Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:33 pm 

Sometimes I like to wear slippers. Sweet dreams -BBD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:42 am 

provotrout wrote:
this could very well have been discussed before but I've been leaving the back boot ankle strap firm and leaving the top open. It's a little different having the front foot locked in with a lot of support and the back heel locked down with a very flexy fore/aft/medial flex, but I've really enjoyed the freedom of movement. As long as you have a solid heel lock with the ankle buckle, your back foot can initiate turns and provide a more nimble feel. The TLTs are getting close to what I consider the ideal flex/support setting.

cheers

Provo, good to meet ya in UT. You mean that you are riding without the forward lean on the back foot, right? If so, that will give you a very surfy feel which could be really fun in pow and tighter terrain at slow to medium speeds. I could see this approach making a lot of sense, especially combined with the loose pin tail of the Uni Chaser. But, beware, that this approach may make it harder to hold and finish a strong heelside turn, at speed, in steeper terrain, and or in harder snow. I like having a solid highback support (with lean) for my rear leg so that can really nail hard heelside turns off the tail of the board when necessary. Everyone has their own style and preferences though, and there is nothing wrong with that! What is cool, is the different ys the boot can be tuned and used to suit different riding styles, terrain, and snow conditions.
For me, forward lean on the back foot is necessary for my riding approach, but I do ride with the rear cuff a little looser than the front (but still snugged up, just not tight). Sometimes I turn off the forward lean on the back foot for slow speed, super tight, bobsled style exit tracks through the trees though, as this makes it easier to just push the tail around to steer (I used to do this with soft bindings as well).

As to the TLT6: can anyone confirm that it is going to be stiffer than the 5? My TLT5s are getting pretty chewed up (this is their third season) and I am probably going to need new boots for next year. I like the increased width of the 6, but if it is stiffer, may look for a spring deal on a 5, or try another boot (the Scarpa Rush looks very interesting to me, a little heavier, but warmer, and lots of easy mod options).

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:00 pm 

I have put some more days on my TLT5s now and I am very, very sold on them. Definetly the best riding feeling and experience of all the boots I have had. Haven't made a single mod to them, tough. The forward lean feels just right. I am even keeping the strap for now - really helps for carring. I keep it loose when in pow/soft snow, but tighten it for the hardpack and piste carving days. And as they are with the thermo foldable TF-X liners (no Intuition this season) I molded them leaning forward a bit to create more space. Maybe it's because of the voile sliders, that I am forced to use right now - they intruduce some slack to the system. I am having hard time to find suitable type and size of aluminium to CNC my idea for a slider, but once I do it, I guess I will finally have to mod the boots.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:28 pm 

As to the TLT6: can anyone confirm that it is going to be stiffer than the 5? My TLT5s are getting pretty chewed up (this is their third season) and I am probably going to need new boots for next year. I like the increased width of the 6, but if it is stiffer, may look for a spring deal on a 5

^
^
^
I'd like to know that answer too.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Kinda, I had some boot issues, lost/broke my bottom cable on my boot. Good thing i still carry around the top power strap. Wrapped it around the arch of the foot and it got me through the day.
Came home and went to the hardware store and picked up some aircraft cable in a couple different widths, cut it, trimmed off the plastic at the ends and crimped it.
Its working well while I wait for Dynafit to send me another one.
Another item thats going in my trip parts package.

Can't get my Intuitions tight enough with the laces so the power strap is going on around the liner.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:12 pm 

jamie: Thin Spectra cord works great as a in the field fix for lost or broken cables on the buckles. This stuff weighs next to nothing, and has dozens of potential uses, it is also very much a non-stretch cord, which is what is needed. The lower buckle cable does tend to come come off of its fixture, I solved this by gluing it in place with some silicone, which is easily removed with a sharp knife if necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:05 am 

What's the predicted life span of these boots? Long life will go a long way for justifying the purchase for me. My Burton drivers lasted two seasons. I'm hoping to purchase this set-up second hand in a couple of years (if any one will let them go?) When will the plastic crack or will you get sick of looking at them before their done?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:36 am 

Zude wrote:
What's the predicted life span of these boots? Long life will go a long way for justifying the purchase for me. My Burton drivers lasted two seasons. I'm hoping to purchase this set-up second hand in a couple of years (if any one will let them go?) When will the plastic crack or will you get sick of looking at them before their done?

It depends. I have hard boots which are over 20 years old, and still functional. The liners do wear out over time, but are easily replaced. The plastic shells last almost forever. Occasionally buckles will need replacement, but that can be done fairly easily as well.
The only parts of the boot shell really subject to wear are the rubber sole, and the Dynafit fittings in the toe. The toe fittings seem to last a really long time, but I guess they will eventually wear out (they are hardened steel). The sole is another story. The TLT5 uses a minimal rubber sole for weight savings, and it gets chewed up pretty quickly. For those whose touring is predominently on snow, and who do little to no walking on talus piles, or rock climbing, the sole will last forever. Here in Colorado, I tend to do quite a bit of walking on very sharp talus (our ridges are usually devoid of snow due to wind) and climbing for spring descents. My TLT5 soles are pretty chewed up now (this is their third season, and I use them for all of my riding). If one is really concerned about sole wear, a different boot with a little heavier sole might be a good idea (like the Scarpa Rush). But I am fine with the durability of the TLT5 for my purposes, and have no problem buying new boots after three seasons of use.
Unless cash is not a concern, I would advise never paying full price for AT boots. Most of these boots can be found at substantial savings during the spring sales, usually starting about now every year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:08 pm 

Good to hear, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:56 am 

barrows wrote:
Provo, good to meet ya in UT. You mean that you are riding without the forward lean on the back foot, right? If so, that will give you a very surfy feel which could be really fun in pow and tighter terrain at slow to medium speeds. I could see this approach making a lot of sense, especially combined with the loose pin tail of the Uni Chaser. But, beware, that this approach may make it harder to hold and finish a strong heelside turn, at speed, in steeper terrain, and or in harder snow. I like having a solid highback support (with lean) for my rear leg so that can really nail hard heelside turns off the tail of the board when necessary. Everyone has their own style and preferences though, and there is nothing wrong with that! What is cool, is the different ys the boot can be tuned and used to suit different riding styles, terrain, and snow conditions.
For me, forward lean on the back foot is necessary for my riding approach, but I do ride with the rear cuff a little looser than the front (but still snugged up, just not tight). Sometimes I turn off the forward lean on the back foot for slow speed, super tight, bobsled style exit tracks through the trees though, as this makes it easier to just push the tail around to steer (I used to do this with soft bindings as well).

Exactly - After accidentally leaving the shin buckle open on the back a week ago the light went on that it's a fun way to ride. It probably helps that the liners are relatively new and more supportive than the stock ones, once they soften up a bit it will probably be time to start buckling again. Until then :headbang:

Thanks for the note, definitely seems prudent to buckle it for larger, high speed runs. The heelside support is a concern, it just hasn't been problematic yet. The next high pressure system will be a good opportunity to figure out the limit of the new approach. Take care-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:22 am 

I'm really intrested in modding the lateral parts fo the TLT5s for sideways flex, but just can't quite bring myself to take the dremel to them :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:54 am 

singlewhitecaveman wrote:
I'm really intrested in modding the lateral parts fo the TLT5s for sideways flex, but just can't quite bring myself to take the dremel to them :cry:

if you end up doing this, please report. I have owned a couple of pairs of snowboard HB in the past which had slotted pivot points to provide lateral/medial flex. I would suggest just starting with the medial side only, drilling out the pivot rivot, slotting the white shell a little (a little will probably go a long way here) towards the sole of the boot (allowing more flex to the medial side) and putting in a new pivot (use a scew type, so it is easy to try again). Note though, that if you slot the pivot point upward at all, you will lose some forward lean.
If you have not cut the cuff down at all, try it first, just a little though. 1/4" to 3/8" off the medial side, and a little less off of the lateral side did increase the flex noticeably for me.

On the TLT6: I watched a short movie on its features, and they showed that the plastic cuff "Mountain" version will still be available. From what I could see, the cuff appeared to be from the same mold as the 5, good news, as this means the flex should be the same. The other changes all look good, warmer, thicker liner, more robust buckles, easier to fit, and even the sole looks like it may have been beefed up a little. Hope my 5s hang in there long enough to wait for sales on 6s late next season.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:51 pm 

Still clinging to the method dream, eh?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:43 am 

breadbox wrote:
Still clinging to the method dream, eh?

Good point. Should've added I'm only interested in modding the back boot.

Breadbox, when you figure out hard boots are the way to go, can I reccomend you mod the front boot only? That way you don't have to give up your switch japan airs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next