Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: in search of new gloves
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:29 pm 

I'm currently in need of some new spring gloves which I will wear almost all the time since it doesn't get that cold here at lake tahoe. The grenade ones I currently have are falling apart and get completely soaked if you even think about getting them near snow. I need something durable and waterproof so that I can wear it all day in the BC or a powder day at the resort, but also something that breathes really well and won't be too bulky or hot.

Some of the burton stuff looks nice, maybe the Spectre or the AK Clutch. What else should I be looking at?

edit : anyone have the MH torsion glove? That looks like it could be what I'm looking for. BCR?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:01 am 

I have a pair of Level spring gloves. Level has the best fit options for snowboard specific glove brands. They have half sizes and whole sizes like shoes. They are also an Italian company thats been buildiing gloves for many years, so the quality and fit is lux. I think they are called the New York (style/model), but they are not on they're website. I also have the new AK Guide glove from Burton. They are just a step above a insulated pipe glove. Cool features on the Guide gloves are: Gore XCR (best waterproof /breathable), Outlast temp regulating lining, heat pack pouch on back of hand that also works like a vent when warm and bomber Rodeo leather on the palm and fingers. The AK Clutch has a funky fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:20 am 

I also forgot, the MH Torsion glove is Conduit Soft Shell fabric. The fabric itself is waterproof, but the glove is not - seams not taped/no insert. The gloves are great for touring, but they get soaked when its wet. The Level gloves I mentioned are totally waterproof, but are not insulated. I had a hard time finding gloves that fit, were waterproof/breathable, and were not insulated. Level and Burton have worked best for me, and Dakind has some goodstuff as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:32 am 

I checked out those AK Guide gloves online and they look pretty warm and bulky. Are they? I already have the burton RPM gloves so I'm pretty well covered when it's cold out or I know my hands are going to be spending alot of time in the snow. What I'm looking for specifically is gloves for the ascent and warmer days. After thinking about it I guess I don't need full waterproofing, just something that performs better than the spring gloves I have now which seem to attract moisture. I'll check out the Level gloves.

I may pick up a pair of the Marmot XT gloves or possibly the Cloudveil sprint troller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:58 pm 

When I first saw the Guide glove I thought it was overkill. Once I tried it on I was surprised how low-pro the fit was. It's insulated with Thinsulate, but is not that warm or bulky. I believe the Outlast is suposed to make up for the light insulation. They are bulkier than a pipe or spring glove, but with so much versatlity and well thought features for one glove, they're a rare find.

If you need more of a approach glove I may recomend the Comet glove from Mammut. I should be touting these since I work for Mammut. They are made with Scholer Dryskin soft shell fabric (true soft shell). The MH torsion glove is using a soft shell fabric, but since it has a membrain, it's more of a softhand hardshell. I like the breathability of true soft shell fabrics. They are highly wind resistant, water resistant, super breathable, and dry fast. They also have a very low-pro fit and durable palms as well. I have found them to work well for Tahoe conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:09 pm 

yoda, do they make that comet glove in Small? I haven't been able to find any in Portland, OR...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:16 am 

They do make the Comet in small. It may be listed as size 7 (euro size).
Mtn. Gear may have them. I'm not sure who sells Mammut in OR. I handle sales in northern CA & NV. I'll see what I can find out for dealers near your location. Unfortunately, Mammut's website is not a good reference for a dealer listing. Sorry, I miss spelled Schoeller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:17 pm 

Check out the Black Diamond Dry Tool - super tough and dexterous, and though not fully waterproof, strikes the right balance between waterproofness and breathability, especially for BC days where you spend most of the time skinning or climbing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:37 pm 

Second the recommendation for the Dry Tool gloves. Fit them snug. They are very breathable and dextrous. I basically live in mine unless it's the dead of winter and windy, in which case I break out the mittens and wool liners.

Other gloves similar to the Dry Tool are the BD Deviants, the OR Alibis, and the Cloudveil Ice Floe gloves. Try a bunch on and see what feels best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:17 pm 

Probably too warm for the OPs use but I love my BD Mercury mitts. Super warm and breathable (IMO you can't get a waterproof glove that also breaths well). I've considered getting the Dry Tool gloves to use as a liner so I can take off the shell and have warmth and dexterity but so far I'm getting by fine and cheap without them.

I've turned my back on Burton's gloves (i forget the model but they were "good" ones, AK Tactical or something like that) after I went through 3 pairs in 3 seasons. They all had a patch of fabric at the base of the thumb on the palm and that fabric always frayed apart leaving a big hole that the Gore Tex would fall out of. They warrenteed them everytime but who needs that hassle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:40 pm 

I realized that I wouldn't be able to find fully waterproof'ness, and that I really didn't need it in these gloves. I love my Burton RPM gloves and have had 0 problems with them in 2 seasons but they are only for cold snowy days.

I ended up going with Marmot XT gloves, they should be here today. I've been very happy with marmot and their customer service so I decided to give these a try, they weren't too pricy and I think they will breathe well while keeping my hands dry on those warmer days or for ascents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:46 pm 

I also suggest the BD dry tools Ive had mine for 4 seasons and still holding up great .I also pack some Burton mittens but have yet to pull them from my pack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:53 pm 

just a little note for anyone else looking for glove suggestions:

i went with the marmot xt glove and so far I've been extremely happy with them. i've used them for a couple of hours of ascent on a warm day and i've used them for digging pits and doing beacon practice in snow up to my waist on a colder day with major wind. they've kept my hands warm but not too warm and very dry.