Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wasatch Splitfest 2013
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:05 am 

Some shots from our tour today in Broads Fork.

Beefcake Kyle Miller.

Alister below Dromedary

Twin Peaks, sights set on East Face

Miles Killer, killing.

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow at the mouth of BCC.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:04 am 

Saturday:
After an aborted attempt to drive up a traffic-jammed LCC, we headed up Argenta.

A few shots from the day.

Matt, Eric, and Kyle on the summit of Kessler.

Eric contemplating E. Couloir on lap 2, Matt slashing on lap 1.

Kyle dropping on E. Couloir Kessler.

Kyle exiting the E. Couloir apron.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:48 am 

Thanks to Bucky for putting on a fantastic
event! I had blast getting to know more of the
community and had a great time touring with some of you.
Thanks!

Ill post some photos tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:04 pm 

Yeah Bucky, Dan any others involved super fun event. Well done. Didn't really have a chance for pics on Saturday but got some money shots on today's tour. Decent snow for those coming out of town but could've been better. Great to meet new friends and re-connect with old. Take care.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:44 pm 

ditto - thanks to everyone that put it together. Great times, got to check out some new lines thanks to Bucky and UTAH.

^ that wolvy?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:53 am 

The weekend prior to splitfest I was worried the snow was going to be a let down, surprisingly I enjoyed a couple of the best tours of the season. No doubt this had more to do with all the rad people, but the snow turned out to be pretty great too :D
Here are a few photos (If you are in these, feel free to grab them from my Flickr stream http://www.flickr.com/photos/topodojo/

Friday: I cruised up Mineral Fork with Dan and Jeff.

Jeff and Dan crossing the stream in Mineral Fork

Up on the ridge it was snowing, but soon went full bluebird!

Chimera Stoke!

Horns up metal heads \m/ :headbang:

Dan drops-in rocking the teletubby look

Saturday: A large crew headed up to George's Bowl

I think this is Will about to top out on George's, with Josh slogging it out down slope while battling a cold.

Not sure who all we have here, but its Mike leading the charge with another Mike and ?

Dan gives up a pound of flesh to Ulr

Jeff flash'n the pow grin

Jeff throw'n a nice plume

Dan rip'n

Dan cold smoke'n

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:01 am 

I had a great time at the Friday night event. Hat's off the the organizers and sponsors :rock: Next time (fingers crossed) I'll be sure to pay attention to the dates so I can make it to more of the events and tours :banghead:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:21 am 

Best thing about the Wasatch Splitfest: All the awesome people you get to ride with.

Worst thing about the Wasatch Splitfest: All the awesome people you don't get to ride with.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:49 am 

So, the total take for the raffle ticket sales on Friday night was $2676, all of which has been donated to the Utah Avalanche Center. That is the most they have ever gotten in a single raffle. Yeah that's right, splitboarders did that, Kick ass! Thank you to all of you who bought raffle tickets, I hope you scored. If not, it went to a worthy cause. Thanks to all those who donated raffle goods, especially our main sponsors: Voile, Venture, Chimera, and Arc'teryx for their generosity in helping us raise this money for UAC! Also Spark R&D for the custom binders and the demo gear.

Big thanks to everyone who helped organize and spent time and money and effort on the fest, especially Dan(wasatchsurf) who did the website, Doug(snurfer) for printing stuff, Kelly from Splitboard Education Co for arranging the Thursday night presentation, Jason M and Alister from Chimera for organizing the 3-legged race, Stevie B(breadbox), Eric M and Josh G, Dave M for the donated artwork, Casey for the bootlegger run to WY, you all made this fest super fun and stress-free for me.

Thanks to our splitfest presenters: Julian Hanna, Cowboy, Tony P, Matt J, Carl from Save Our Canyons, and especially visiting Eddie Bauer professional splitboard ambassador Miles Kimler I mean Kyle Miller - stoked to have you out here man!

And of course thanks to everyone who came out and rode! Especially stoked to get out with Serafim, who is training for representing Russia for snowboarding in the 2014 Paralympics and was able to get out for his first ever splitboard tour with us in Pink Pine - inspirational.

Also got out with Louie the Service dog:

3 beards:

Alex gives it off a George's Bowl nubbin:

Stevie B starts a 4000' run off Gobblers down into Davis Gulch in the last bits of evening sunshine, damn that was a good run:

Before the fest started, I was resigned to the thought that I'd just be babysitting newbies, schlepping gear around, and not getting many good turns during splitfest. Instead I was with groups who got: first tracks settled pow off Superior summit, untracked off Pink Pine backside, 2500' run of untracked wallowing deep in Maybird gully, couple laps of pretty good pow in Georges, and untracked knee/thigh/hip deep off Raymond and Gobblers summits. OK, I guess in all honesty we actually dropped in like 50 feet below the true Mt Raymond summit. Good grief I love the Wasatch and my old and new touring partner friends.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:53 am 

The First Annual World Championship Open Invitational 3-legged Race, sponsored by Chimera and Arc'teryx, was held this past Saturday as part of the splitfest. Five 2-person teams were first timed in individual trials. I competed and came in last. The snow was flying furiously under the custom made two binder splitsticks:

The final two teams went head to head - note the pole, savagely broken in the furious battle for world domination:

Sometimes you need a helping hand:

You had to chug a beer at the turn-around point; hurry up dude they're gaining on us!:

The winning team is then torn emotionally asunder, as former partners are pitted head-to-head in a post-hole race to determine who gets the grand prize: a brand new Chimera splitboard. The 3-legged splitboard race tests your limits both psychologically and physically. It's a lot like gladiators in ancient Rome:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:03 am 

When the dust settles and the keg is tapped, the victors celebrate. 3-leg race winner Ray enjoys the sweet taste of victory. If you like the taste of alcohol-infused whipped cream:

Runner-up Travis celebrates his winning of an Arc'teryx jacket:

Eric M gets some assistance from Matt and Ashley:

Here's some of the work of the Splitfest's resident caricaturist; this is Paul and Andrea:

Kate and Nina:

Cosmo uses my pole sections as a pillow as gear dries out:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:56 pm 

White Pine trailhead group portrait from Friday:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:28 pm 

Super fun weekend guys! I wish I could have made more of the tours but work calls. Where can I get one of those telemark bend a knee suck a cock stickers? That is hilarious!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next