Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Time for new boots

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Time for new boots
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:39 am 

My ankle is pretty jacked after touring this past weekend. I think it's time for new boots. I've spent some time reading through this board and I'm no closer to a direction let alone a decision.

My SLX boots are awesome for the resort, but they're no match for Spark bindings apparently. They're just too soft which probably explains why my right ankle hurts three days later still. I tried Drivers and they were too big both in size and in bulk - they're like giant moon boots. Returned em. I've heard mix reviews about Malamutes. Tried them on at the store and they didn't feel good at all. I wear a size 10 across the board and I need boots that fit flat wider feet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Time for new boots
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:49 am 

I have the malamutes and they are very comfortable for me, except that they are kind of wide across the heel and doesn't fit too well with the high-back (I'll upload a pic later). But if the malamutes are not comfortable for you, you should skip them for sure.

It sounds like you do not have enough arch support. I skinned up with my boot upper loose, and rode down without tightening them up on accident, and I didn't have any issues...

JimW (I think that's his screen name) at the Donner Splitboard party, showed us his Fitwell boots from Italy, and I think they look like a great option. Here's a thread regarding those movies that you like to read up on it.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12972

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:39 pm 

I agree the Drivers are stupid bulky but I have really come to love mine. Though after about 40 days on them now they are starting to feel packed out. Not unexpected I guess. Couldn't get the Malamutes to work for me even though I was a big fan of Salomons before. My rants are all over this site.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:50 pm 

Maybe the Burton Imperials? I am needing a new pair of boots too, and they are on my radar. Vibram sole, cheaper, and not too stiff. There was a review here somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:21 pm 

If your riding pow all day 32 boots are a good option and light weight. Fitwells if your into anything else.
Go to your local shop find the best fitting boot and supporting your local shops is always good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:19 am 

Deeluxe Spark (mountaineering sole), Flow Talon Focus (stiff; nice dual Boa), Fitwell Backcountry (mountaineering sole), Salomon Malamute...

...whatever fits your feet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:59 am 

Really? Drivers are bulky? Has something changed? I used to have Drivers, then bought Malamutes when they wore out. My biggest complaint is how bulky the 'mutes are. The Drivers, in the same size, and a good inch shorter and much lower profile, but they are about 6 years old now.

I still haven't bought into the snowboard mountaineering boot thing. I ride my boots inbounds and out and honestly have no complaints. I'm not hiking on boilerplate crust like in the PNW and rarely use crampons so I don't really see the need for welts and hiking soles. I've never had my boots hold me back from getting to a line, and I've been on some hairy stuff. I just want a good ol fashioned pair of stiff snowboard boots.

BTW most boots are heat moldable to some extent so store fit can be fixed... to some extent. Not like ski boots though. I wonder when a boot company will start making shells and sourcing intuition liners.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:47 pm 

Most of the new Burton boots, at least the upper half that I'm aware of, don't require a break-in period as it's known since the past couple of seasons. They have some snazzy name for it... "Total comfort". You don't really need to heat mold them but I guess that couldn't hurt. Marketing hype aside, I have to admit that my SLXs from the end of 2011 which I still ride at the resort are quite comfy but the liner pack out is starting to creep in. Anyway,I decided to try a half size smaller in Drivers and while they feel better, especially in the heal, my toes are right at the point that if the boot was any smaller it would be a problem. Since the liners will pack out somewhat I think I might find a balance after a day or two out. I also adjusted my bindings to make more room for the boot so hopefully the ride will be dialed now.

Thanks for the feedback!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:08 pm 

So far i really like my Ride Insano Focus Boas. They are the lightest boot i have had and the boa system makes loosening for tour mode quick. I have only have about 15 days of touring in them though. They seem like a 7/10 for stiffness. Nice intuition liners.

I worry about the boa system breaking one day(though i've seen videos showing simple replacement, think bike cable) and the tread is made from some type of stabilized foam (light weight but not going to last with excessive rock scrambling)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:45 pm 

I hear people that worry about the BOA cables all the time. I've owned the Vans Cirro with double boa for the past six or seven years, never had a cable snap, never had any failure of anykind.
The BOA system is pretty damn bomber, the only negative thing I have an issue with is sometimes my pants catch the knob and I have to tighten my boots up again. Definitely not a big deal!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:48 am 

Maxwell Graham wrote:
I hear people that worry about the BOA cables all the time. I've owned the Vans Cirro with double boa for the past six or seven years, never had a cable snap, never had any failure of anykind.
The BOA system is pretty damn bomber, the only negative thing I have an issue with is sometimes my pants catch the knob and I have to tighten my boots up again. Definitely not a big deal!

+1 for the BOA system, been using the DC Judge dual BOA's for 6 years or so and never a problem with the cable snapping or dial breaking. I know when they first came out like 12 years ago they had more issues back then and I think that's where people got the perception of them not lasting. I think they got the kinks worked out now but I do carry a spare cable and along with misc binding parts just in case, it's really easy to change out the parts if need be.
I tried going back to the quicklace system last year with the Burton Imperial and hated how they kept coming loose, and hated fumbling with those stupid long laces with gloves which would also fall out of the lace pocket on the boot.

BOA's are great for touring, a quick loosen for the hike up and a quick tighten at the top for the ride down...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:04 am 

shredgnar wrote:
Really? Drivers are bulky? Has something changed? I used to have Drivers, then bought Malamutes when they wore out. My biggest complaint is how bulky the 'mutes are. The Drivers, in the same size, and a good inch shorter and much lower profile,
This is my exact experience also. Just got Malamutes this season (jury is still out) and they are much large by volume than my 08' Drivers. Both still fit the bill for a Splitboard softboot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:11 pm 

I always preferred laces, because they are easy to fix and reliable.
However, during a camping trip last weekend, I got to see how easy a set of BOAs were to put on in the morning - without the laces freezing!

I now have a set of BOA boots in the mail :o