I've had a bluer bluebird day yet this season. Great views!

Southeast Face of Chipman:

The way back up, Pfeiff in the upper left:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:05 pm 

Daylight savings time came just in time as I returned to work this week from my 4 month vacation/layoff. I did a dusk patrol in the west facing microwave area by alta to take adavantage of the remaining sun. The snow was pretty close to being full blown corn snow but not quite there yet. I wasnt expecting much but it was honestly some of the funnest snow Ive ridden in a while. On my 2nd lap clouds rolled in and the snow set up a bit but still fun. Forgot my camera so no pics which is a bummer since there was some great light. Even the coyote came by to check things out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:46 am 

Trying to get rid of some stuff. Anyone want a big photo? No glass in the frame. 24x36, print and frame are low quality so instead of $400 I'm selling it for $30 OBO.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:58 pm 

what the hell does this have to do with the Wasatch conditions, beat it kook!....kidding, nice photo :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:33 am 

Winter is back. Just hit LCC mid elevation before work. It's light and fluffy. I could only feel the crust underneath when I carved hard. It's going to be a good weekend. Enjoy it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:56 pm 

also got up to Whitpine this afternoon...started out with heavy snow falling and bad visibility.

At the top the clouds broke and the sun came out...good timing

Snow conditions are much improved

Got a couple small slabs to break off at the corners of kickturns on the skintrack, other than that no instabilities

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:46 pm 

WTF mar123! I dont believe that those pics are from today. JK. I could see shit today. Winter is definately back. I went on after work tours the last two nights. Skinned up flagstaff both days. Yesterdays snow was the best Ive ridden in I dont know how long. I wore my sunglasses on the way down and had a severe brain freeze when I was down due to the amount of face shots. Today was great as well, altough a bit heavier snow. Just wish I could see where I was going. I also noticed cracking on the way up as well as poor bonding to the wet stuff underneath. But it all stayed in place on the way down. Only felt the crust on a couple turns. Rode S/SE aspects

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:27 pm 

^^ I know, usually its bluebird when starting and then gets socked in at the top...

mej has been teaching us how to read the weather models so I planned my tour accordingly to the half hour window of forecasted bluebird :lol:

on the way up, stormy and cloudy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next