Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any experience with Salomon Freestyle boots (F24 or F22)...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:05 pm 

I've been riding the Salomon Synapse for the last 3 years. I'm in the market for new boots and was planning on another pair of Synapse or Malamutes. I've considered the F series boots but figured they'd be too soft for resort and all mountain riding (I'm not a jibber). Then I saw the post on the Burton SL8 which seems to be more of a freestyle boot and got to wondering if the F22 or F24 might not be comparable. I like the smaller footprint and the lighter weight but I'm used to a stiffer boot and don't want a noodle.

Thoughts, experiences?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:52 pm 

Stay far away from the F boots. First, the liners are glued in and are not removeable - no good for drying after multidays of riding or custom fitting. Second, to achieve the smaller footprint, Salomon removed alot of the padding in the liner, so the boots are very aggresive fitting - bad for all day riding & touring. As far as stiffness, the F24 model is quite stiff.
Stick with Burton!!! I had the F22 and ended up switching them for SL7s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:01 am 

PS - If I didn't have the Burtons, I would rock the Synapse. The Malamutes are too stiff for my preference, but are a good choice as well.
Cheers

Post subject: Dito...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:16 pm 

One of my riding buddies tried going with the F 24's and can confirm the comfort issues and relative stiffness there. Fit is different, padding isn't so good, but they are definitely lighter and smaller than most based on shoe size.. If the fit is perfect for your foot specific foot shape, they might work for ya... Not a good choice for tender feet or odd shapes.

The non-removable liner is definitely a concern for multi-day trips where drying out might be an issue. The only break here is the lack of padding does keep it from absorbing as much moisture.

I've been sporting the older Malamutes for a while, and just picked up a pair of last years in the off season and am sporting those now. Comfort is there, but they are still stiffer than ever. Actually took a little getting used to again after my older Malamutes that had ~100 days on them.

Must say though, they are nice for kicking steps and solid total confidence in control/edging... Little bit of extra support in skin mode too... Just not quite as 'surfy' or fun as something a little softer or lighter... If I had to do again, I'd reconsider the Synapse as well. Price is a little friendlier too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:44 pm 

i've had both the f-22's and f-24's, they were good boots. the 22's were to soft for me and the 24's are a bit stiffer but not as stiff as the malamutes. thats what i am in now, and will buy again. i think the top of the foot padding is good in the f series but they don't have anything under the foot. they seem to have a baseless binding feel (early-mid 90's feel)! my feet got colder in the f series too. i would go with the synapse(stiffness is close to the f-24) or the malamutes(super stiff soft boot). both f series boots were ready to be thrown away after roughly 80 to 100 days in them( maybe 50 splitting?), at this point in the season i do not think the malamutes are going to be that way. you won't be disappointed with what ever you do, salomon makes great boots! my .02$

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:55 pm 

I haven't ridden the F 22's or 24's but like a lot of people in the forum I have the Malumutes. And ya they are stiff, awesome boots that I would definetly buy again. But my major flaw with their design is the lacing system. It is alright for the first 50 days in my opinion and then goes to junk. It needs to be tightened up a lot when riding after that to get the stiffen you've become accustomed too and it doesn't give any way to customize it so you can alleviate hot spots and still keep your heel held down to the bottom. So if the F22 or 24's had a system similar I might look at another contender.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:05 pm 

go for malamutes! I rode the synapse years ago (96-ish, I think), then upgraded to malamutes a while back and I've had 3 pairs! they rock if you like the salo fit!

salo makes great frontcountry decks too, but I'm crakced out on Fishes since they came out...

jim