Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I know it's a SPLITBOARD forum, but I need help...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:49 pm 

...for a maybe future splitboard kid.

My 11 old daughter just got a Burton Feather 135 for Christmas. She is doing fine so far and can handle toe edge and heel edge turns on her "good" days. Dad is a die-hard-skier and has no clou about boarding and binding location and settings and all the stuff you need to know.

We think Anna is a regular and she feels comfortable to scoot with her left foot in the binding to the chairlift. The bindings are mounted to the center location of the 3 options given by the inserts. The front foot is angled about 30 degree and the back foot 6 degree. (the toes are pointing forward) The binding seems to be a little bit located towards the the end of the board, about 3" different front/back. I observed plenty other boarders at our local hill and they have a much wider stance and the toes of their rear foot are pointing more towards the end. Most boarders have the bindings pretty much centered, front and rear foot are about equal distance from tip/end.

She got a couple of lessons already, and is boarding with friends, but the location we are living at the moment is not a typical skiing/boarding mekka where you find a bunch knowledgeable guys. The instructor din't say a thing. I hope some of you splitters can help out a b/c-skier-dad to get the kid going and maybe we need a splitboard in the future, who knows.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:00 pm 

30+ in the front sounds pretty extreme for someone just starting. I run roughly +15 in the front and -15 in the rear and I think that is fairly common.

It's all about what feels comfortable to her though. What I usually do for people who are starting out is to take the bindings off the board completely and have them stand on the board, asking them to position themselves however they feel comfortable. Then I try and setup the bindings similar to that.

As far as her being regular or goofy...I don't know how well this works but I've always heard of one way to figure this out. When she's standing still and not paying attention push her from behind. Whatever foot she sticks out in front to brace herself with should be the foot in the front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:17 pm 

Good adivce on goofy or regular.... though, sometimes it helps to try out both and see what is the most comfortable.

Same thing with angles... I tried out all sorts of different set-ups, before i realized that anything less than 45 in the front and 40 in the back just won't work for me. I like to be facing downhill, and I like hardboots. it has a lot to do with my natural balance, etc...

Come to think of it, the same applies to stance width... just try a lot of things out. As long as she can comfortably squat and then rais eher body up again, it should be within the range of the possible.

Snowboarding stances are so incredibly subjective that there really is no easy answer.

Zach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:31 pm 

On determining regular or goofy - As an instructor I can't "push" the kids to see which foot comes out in front. I usually tell them to pretend like they're going to run and slide on a sheet of ice. Whichever foot is in front is most likely going to be the same on a board. Or if they have experience on a skateboard, same setup.

With stances, when we're starting kids out we usually set up their angles at 15+ in front, -5 or so in back. This seems to be the best for beginners. Don't want to start them out totally duck, nor aggressive alpine style either. As they progress they'll learn what works for them and change it up, ie duck-footed freestylers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:34 pm 

I can remember first starting to snowboard and trying to figure out how I would like my stance. I already knew that I was a goofy-footed rider (from skating as a kid) but the stance was a problem at first. I tried every angle on my binding and stance possible in the beginning. It does take a bit of time but getting a comfy stance makes snowboarding alot more fun. Honestly until this day, about a decade and 1/2 from when I first began, I still "play around" with my set-up appropriate for the conditions. Dont be fooled by those other "kids" riding with 24 inch stances. They watch too many snowboarding vids and magazines. Bottom-line "explore every stance and angle on a board until comforable".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:22 pm 

the Feather is a wicked starter board, props for not cheaping out, I hope her boots and bindings are like wise non crap.

In bounds I move my angles around a lot depending on what sort of day it is, but my split board is +17 front and +5 rear. on slow traverses it some times feel like my frount foot is angled too far forward, but once I pick up speed is feels just right.

as for width, the center marks are in the boards sweet spot and generaly try to set most boards up to hit it. a good indicator of where it should be, measure her shoulder width and add an inch or two, then go from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:47 am 

The setup sounds fine. How tall is she? Your feet should be at least as far apart as your shoulder width, or often more depending on the board. You also want to check the position of the boot relative to the board along the toe-heel axis to make sure there is no toe or heel drag.

I wouldn't worry about whether she's goofy or regular footed. Experiment using a skateboard if you're unsure, because then switching your stance/direction is trivial.

You need at least one season and 10-20 days to really get proficient with a board. I think the best advice to give a learning snowboarder is to bend your knees often. It gives you better edge control, and more importantly for beginners (and dads), it results in milder wipeouts. After that you work on weighting your feet in different ways to engage the edges, and knowing when and how to unweight the board. Finally, speed is your friend, and the sooner you learn how to make it play nice the more fun you will have.

de prisa de prisa rumbo perdido

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:07 am 

Thanks for the helpful tips.

I tried the trick with letting her slide on a slick wooden floor before we set up the board, to figure if she is Regular or Goofy. She started sliding with her left foot the first couple times and later she switched to her right one occationly.

I got the stance width right according to some suggestions above, just a little wider than her shoulders. I reduced the angle to +15 front and 0 rear.

She is about 4'10" and 95 lbs, and no worries the Feather is equipped with appropriate bindings and boots.

Last night she was reading the post and some of the answers. I also had to explain exactly what a splitboard is for and why it has a walking mode, she got the picture now - 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:26 am 

All suggestions sound great!

Where ya live?