Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: UTAH 2012-13 Conditions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:03 pm 

Today did not disappoint, headed into Days and then over to Cardiff

The Standard Wasatch Tour

Managed to eke one in on lookers left...Some bizarre line selection going on, people forgot to drink their V8
Back up to Main Days...Surprised there was only a couple tracks in...Upper Shot, Spooner Sigs
Lower half, I love this gully run...and some random track cutting across below perhaps searching for his V8?
Back Up to do the Hallway... been wanting to check it out for a while
Up over to Cardiac managed to make it to the ridge today...was worried about when the clouds were going to start rolling in
I RSVP'd
Another Canvas
Home run...variable exit...some soft spots, but mostly crust...Rode ok on a snowboard

Seems to be always somebody around in Days and Cardiff, met some nice people and linked up some runs together which is an added benefit when rolling solo. No instabilities noticed today except south facing heating up resulting in some minor wet sluffing, winds were calm all day but picking up later in the evening.

peace
-d

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:02 pm 

^ solid stoke! Good pics.. did east silver -> jaws -> toledo yesterday and when we dropped @ 5pm there was 1 wiggler in all of Cardiff, plus one natural toward Cardiac bowl. The traffic in LCC yesterday was horrendous and there were very few ppl out touring in the cottonwood ridge, considering it was a bluebird weekend day.

a good day of touring requires warm hands
el ridge
my solution to the problem of untracked snow
buddy exiting days chute
on up to flagstaff!
toledo was a bit fussy with some thin trigger zones
shifted away from the suncrust aspect and powder was had a good way towards the car

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:06 am 

stoooooke!!!!! some great TR's up in here

Doug, bummer to hear about the junk show...I still remember my first so called tour post holing up a fresh skinner early season at Alta, I was walking right behind the guy as he was setting the skinner, he must've been so pissed!! Looking back I wish he would've yelled at me or something.

I suppose some people are lucky touring is not like surfing... you'd get beat up and your board broke in half for stuff like that...I think in those circumstances its definitely ok to speak up, not to be a jerk but address the issue

The backcountry is no place for fun....kidding!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:00 pm 

mar123 wrote:
stoooooke!!!!! some great TR's up in here

Doug, bummer to hear about the junk show...I still remember my first so called tour post holing up a fresh skinner early season at Alta, I was walking right behind the guy as he was setting the skinner, he must've been so pissed!! Looking back I wish he would've yelled at me or something.

I suppose some people are lucky touring is not like surfing... you'd get beat up and your board broke in half for stuff like that...I think in those circumstances its definitely ok to speak up, not to be a jerk but address the issue

The backcountry is no place for fun....kidding!! :mrgreen:
^^^ +1 Nice lines
Dave I hear ya, I'm as guilty as the next person when it comes to beginners blunders.
In hindsight it was the magnitude of newbs that got me riled up, but in the end no real harm was done and its all in pursuit of the goods :D
They're just lucky Tremper wasn't around to give them a stern talk'n to :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:50 pm 

Spent the day in Wolverine Cirque. Wind had blasted around the ridgeline on the east side of the cirque, most lines held good snow; soft and stable. Rode a west face down in the afternoon and the snow was pretty sun effected, the sun was bright today.

While on top of the cirque rim today I lost my camera. It is my dads, it is a handheld digital camera, and I am not sure what kind it is. It was in a black case when I misplaced it. There were lots of people out today, including quite a few splitboarders. Hoping someone might have picked it up.... but I doubt it. But, if you did, holla at ya boy with a PM!

Cheers :guinness:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:18 pm 

Got out for a little mini shred session this afternoon...Fig8 area from Brighton

Some good snow and fun turns
Working them Wasatch Wiggles out
Cruzin

Snow seemed to be bonded well on the lines ridden.

laters
-d

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:15 pm 

speaking of noobs...I took my mom touring for the first time today. I bought her a little AT set up and have been trying to get her down from ID for some turns. I forgot how much of a struggle it is to learn how to skin, kick turn, side slip etc.. Also the downhill was pretty tricky for here as well even in a super benign area like mill d north. She hasn't skied much since I left idaho six years ago. I saw all sorts of variations on getting up and down the hill today including but not limited to- post holing, butt sliding, crawling, and skin skiing. all in all it was a great experience( for me at least) and the mountains were goddamned pretty today! FYI it was -8 at spruces this morning. alright thats it i'm off the uintas for a few days. :guinness: :doobie:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:08 pm 

I took the split with me to brighton the last two days. Snow was overall pretty good, even on south facing aspects. Rode some new, less traveled lines

as well as some popping my cherry on some bigger, well travel ones

Best part was finding a camera that some sucker left on top of the cirque...... PM sent ShredOR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:29 pm 

Went up cardiff --> cardiac --> mineral --> mill b. Got a good amount of sun, lots of rockfall and wetslides. Will post some pics once I get em. looong day.

the approach
last few verts to the top
the descent begins
looking back
thanks to Casey for the pics

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:13 am 

Had a fun tour on Saturday. I guess these conditions have changed now, but man was it hot. Even stuff slightly on the north side of the compass was baking. A zipper rime crust that didn't really matter on a board resided on the north facing high terrain. We hit 4 different drainages through the tour, including a couple I had never been in. Great views all the way out to Pilot Peak and the Raft Rivers. I had one of my biggest scares of my touring career when I was stomping my ski (in split-mode) into an icy steep slope and my locked-out dynafit toe-piece just popped off. My ski took off down the 40 deg slope, below which was a multiple-hundred foot cliff and then a thousand plus vertical before the trees. It stuck like a dart into the snow about 50 feet before the cliff, and 100 vert below me. Whew. Photos courtesy of Ian.

Ridge walking on ascent

View from the top

The initial descent. The snow was great!

The exit chute. Pow up top, turnable wet snow at the bottom. It was a relatively easy ski all the way to the creek, which we were happy about. Snow depths at that elevation might not last long though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:41 pm 

MEJ- you just did my dream tour i've been wanting to hit all year. good work.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:31 pm 

We went to the yurt. We dropped pillows, sat in the sun, broke bindings, and I made a fool of myself.

All hail the chimera

giants await

The zone

Zach

Cement shoes burn

Hot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:57 am 

Looks like a nice trip Dan! Also, sweet shorts.

Was thinking of poking around this weekend as I haven't been touring in a few weeks. Has anyone been up to Upper Bell Canyon Reservoir area lately? Was wondering what the coverage looked like on Lone. Hate to slog that far to be disappointed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next