Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steep traverses
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:33 pm 

Any advice on steep traverses? Should I take the forward lean to 0? Do the straps and Mr Chomps work with the wash outs? I just went on a trip that seemed more difficult on the traverses than I am used to when on skis. It was all time weather, snow conditions and friends in the Selkirk mountians in North Idaho. My Arbor abacus rides like a dream and tours well. SB

Post subject: Re: Steep traverses
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:46 pm 

snowbortz wrote:
Any advice on steep traverses? Should I take the forward lean to 0? Do the straps and Mr Chomps work with the wash outs? I just went on a trip that seemed more difficult on the traverses than I am used to when on skis. It was all time weather, snow conditions and friends in the Selkirk mountians in North Idaho. My Arbor abacus rides like a dream and tours well. SB

You should take the forward lean to zero for all skinning IMHO. Mr Chomps work, but I don't know what you mean by "straps".

Your splitty will likely never handle steep traverses like your skis do. Just compare fat skis to skinny skis for an illustration of why. Then add in soft boots and steep traverses are that much more challenging. Look for advantages over your skier friends that having wider skins (more traction surface) offers. I will go steeper then my skier friends if they're venturing into steep side hill traverses that I can solve/reduce with a steeper skin track. Just experience stuff I guess. The more you do it the better you get, but if you're going from skis to splitty, the skinning is guaranteed going to be harder in these situations.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:15 pm 

1. Tighten your boots more.
2. Tighten your straps more.
3. Use Mr. Chomps if helpful in the respective snow conditions.
4. Make sure your skins are trimmed perfectly (steel edges uncovered, but P-Tex covered completely) and attach them precisely.

Forward lean always 0 during uphills.

Post subject: Spark skins
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:39 pm 

I have the new G3 Spark skins. They nhave great traction but the glue does not stick well on the second aapplication. They won't stick well even when free of snow and snow gets between skin and board surface, any suggestions. the glue seems weaker than when purchased a month ago. SB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:16 pm 

Don't they have tail straps? Unless you got all kinds of dirt in them, or all kinds of snow on a given tour, I don't see how that can be a problem? The glue does wear-in in time making them easier to pull apart, but that shouldn't prevent them from sticking to your board. I didn't know sparks sold them, but I have the original G3 split skins and in my second season with them they adhere just fine...although they aren't quite as grippy (on the nap side) as the tractor skins are, or the "high traction" G3s they now have.

Post subject: Re: Spark skins
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:59 pm 

snowbortz wrote:
I have the new G3 Spark skins. They nhave great traction but the glue does not stick well on the second aapplication. They won't stick well even when free of snow and snow gets between skin and board surface, any suggestions. the glue seems weaker than when purchased a month ago. SB

Lots of people are having this problem with the G3 high traction / Spark skins. There is a thread somewhere about it. To help, make sure your bases and skins are as warm as possible when applying, and really press them down on there to get a good hold.

It seems to be much worse of a problem in temperatures under 25 degrees F. You can put your skins in your jacket during laps to help warm them back up, but honestly these skins are just not great for doing laps. Much better for a big line where you only apply them once in the morning, then leave them on all day. Personally, I"m going back to BD/Voiles for lap days, and using these G3s for warmer spring/summer days, which is usually when I'm going for big lines anyway. My :twocents:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:03 pm 

snowbortz wrote:

I use my pole and slide it up and down my skin until I get the skin to adhere. Seems to put pressure on all spots to maximize contact. I also stopped using the cheat sheets and stick em together. I too have the g3 high traction.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:50 am 

This...
Jefe009 wrote:
You can put your skins in your jacket during laps to help warm them back up

...is what one needs to do with most skins on the market, when temperatures are low.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:30 am 

I have g3 skins, just got them about a month ago, the regular ones, not high traction.

They are decent, as good grip as the tractors, strangely, I find they have less glide. Could be just the fact my tractors are way more broken in.

I found that no matter what I tried, due to the angle of the tip attachments, I couldn't get a perfect trim up there, so I am finding that snow creeps in up front a lot more.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:45 am 

This has to be the longest a thread like this has gone without someone inevitably mentioning GETTING HARD BOOTS! (not that I am advocating that, for the record :) )

Good advice above. Especially the part about making sure your skins are properly trimmed leaving enough edge exposed. Also make sure you put them on leaving enough edge exposed. Trickier than with a ski because of the asymmetry of the splitski...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:27 am 

A lot of skin tracks I am on are put in by skiers, so technique and gear setup have really become more important to me so that I stay just as efficient as the skiers on the way up.

Things that have helped me on the steep traverses:

- Dual height heel risers...a must on any split for me.

- Get a good pole technique going, you can really use your poles to help motor up steep traverses with less effort and strain. Even if you are too lazy to adjust your poles for the traverse, at least hold your uphill pole in a shorter way that still allows grip and leverage.

-Spark strappy straps, these really do help me...for sure worth $20

- Moving to a stiffer "soft" boot was really great for me, not just in touring but riding as well...I feel like my power is transferred much easier then before with more control. I have the 2013 DC Travis Rice Status boots and I love them for splitting. Very lightweight, stiff (10 out of 10), and comfy with tons of easy adjustment with the 2 boas...durable leather and soles so far too.

-If slipping out on the traverse or on the kick turns due to being to used/packed/icey just make a new track using the down hill ski on the previous uphill track and cutting a track in new more grippy snow with the uphill ski...on just past kick turn and make a new one slight above the old.

- Crampons are a life saver...literally. But knowing when and when not to use them is key. Try to always have them in the pack if the conditions or area is an unknown.

As for the Spark/G3 skins, I have two pairs...one that has been used quite a bit this season so far 20+ days. I have been through all kinds of conditions with them and so far they seem to perform super well. I have noticed the glue become a little less sticky over time (mostly due to wax/debris.etc), but still is so tacky that for me I still have to use the cheat sheet or else I am in for a grunting pull apart. Traction has been really good, only time I have slipped out at all is on really icey/packed steep tracks but usually this is quickly corrected by changing weight/balance etc. Glide seems fairly forced, but feels about like tractor skins to me. On a sun warmed pow day I had snow sticking to the skins pretty bad once, but once I put on some globstopper it pretty much ceased that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:52 am 

My suggestion is go here and read from beginning to end:
http://telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13792&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=efficient+skinning&start=30

:D