Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jones Ultracraft splitboard for 2013/14 @ 5.5lbs!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:22 pm 

Sick concept, but I feel the same about Jones boards. He's a killer dude, but let's face it, Jones Snowboards is a marketing franchise. It's a way for Nidecker to sell shit....with a different label on it. I feel the same about YES too, other than the fact that they have OG camber boards.

However, I wouldn't mind demoing one....

:twocents:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:20 am 

I need to weigh it, but from just picking up boards at SIA, including the Ultracraft, I thought the Arbor Abacus was about the lightest one I checked out. It is also not a carbon board either. Could be that the Arbor was a sort one and the Jones was a bit longer.

I have an Abacus split that I am demoing right now. I can tell you it is a lot lighter than just about any split I've used in the last twelve years. Jury is still out on the ride down, but it sure is nice on the uphill. I'll try to weight it with interface, and without. The Jones board is probably lighter, but damn if I didn't think it was the opposite at SIA.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:23 am 

Side note, this year's model in 164 says it weighs 7.51 lbs. The one I am demoing is a 2014 so I'll have to see if I can find the listed weight for it. Or just weigh it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:35 pm 

It took me a couple years to try out the Jones boards. Their old shit was pretty low quality as seen by all the posts on sb.com and not to mention all those cheap defects that were sold early in the season. I finally pulled the trigger on a 161 Carbon Solution and have had some days on it and it blows the hell out of anything I have ever ridden. Quality is top notch!!! I don't see Jones/Nidecker risking making a crappy board after there fiasco of a start. :twocents:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:44 am 

rughty wrote:
It took me a couple years to try out the Jones boards. Their old shit was pretty low quality as seen by all the posts on sb.com and not to mention all those cheap defects that were sold early in the season. I finally pulled the trigger on a 161 Carbon Solution and have had some days on it and it blows the hell out of anything I have ever ridden. Quality is top notch!!! I don't see Jones/Nidecker risking making a crappy board after there fiasco of a start. :twocents:

Moving a factory from Tunisia to Austria ain't cheap. Moving forward, their product will only continue to improve.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:31 am 

If only they made the same shape with a 26.5" - 27" and 165-170 for large sized Americans.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:59 pm 

Zude wrote:
If only they made the same shape with a 26.5" - 27" and 165-170 for large sized Americans.

well the Owner is only 150lbs and 5'8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm 

Quote:
acopa, isn't your foot supposed to sit back on skis??? All my splits are like that

It definitely sits farther back than I am used to. If I raise my foot, the nose of the ski immediately drops because of the weight difference (ski length in front of the pin vs behind the pin).

I took a small outing on the board this morning and definitely noticed the increased difficulty of kick-turns on the steeps. It just isn't as easy to 'pop' that heel and get your tip elevated.

I was more curious if anybody else noticed this, as I have not seen the complaint anywhere.

A very fun ride though!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:42 pm 

Just for comparison, I just weighed my 09 157 Burton Vapor ~ 5.8lbs and my newly acquired 158 Solution Split ~ 7.4lbs. I can't believe the Ultracraft with the hardware and extra edges is lighter than my Vapor.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:47 am 

Hey Guys, regarding your discussion. I tryed the Ultracraft 156 at After ISPO Split together. And I was stoked. The feeling is strange, because as acopafil mentioned, you have lots of nose and almost no tail while skinning. But anyway I was surprised about the performance. Compared to other Boards I tryed, it has good traction, kicking it for the turn, the nose comes up, it is lighweight and riding it is really fun,... But I tried it at good snow, so there was almost no snow sticking on the boardhalfs while splitting. And it was not really steep where I tried it.
If you wanna see the our litttle writeup? You can do it here. http://www.splitboarding.eu/en/splitboa ... -karakoram

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:26 pm 

acopafeel wrote:
Quote:
acopa, isn't your foot supposed to sit back on skis??? All my splits are like that

It definitely sits farther back than I am used to. If I raise my foot, the nose of the ski immediately drops because of the weight difference (ski length in front of the pin vs behind the pin).

I took a small outing on the board this morning and definitely noticed the increased difficulty of kick-turns on the steeps. It just isn't as easy to 'pop' that heel and get your tip elevated.

I was more curious if anybody else noticed this, as I have not seen the complaint anywhere.

A very fun ride though!

I recall one or a few people mentioning how they thought it was odd that the toe pin/mount was located to the rear of the skis balance point in one of the "Jones boards" or "Hovercraft" threads a year or so ago.

It was also discussed that the Jeremy and the testers had tried and tested it and believed that was the best place for it to be mounted.

To me it looks like they tried to put your foot (in tour mode) directly over the center of the camber part of the board, so that when you weight down onto a foot it presses down on the center of the camber which would then spread your weight over the whole ski and give your climbing skin max grip. Which seems logical... for grip.

But ya, because the nose & front rocker of the Hovercraft is so long it pushes your feet back behind the balance point in order to hit the center of the camber, as a side effect, my Hovercraft also tends to submarine the nose of the skis in tour mode when you are going up steep and deep terrain. My topsheet is starting to get pretty beat up around the edges from me clicking the skis together to try and knock the snow off on heavy snow days... Of course, I don't actually care what the top sheet looks like as long as it keeps kicking ass on the way down...

Other times the long nose and rocker at the front will cause the skis to happily ride up on top and it's a pleasure in these situations! I wonder if the lighter weight of the Ultracraft would improve this?

I would actually be curious to see some helmet/POV cam footage of Jeremy skinning on the Hovercraft to see how he does it. I wonder if we're just doing it wrong? Or if he is just so fit that he doesn't even notice the drag when the skis bury themselves.

Disclaimer: I have only ever skinned on the Hovercraft... so the above is merely observation of it's behavior... not a comparison to anything else.

Maybe we're getting a bit off topic for an Ultracraft thread here (talking about the Hovercraft so much). I do want to add that I think the concept of creating the Ultracraft board as two split skis designed to work together, instead of one solid board designed to be carved in half actually sounds like a pretty good idea. You would be able to control stiffness, etc. much more accurately.

But I am also worried about the complications that will come along with that design, such as fit. How accurately will they be able to fit the two pieces together in mass production? Especially with the mellow magnatraction wave in the center? I hope their quality control can keep up with this concept, because I still want to see these boards around for years to come... (I might kill/wear out my Mountain Twin one day and will need a replacement!)

-hps

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:52 am 

According to an ad banner on splitboard.com, the Ultracraft will only be available in fall 2014.

A 164cm version with wide waist (268mm) could be nice, small, light second board next to my 178 Spearhead XTC, for long ascents, hmmm...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:08 pm 

FloImSchnee wrote:
According to an ad banner on splitboard.com, the Ultracraft will only be available in fall 2014.

Well, it seems, it will be available THIS fall...
http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/produc ... prod/31662
http://www.snowcountry.eu/jones-ultracraft.html