Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: La Sportiva Spantik - First Impressions, Feedback Welcome
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:42 pm 

What kind of cramps would you guys pair with the Spantiks for moderate mixed climbing and moderate ice climbing?

Cyborgs?

I am looking for something that will work well with my AT boots and Spantiks for climbing on low angle water ice, and/or seracs/icefall etc. Currently have 10-point strap Contacts, fine for neve but obviously not suitable for the aforementioned activities ...

And I think I'm going to bite the bullet and pick up some Spantiks this year, whenever I can get a bc.com deal or whatever.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:18 pm 

I rock G12 newmatics for stuff up to WI4, if you are gonna wanna get on something with more vert look at G14s or any mixed maybe look at G22s.

As for durability, I have about 30 days on mine for climbing and riding. I added some layers of Freesole to areas that have been found to take a beating on approach. With this care, mine are holding up nicely thus far.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:07 am 

For those who don't frequent cc.com, a very nice review of the Spantik and comparison to other winter boot options.

162 Furberg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:54 am 

Hi Folks, thanks heaps for this thread, it really helped me make up my mind on getting these boots for splitboarding. I bought mine last week at Au Vieux Campeur, Sallanches, for 435 euros,. I'm pretty sure you can buy online from other countries, non taxed, so it might work out cheap for you. Anyway, Thea boots are amazing! I have had Burton Drivers/ driver X/Vikings for years as I really like the support and they fit my fit well, but hated having strap crampons ping of my boots right when you really needed them to do their job. Spantiks feel amazing to ride in. Stiff, good support, super comfortable. Going up on split mode they feel great, no different from my normal boots, going down too. You can really crank the laces, to stiffen them up. Just be careful as they don't have as much cushioning on landings as normal snowboarding boots. Plus my toes hang out over the edges a bit more than my normal boots. But nothing too serious. In conclusion I'd say Spantiks are a really good snowboarding boot that are not a compromise to normal boots.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:47 pm 

I use Petzl Sarkens on my Spatniks and they have been money for the WI3 I've done in them, but I expect they are solid for much harder.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:58 am 

So thanks to the bc.com 20% off sale earlier in the month, I ended up with some of these.

I normally wear a 9 Malamute and went with a 43.5 Spantik to deal with swollen feet after big days, elevation etc. The size seems about right.

Here's my problem - before starting on any boot customizations, I get a ton of heel lift. The heelcup is not nearly as well defined as the Malamute. Did anyone here find similar, and stuff their boots with any kinds of inserts?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:43 am 

BUMP

I got one ride on bumpy spring snow in these boots in June, and I did NOT feel safely dialed at all. I had such little feel for the board and the stiff outsoles felt so much different than what I was used to in my Sparks. Of course, booting up the snow was glorious, and skinning was just okay though I did get toe interference from the boots being so much larger and hanging off the top of my Sparks more than my Malamutes.

They also cramped my feet - like I had to stop riding for 5 minutes to let the cramps settle down. This was due to lots of things -the insoles I was using, the insole lifters I was using, the fact that I had my binding straps on my Sparks cranked all the way.

So I'm on the fence about sending them back for credit vs. trying to double down and get an Intuition liner and better fitting insoles. I feel like my only real options are trying to get the Spantiks dialed or getting something like a Sideral boot and trying to dial that.

Big hmmm. What were you Spantik users using for your soft boots? Any specific model of Intuition recommended for the Spantiks?

Ended up with size 43 Spantiks. These things definitely fit different than Trangos!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:19 am 

Yo A,

Sorry to hear your first experience was unpleasant. They definitely ride different than a true soft boot, and it took me a couple of trips in firm conditions before I truly felt I knew how to ride in them. I am still rocking the stock liners, but planning to upgrade to the Baruntse liner at some point as I have heard lots of folks are much happier with those. Regarding toe interference while skinning mine are a little bit worse than my Malamutes, but not by much. One of the reasons I am really looking forward to trying a TLT5/Phantom/Dynafit setup this year as another tool in the arsenal.

My advice would be as follows. If you only plan to use them for splitting you may be happier long-term with something else. But, if like myself, you would use them for other climbing activities, they are really hard to beat. Though as a purely splitting boot, they are still a solid option once you are used to how they respond.

Cheers

162 Furberg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:04 pm 

I use the liner from my Burton Ambush boots. I would not use the stock Spatnik liner for snowboarding. The liner seems to take care of the heel lift.