Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: UTAH 2012-13 Conditions
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:04 am 

In case you haven't heard: The 2013 Wasatch Splitfest is holding a 3-legged splitboard race is TODAY 4PM at Cardiff/Snowplay/Mill D! If you and your buddy have the fastest time you win a Chimera Split and an Arc'teryx jacket/pants combo! That's some quality crap right there people. If you want to win that you have to go there and bring your splitboard so find a partner quick you have only a few hours to train so let's do it!

Also the snow was fantastic and deep yesterday off west-facing Pink Pine and in Maybird Gully, we did see many small, new surface sluffs and we heard the rumbles of what we thought were two distant slides. Ride safe with this new snow. There were a lot of buried facets on NW through NE aspects.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:07 pm 

Hey, nice job with the splitfest, Bucky! The weather presentation Friday night was great. (This is Ryan, met you in a meeting for the Riverdale project, then I ended up being assigned to a different one) Was only able to get out to the Canyon Inn and tour today.

For anyone wondering about snow conditions: Today we rode the north side of Superior. The ridge from Cardiff Pass to Superior had areas of really firm wind blown snow; I booted with my ice axe in sections in case I slipped. After the north side chutes and north apron, as one of our riders was getting ready to drop into the slope following the north apron, some pieces of a shallow wind slab let loose (not a big area and nothing slid). Another one of our riders dropped in and saw the area around him crack up. The final rider said it was about an 8inch slab that was cracking. The storm snow had only minor sluffing, thankfully.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:22 pm 

I agree. Awesome work Bucky and everyone else who made this happen. I had a blast. It was great to finally get out with many of you and check out a new-to-me area.

Does anyone have Jeremiah's number? I've got his sunglasses and he's got my shoes in his truck. I wasn't able to connect with him after the tour.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:37 pm 

yeah!! thanks Bucky for making the Splitfest happen it was a good time for sure!! Good to meet some of the fellow splitters in person!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:11 pm 

Had a great time seeing everyone. I wasn't around much for the events since work was brutal last week. Thanks for putting on the event Bucky!

Went up Kessler with ShredOR and dropped the East Couloir. One of the best runs of my life.

Tasty looking line

Looking down the couloir

After we rode it

Found a nice little cliff zone on the way down. That was a good time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:24 pm 

nice work Logan!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:10 am 

I'm jealous Logan, I wanna hit that line!

Thanks for the thanks for splitfest, more thanks and stuff on that here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13926&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=39

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:55 am 

Sweet line Logan :headbang: So bummed I was unable to get motivated yesterday, would have loved to hit that one with you, or turkey hill with the other guys :banghead:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:38 am 

So after talking with some people I think we are going to the Stansburry Mountains Saturday early as hell and maybe trying for all 3 couloirs. Both Twins and the North. Here is a photo of the twins from last year. Anyone else want to join? I am working on a tow in to help eliminate some of the approach.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:08 pm 

Too bad I missed the Splitfest, looks like it was a blast! I was in Europe (ISPO/ St Anton) ...would have loved to meet some of you in person!

Would love to tag along on Saturday if you welcome total strangers :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:21 am 

Anyone ever do any touring in the Jarbidge mountains in Northern Nevada? Looks like a cool area, was hoping to get over there this weekend, if I can find partners

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:52 am 

Snowvols - Just curious how well the Salt Lake avy forecast predicts for the oquirrs and stansbury's. In your experience, is it pretty similar?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:01 am 

Got out for a 1100' prework quickie through the aspens.
New snow ranged from a trace up to two inches of dust crust, with a variety of facets, redeposited pow and graupel; with up to eight inches on lee aspects.
Forecast winds were non-existing at 7am, although wind deposits verified the forecast south/southwesterly flow.
Hit a few wind slabs, but in the friendly terrain it just made for a fluffier ride. Lots of sluffing on lee aspects in the NE trees.
Elev 8100' - 9200', NE thru SE

Morning stoke

Not bad for a non-storm

Wind and graupel on the exposed ridge

Aaah morning fresh!

Slabby

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next