Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tips...give em up
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:55 pm 

so you are going off to some great mountains to get some turns, flying or driving, either way you (or someone else) will be moving your gear around a great deal while you travel. I've done some similar things and thought I would post some tips to keep you riding instead of repeairing gear.

1st: Voile touring brackets...they will get bent on a flight or thrown in the back of the car etc. If possible while travelling lock the slider plate into it with a pin. if you are too lazy to take the bindings off or they won't fit in the bag, then at least put a pin in the touring bracket. a drilled out block of wood works great for extended travel. otherwise you may find yourself hammering away to bend the bracket back.

2nd: For travelling keep the board in one piece with the ends locked if at all possible. This will greatly reduce the possibility of anything snapping off.

3rd: If it is really cold out and you are camping, or even just throwing your board in the car, be sure to remove the bindings(slider) from the pucks. They will freeze into place and when you want to hike in the morning you will either have to show off your herculean strength or bust out the lighter, which works...just be sure not to burn any plastic, lest you cause yourself much greater problems.

4th: Skins...they are your friend. play nice. keep them out of the pine needles and snow. If you are camping and it is cold and they haven't been working well, put them in a sack in your sleeping bag to keep them warm/dry at night, and place them in your jacket on your run down. on extended tours, just keep them of the "skis" and let the sun do it's job during a rest day.

That is all I can think of at the moment, I know I have more but would be stoked if others added to a "Tips" thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:33 pm 

Those are good ones... esp since i'll be getting on a plane in 2 weeks.

FWIW, this coming from a total noob: EXTRA PARTS.

I am sure everyone's running different hardware but Voile and Burton are my two experiences. OS what ever you ride, I would say that you should carefully examine your equipment and imagine when and if you lose this part, or that part, how f-ed would you be in the field. :shock:

For me with a Kyhber and Voile hardware the pins and t-bolts seem to be the worst things to lose, so I ordered extras from Prior and they'll be kept in my pack ready for use when and if that happens at a "bad time". ;)

When I had a Burton Split, with the Burton hw, it was a different set of extras, such as as extra tip/tail hooks, and various screws and bolts (they tended to work loose til I lock-tited them). I remember riding without a tip/tail hook once. It was do-able but not fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:13 am 

I bought a split used and it came with used skins. They weren't bad at all (I don't feel like I got ripped off) but they are beginning to have some trouble sticking (I didn't follow the advice of my tele friend and this was my first time ever using skins for anything).

Short of a reglue, what would be the best way to revive them, if at all possible? They stick fine at first and I keep them in the jacket on the way down, but re-applying them in the same day tends to lead to some problems.

Anyone have any experience with those reglue kits or should I get someone who knows what they are doing to do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:18 am 

fowweezer wrote:
I bought a split used and it came with used skins. They weren't bad at all (I don't feel like I got ripped off) but they are beginning to have some trouble sticking (I didn't follow the advice of my tele friend and this was my first time ever using skins for anything).

Short of a reglue, what would be the best way to revive them, if at all possible? They stick fine at first and I keep them in the jacket on the way down, but re-applying them in the same day tends to lead to some problems.

Anyone have any experience with those reglue kits or should I get someone who knows what they are doing to do it?

don't know if you saw this but here's some good info:
http://talk.splitboard.com/talk/viewtop ... highlight=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:45 pm 

thank you, that was helpful. I'll give some various things a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:58 pm 

I like to go minimal while traveling (I don't do it a lot right now). I just duct tape the pins in place and put the baggage ticket right on the board (no board bag).