Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bozeman Thread 2012/2013
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:02 am 

Correction: this morning's report stated it as, "On Saturday evening skiers triggered an avalanche on Alex Lowe Peak, located southwest of Mt. Blackmore."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:41 pm 

didn't get the same stable results like last week at high elevation (10,000 ft) in Hyalite. went back to the same area (south of reservoir) from couple days ago and tried another spot to dig a snow pit. about 60cm of new snow (now consolidated) on top of 25cm of rotten facet. ECTP 17 on NE facing at 7500 ft. also felt a lot of collapsing while touring around. Still, didn't see any slides nor trigger any slides. So... I don't know, I guess I agree with the MT avy guys, there's still potentials to get in trouble depends where you are. play safe.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:41 am 

Sam- I didn't see your cave. I didn't see much of anything up there though... visibility was awful until about 3PM when it lifted for a minute. Where is it? That would be a fun spot to have a cave, along with all the other mini basins above the main fork!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:44 am 

nickstayner wrote:
Sam- I didn't see your cave. I didn't see much of anything up there though... visibility was awful until about 3PM when it lifted for a minute. Where is it? That would be a fun spot to have a cave, along with all the other mini basins above the main fork!

When you skin into the basin from the main Hyalite trail you cross that wide open meadow. In the middle of that meadow is a large rock covered with snow. From that rock look up the basin in a generally Westward direction toward a clump of trees that sit at the bottom of a small slope. In those trees is a snow cave large enough for about four people and there's still snow that can be dug out to enlarge it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:28 pm 

We got an ECTP4 at a location* in the southern half of the Absorokas on Saturday. It was on a southerly aspect at about 9k feet. We were surprised to see it break not at the interface of the old/new snow but about a foot off the ground in some facets that had weakened since we last rode the area 2 weeks prior. On the opposite side of the ridge the snowpack looked similar but we were getting ECTs around 25. We also got some collapsing on a west facing slope/facet farm that scared the heck out of us. So keep your guard up.

* about 1,500' vert above this little shangri-la, hence the secrecy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:59 am 

Nice to hear a report from the A/B. Snow depths/depths of slab would be good to note in above obs. Re: need for secrecy- it's not like anyone rides over there anyway :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:11 am 

My buddy Jon met up with the guy who's making a name for himself as the "human powered mountaineer" to bike tour from BZN over to the T-Roots for a bid on Hollowtop. They're riding there today, camping, skiing tomorrow, and hopefully riding to Norris for a soak and a camping, and then heading back to BZN Sunday. Pretty cool trip if I do say so myself. Give 'em a wave if you happen to be out that way this weekend and see 'em.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:06 pm 

nickstayner wrote:
Nice to hear a report from the A/B. Snow depths/depths of slab would be good to note in above obs.

I honestly don't pay that close attention to depths. There's guys who get paid to do that and my philosphy is similar to avoiding deer while driving - once I see that an animal is in danger of jumping in front of me, I don't need to know if it's a white tail or a muley. But, going from a vague memory, total depth was about 4 feet, with maybe 2 feet of snow from recent storms, and the failure was about 1 foot above the ground.

nickstayner wrote:
Re: need for secrecy- it's not like anyone rides over there anyway :)

True enough but "Chateau Joe" is in place for the whole winter which isn't exactly legal.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:39 pm 

splittilps wrote:
I honestly don't pay that close attention to depths.

interesting philosophy :scratch:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:11 pm 

It's kept me safe for 15 years here in SWMT. Tell me, now that you know I had a failure at 12" above the ground in 4 feet of snowpack at a certain point in space, how do you plan to integrate that info into your decision maiking process? Would you make a different decision than I did?

If your pit collapses easily that's all you need to know - unless you're trying to rationalize "It's only 1" foot, it won't hurt too bad". A one foot thick slap running 50 ft across and a 1000 ft long will kill ya just as quick as a 3' slap running the same area.

I won't take this thread off topic anymore.

And just because my wifey thinks she looks cool :disco: :disco: :disco: :disco: :disco:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:59 pm 

Just to continue the thread drift a little more....

Splittlips, you're right. Depth isn't an important part of the equation in terms of you and your buddies making decisions about certain slopes when you're actually out there making those decisions. But it's a helpful tool when reporting back to this thread because it puts your obs into a more general context and can help others in their trip planning processes.

Now for some on-topic info:

I spent yesterday in the Spanish Peaks and saw a mixed bag of conditions. We didn't see any recent avy activity/cracking/collapsing. Depths and coverage combined with wind transport were variable enough that pit data seemed kind of useless for the day. Many sizeable (200+ pounders) cornice drops seemed a more reliable indicator of stability (maybe), which we did onto NE facing slopes @ ~9700' with no notable results. We wound up lapping this aspect, visible in the top photo below.

The zone for the day:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:05 pm 

what about the fact that a shallow snowpack tends to fracture more often than a deep one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:09 pm 

thanks Nick for sharing the condition from the Spanish Peaks area. your post sure motivated me to venture out of my backyard; next weekend maybe.
Regarding the snow depth, recently I have been finding more stable snow on the deeper pack. The dry spill in Jan really fucked up the snow, especially at where the snow was thin. I'm talking about places in Hyalite.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next