Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: SoCal /Central Coast Riders
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:38 pm 

Rider38 wrote:
Gorgornio? Or anywhere im down if someone has a plan or is itching to get up...Saturday or Sunday? Looks like 1-2 ft today tomorrow with bluebird weekend. I'm even down for laps on Angeles crest...

I'm going to go poke around on Saturday. Still working on the plan. Wish I could call in sick tomorrow... :banghead:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:34 am 

Im in for Saturday. Live in Ventura County and can drive. Avi 1 certified. Let me know if your interested.

JB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:42 pm 

I live at the base of the San Bernardino Mtns., in Redlands.

Looking for potential split-partners this weekend. Not sure yet which day.

Have avy gear, some basic mountaineering experience, Avy I training, but certainly don't consider myself a back-country expert.

Just looking to get out for the day and get some turns in.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:05 pm 

I would definitely be down for San G. even doing an overnighter. If doing a day trip I recommend an early start! But I would be keen to join if someone wants to join.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:23 pm 

Headed to Baden-Powell on Saturday. 7:30 at the trail head. Got a few others interested so could be a party :doobie: :guinness: :disco: Drop me a line if you want in. I'll bring the jerky.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:34 pm 

Turns out I'm going up to snow summit this evening, so an early morning start tomorrow is out.

I also got a disappointing snow report from someone who was recently in the San G. back-country, so that's taken a bit of the wind out of my sails. This was forwarded to me by a friend. I don't know the original poster. Hopefully he doesn't mind it being re-posted here.

**STORM UPDATE**
Because of the size of this group, and the fact that many of you have never done backcountry skiing in socal, I decided to go do a scouting mission today. I was surprised, but sadly, this storm really fizzled out and it looks like it arrived with a lot more wind than snow. What was forecasted to be around 22-30 inches of cold snow, turned out to be somewhere between 4 and 10 inches, even as high as 10,500 ft. The base we had prior to this storm was also damaged more than I expected by the recent dry/warm spell so things are still very shallow out there. I spent the day at one of my favorite spots that usually catches a little extra snow and there are still plenty of rocks, only now they are under only inches of new snow, making them nearly impossible to spot before you plow into them. Some other slopes in the area didn't look like they received any snow at all. This is frustrating to be sure, and its already been a frustrating season, but I am still hopeful for a snowy March.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:47 pm 

Yeah I hear ya TrevorInCA, thanks for the Beta. Going to Bear on Sunday. Can only handle that mess once a week so going to take my chances and hope for some nice pockets up Baden on Sat.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:45 pm 

SoCalSnow is hosting its first free Avalanche Awareness Class on the evening of March 13th. Hosted at the Tarzana A16, the class will include a slideshow presentation, equipment demonstration, and question and answer session. Allen Giernet, class instructor and SoCalSnow director will also talk about using SoCalSnow as a resource, as well as what additional education and resources we hope to offer in the future.

Check out the Events page at http://www.socalsnow.org/events.html, or look us up on Facebook.

Our Events page also has information about an upcoming AVI 1 course in the LA area, hosted by the National Ski Patrol. Not free, but an incredibly cheap AVI 1 course.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:06 pm 

Avy alert.
On Sunday three members in my group triggered two avalanches on Baden Powell. NW aspect, 38º. 8000'.
We saw many types of snow (huge cornices (for L.A.), blower pow, bullet proof ice, corn, breakable crust). This happened to be crust on dust on bulletproof crust.

Keep an eye out for the signs and choose your terrain accordingly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:41 pm 

Went up to Baden Powell on Saturday and headed out the road to the back bowls. Found dry 8-10" new snow on a hard crust and a few areas of deeper wind blown. The top was really nice but as we got lower our terrain options became limited. Dropped in to a chute that leads to the main drainage out. Saw this and knew we had to be careful about the next section.
Even with our best efforts we still managed to trigger this one.
No one was caught as it ran about 100-150 ft. 1 ft crown and about 15 ft wide. Best guess would put the slope at 35-38 degrees on a NW Aspect.

Overall fun day out but a great reminder that you can't let your guard down.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:51 am 

snojerk wrote:

Oh man snojerk, my favorite run in the whole range is that drainage approached from the summit, with a ride/hike west then north to drop in. 2000 vertical feet in one slog. So rad! Those east-facing chutes you can see from the highway look so tempting.
And how about that steep slope between 8700' and 8200' where the trees protect the pow? :drool:

So my group's avalanche was on the massive face two drainages to the east of where you were. We were going to head to your drainage but with those conditions, we felt the gully was too much of a terrain trap (but for some reason the route we chose was ok :scratch: ) :nononno:

On higher-risk days the N & NW aspects of the bowl to the north of you (the drainage into the turnout with "2" in your map) offers lower risk turns: never more than 30º, fewer terrain traps, more islands of safety.
Also, the Acorn trail in Wrightwood, above the property boundary, offers a variety of aspects with mellow slopes and little jibbing zones.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:58 pm 

Yeah Hans, loved that top section! :thumpsup:

Would love to check out the Acorn trail sometime.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:25 pm 

Anyone heading out after this latest storm?

I'm in Mammoth until Sunday, but might be up for a San Jac, or San G. trip on Monday or Tuesday...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next