Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Loosen up screws when waxing?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:32 pm 

Hi!

Do you guys loosen up your screws when hot waxing? I dont becuase its a pain if the pucks shift and my touring bracket its threadlocked. When waxing I get these small circles in the base where the inserts are. Not that I can feel it with my finger, but I can see it.
When waxing I rub on the waxbar and wrap the iron in paper and just stroke it over. This both melts and reomves the wax. Tip I got from the swix website. I really dont think the heat is a problem... But I am concerned :lol:

Post subject: Re: Loosen up screws when waxing?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:07 pm 

Bjørgvin wrote:
Hi!

Do you guys loosen up your screws when hot waxing? I dont becuase its a pain if the pucks shift and my touring bracket its threadlocked. When waxing I get these small circles in the base where the inserts are. Not that I can feel it with my finger, but I can see it.
When waxing I rub on the waxbar and wrap the iron in paper and just stroke it over. This both melts and reomves the wax. Tip I got from the swix website. I really dont think the heat is a problem... But I am concerned :lol:

Any normal snowboard waxes better with the bingings off, so I would assume the same would go with a factory splitboard.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:01 am 

I never loosen the screws on either solid or split boards for hot waxing and don't see a reason for doing so.

Realigning the pucks would be a pain in the ass every single time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:07 am 

I never remove bindings on any of my boards. Getting that picky about wax might win races when thousandths count but it really doesn't change much when you're just out kicking around with friends. A good wax job makes a difference, a perfect wax job doesn't.

The circles you see are from the inserts absorbing heat faster than the wood core and cooling the circle of wax faster than the surrounding wax. Don't sweat it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:04 pm 

Hello there my fellow scandinavian.
I work as a ski/board technician, i have had boards "not many" that i waxed and the sole sunk in under the inserts just because the binders dragd the inserts up "towards the topsheet" when the material got hot. All the boards this happend whit had a foam core. If i recall right "from friflyt.no" you are riding a furberg and they are NOT using foam as core material :wink: whit that said i always loosen the binders/pucks on customers boards just in case. How you like the board btw?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:59 pm 

I guess with that last note I should clarify that I don't think I've ever owned a board with a foam core. All of the snowboards that I've had have been wood except for a handful that had some carbon honeycomb in them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:13 pm 

not sure about loosening up screws for waxing. but if you want to know about loosening up the wax for screwing i'm your man.

actually +1 to what jason4 said. just get some wax on there and go rip.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:19 pm 

Thanx for the respons!
Psyco_sw: I like the board! Last year I rode the 173 solid, but ended up with a 167 split. I think all the positives has been said in the Furberg thread. :D What board are you on?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:15 pm 

Bjørgvin: Im on a prior spearhed 167, its one of better boards ive riden but for next season im gonna order a furberg 167 split of pure curiosity. :D