Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The "Pinch and Roll" Speeds Transition Times :)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:37 am 

I forgot my cheat sheets at home yesterday and did the pinch and roll technique while yo-yoing about 5 laps. I started rolling up from the tail so that when I unrolled I could hook the tip on the ski and they pretty much unrolled themselves. Slick. Also, when I rip my skins off the board I am holding the tail anyway, so it is the natural end to start rolling from. All in all it is a worthy technique to try.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:39 am 

I've used this before on shorter laps. Pretty handy time saver.

A buddy saw what I was doing, tried himself then gave me hard time for ruining his skins when he left them rolled over night. More than a few orange hairs on the glue when he got them out the next morning. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:35 pm 

I'm liking the roll method and working through the learning curve. You're more likely to get snow on the glue because you're working a whole skin instead of one third at a time. Late season I might not roll because we skin through mud, pollen, pine needles etc.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:28 pm 

[quote="ImTired"]Pinch and roll is the name of the technique my buddy uses to scratch his balls.[/quote

yes sir thats the whole point... a little play on words. who doesnt like the pinch n roll :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:29 pm 

KGN wrote:
Not sure if it matters for the life span of your skins or not, but I use those Volie cheat sheets mesh things when I go out to the backcountry, and when I store them overnight or whatever. Makes it pretty easy. I think if you even just used a thin strip of the cheat sheet mesh stuff, it would make it alot easier to pull apart. KInd of annoying to bring more stuff into the BC, but it really takes zero space.

have you battled playing with cheat sheets when your on a summit prepping for a drop in high winds....once you do you wont bring your cheat sheets:) the pinch and roll is quick and and takes away calling your buddy over to help you pull em apart:)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:54 pm 

Has anyone used this in the PNW or SUPER warm days touring? Mainly I ask because different regions have different skin issues, at least that is what I have noticed in the past haha

My old skins are haggard and beaten, but I never have glue problems except when it is super cold (which for us up here is anything under 25 deg. My new skins are the Voile tractors and the glue is soooo much stickier than my old 3 season used CSD's. I'd like to give it a try but all the people so far in this thread are from UT or CO and your snow is soo much colder and dryer than ours. If my glue touches my mohair, it def rips a good amount of fir off with it haha!

Always looking for more efficient transitions, so I may just give it a shot! Most of the time we are touring in 28-34* temps with super heavy wet snow :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:29 pm 

I ride from Baker to Hood. No problems with hairs on the glue after rolling between laps. I'm using G3 alpinists.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:58 pm 

I have glue on my hairs. Works for really awesome friction. Helps build up my quads as I drag my shit. Any suggestions on how to remove tacky from the hairs? Voile skins.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:19 am 

Another pinch and roller signing in here.

We struggle to stay below freezing alot of the time here in Australia so I thought I better chime in for those worried about the warm weather pinch and roll. Just don't leave them rolled for too long.

Been doing it for a few years now on some of the older purple Voile Tractors and never had problems, even after a good re glue.

I'd say it's a better time saver than the Tesla sytem if i'd ever used the Tesla sytem, i'll let you know.

To un roll it does anyone do it like they're cracking a whip? So quick but works better on warmer days.

That move also needs a catchy name, something to do with S & M and bondage.

Get your pinch on.