Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Epoxy in T-nuts or Ptex?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:30 pm 

Is it worth dealing with Ptex to fill the holes or just go with G-flex epoxy?

Post subject: Re: Epoxy in T-nuts or Ptex?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:43 pm 

Here is one way:
http://www.splitboardoregon.com/make-your-own-split/

I have never used p tex just epoxy and never had any issues.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:37 am 

Thanks, Sure sounds like epoxy its the easiest and best way to go. Plus it will save me $100 not buying a ptex iron, scraper, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:33 am 

Epoxy is the way to go for sure... has a way stronger and more durable bond in my experience. I usually just put a bit of wax in the bottom of t-nut to protect the threads then epoxy in the disc so that its level with the base. For me it helps to not build up the epoxy or disc any/much higher than the base, so that the final shaping or sanding will be easier and more level. I like to use a utility size razor blade to do the final epoxy spreading when it is at base level. I also always give ptex discs a ruff sanding which I think helps to bond with the epoxy too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:32 pm 

I was contemplating not using the ptex disc and just leaving it epoxy. I'll try a couple tonight on a practice board I have before I do it to my "good" board I am splitting.

I'll be sawing away tonight, I hope this goes well :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:21 pm 

Just an FYI, if you put the screws in flush with the bottom of the t nut and epoxy over them, the screws actually come out quite easily once dry. Just make sure the epoxy is solid before unscrewing them. Also when filling holes, consider a bit of settling otherwise you can have a bit of in indentation on the base. Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to filling the holes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:33 am 

Thanks for the tip. Are you saying to insert the t-nut, screw in the screw to the base until it reaches the base of the t-nut, apply the epoxy, let dry, remove the screw, install hardware and your done?

Sounds perfect so if I want to remove the bulk of the hardware I can reuse it on another split down the road. As you will see on a thread I'm about to start, splitting my 3d hole pattern Burton hasn't gone well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:05 pm 

Another thing about the ptex discs.. After using the discs with epoxy a number of times I still think that they are a weak volatile layer... Especially when heated later down the road (wax iron, etc.). Aesthetically they can look nice, but I think the durability is sacrificed. Seems like a lot of other people here have had that same issue and like to use only epoxy, and I echo that as well. Actually my new preference is to use round cut discs from carbon fiber dry cloth, and use that with the epoxy matrix to reinforce the bond and make it more of a clean look.