Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Product Review- 148 Burton Spliff/ Sparks Magneto Bindings
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:43 pm 

I had the pleasure of Demoing the 148 Burton Spliff with The Not yet Released Sparks Magneto Bindings at The Donner Splitparty.
I cant say enough positive things about both the board and the Biniding. Outstanding performance with featherweight equipment.
The board seems way too short for someone my size ( 6 foot 180lbs size 11 shoe) but underfoot it rode like a dream . plenty of float in powder, held its edge in mank and winddbuff and turns on a dime. No hesitation, rock solid turns.
The skin up is a bit easier because the short length makes kick turns a breeze and a ligther board means you keep more energy for the ride down.
I have to admit i was very skeptical when I first saw this board. JimW has riden one the last two times I have toured with Him so I knew the board could be ridden in deep powder and in the steeps.
It did not disappoint . I liked it so much I bought one on Tuesday after riding one sunday. I think this new "nug" technology is the next big thing in snowboarding and splitboarding.

Magneto Bindings

Smooth, light, efficient......like gliding on a cloud. Thatss the way I would describe skinning with the new Spark Magneto Bindings. My transitions were shortened by the "pinless" system which I found a breeze to operate. The front closure was smooth aaand solid and I felt no slop in skin or ride mode
Although I treied these bindings in Icy conditions the Binding slid right onto the pucks and slid off with no problems.
Again, I was so excited about these bindings that the dya I got home and emailed Will @ Spark R and D to find out when I could buy a set. Guess I gotta wait till september till I can get my own set :cry:
Oh well, they are worth the wait.

Post subject: Re: Product Review- 148 Burton Spliff/ Sparks Magneto Bindings
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:31 am 

Very nice. Thanks for that.

How was it exactly that your size 11 feet fit on there? What is your stance (width and angle)?

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:40 pm 

I think I mentioned this in my other posts talking about the Spliff, but I've got size 11 boots and so far things are fine with the Spliff. It's actually a pretty wide board, and because of the deep Non-Barrows-Approved (tm) :) sidecut, things are actually pretty wide at the binding mount points. I can take a look later but IIRC the width was about the same at the feet as on my Jones Solution 164. The nose is actually wider than the Jones at the widest point.

The conditions we were in last weekend weren't ones where a little bit of toe/heel drag is the end of the world, so it will be interesting to see how it does in steep chutes w/hard conditions. Somehow I always manage to end up in that situation so I'm sure I'll find out soon... :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:48 pm 

BTW, if you're thinking about a Spliff, check out this link.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:05 pm 

How about breaking trail in deep unconsolidated snow? Color me skeptical for non mellow terrain. That said I wouldn't turn down a free demo. Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:09 pm 

HikeforTurns wrote:
How about breaking trail in deep unconsolidated snow? Color me skeptical for non mellow terrain.

So far it's been fine for me in all terrain, including non-mellow. Though I haven't done a lot of trail-breaking (my strategy is to go so slow that my partners get annoyed and move up front to break trail :)). But stepping off the trail and trying it out a couple times in deep snow, it seemed surprisingly fine. It's not that stiff of a board, but the individual skis don't flex as much as you might expect when skinning just because they're shorter (less of a lever). And they RULE for kick-turns!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:26 pm 

jimw wrote:
HikeforTurns wrote:
How about breaking trail in deep unconsolidated snow? Color me skeptical for non mellow terrain.

So far it's been fine for me in all terrain, including non-mellow. Though I haven't done a lot of trail-breaking (my strategy is to go so slow that my partners get annoyed and move up front to break trail :)). But stepping off the trail and trying it out a couple times in deep snow, it seemed surprisingly fine. It's not that stiff of a board, but the individual skis don't flex as much as you might expect when skinning just because they're shorter (less of a lever). And they RULE for kick-turns!!

Hey! That's what I do! :lol:

As a guy who followed Jimw and Tex around for a couple days, on a board that was 13cm longer, I can attest that it did fine in steep skinning, sidehilling and the kick turning made me jealous.

As Jim said, the conditions were pretty forgiving snow wise, so it wasn't like we were sidehilling bullet proof or anything, but it seemed like skinning it was very effective. I bought one btw. Didn't even ride it first. Just watched Tex and JimW skin, ride and rave about it, and was sold.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:16 pm 

would have been cool to see the weight of that set up, sub 150 board and skins with magnetos has to be pretty light,

do you skin with forward lean on the highbacks? I run my blaze's at 0 (-5 deg) on the climb and 3 on the way down. makes taking longer strides more comfortable.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:49 am 

I didnt have any skinning Issues and felt better with this board than my Jones. I do love the short length for kick turns as Jim mentioned . I was using G3 skins for the first time also. I wouldnt build a wall aginst this new technology, its real no matter what terrain you are in.
Just like 1968 when the shortboard blew out longboards in surfing the mind must open to new designs and Ideas
My stance is + 12 in front -3 in back. I didnt have any toe drag issues but as JimW said I didnt ride any hardpack. It was sometimes crusty and at no point did I feel like the board wanted to auger into the snow like most boards in these conditions.
Im also riding new boots this season. K2 UFO's. Very light also.
This whole set up......148 spliff, magneto bindings ,G3 skins and K2 boots feels as light as my 2003 resort board and bindings. Lighttest set up I have felt in a splitboard

I suggest you try one if you get a chance. I also woulod be willing to bet in 2 years at least half of us are on shorter boards due to this "Nug Reduction" technology. Not saying you will be riding a Burton but this is as big as a rockered board IMO. And its been what 2-3 season sense rockered splits came out. Are you riding a rockered board ??

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:59 am 

This is exciting. What exactly is in the nugg tech to make a small board ride so well?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:42 am 

I took one run with JimWs Spliff that day Tex rode his and I was pretty amazed as well at how similar it felt to my 162 Burton S Split. There was literally zero difference in feel. Just don't look down ;)

But what amazed me more was the weight of the whole package. Just the day before I lifted a Splitski of Jim Zellers Jones Ultracraft with Karakorams (I believe standard though, not SL's) and he also had special skins with a big strip of fabric in the middle. Definitely the lightest I ever felt.
The Spliff with Magnetos felt similar, also superlight!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:28 pm 

Question for all who have any insight... My friend is 5 foot 4 inches, weighs 145 pounds and wears a size 8 thirty two tm two boot. He is interested in the spliff 148 because that is a size that he likes to ride at resorts. I am wondering if this board will be hard for him to handle as it supposedly rides like a 158/160 and is wider than most 148 boards. The largest solid board that he rides is a 152 lib tech TRS and I cant see him riding anything bigger than that our our terrain. He sent an email to Burton to see if the board would be a good fit for him and they said that it would be great. We both still have concerns. What does everyone think? Will this board ride too big for him?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:59 pm 

TEX - how was flipping the heel lifters on the Magnetos? I had a look at them the other day at the Prior factory and couldn't understand how I would flick them with a pole. Stoked about the review, many thanks!