Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Currie, Slalok, a milky Trip Report
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:18 pm 

Disclaimer, there aren't many splitboarding photos and the quality is not great. This is just a quick summary of the 3 days to start this week.

For some reason the last 3 years I've missed out on heli drops on Mt Currie. It was going to be a socked in day but for $90 a bump up 7000ft seemed like a start to the day and would leave me lots of time to get back to work. Our pilot Andy wasn't sure if he could get us up but he decided that we would load up and if we got turned around he wouldn't charge us. Things worked out and he dropped us 40ft from the entrance to the Pencil Couloir.
If you've been to Pemberton you know Mt Currie, it has a huge North Face, our run to the valley would be just under 6700ft.
The Pencil Couloir is visable just to the left of the middle of this photo and runs in to the furthest left path....

Pat helped set up the belay, there was some exposure below the entrance and a small rappel off the corner of the cornice......

Nico took honours and rapped in then put in a big ski cut across the couloir....

I took the 3rd line, sick pow all the way down, 1900ft of sustained goodness.

We all hooked up and decided to bootpack up another chute to skiers right. Taking turns, I lead out for a while....

We climbed up but after 800ft things were looking ominous. The winds were picking up at the top, the chute started to sluff. On came down the middle but Evan didn't make it to the walls and a foot of snow came over him.

He held his own, we talked about it and decided to turn around.
You can see some small sluff coming off the wall above Brian on the left, that whole wall was cascading.

I took the lead down to our next safe zone. In the middle right of this photo you can see the top half of the Pencil, it goes dog leg skiers right at the bottom.
We still had 5100' of mixed snow

Out of the Alpine and down to treeline Evan makes some turns

The look down to the valley....

Pat who was visiting from snow starved Colorado skinned back to the heli port, and we had a lazy lunch.

I had the next 2 days off and wanted to check out a new zone(mainly a S/SW chute I had seen from a nearby peak up the Duffey. It would be a day of touring and very little riding.
After a couple hours Darin and I gained the Alpine and I got a view from the bottom.
Lingering clouds on the peak.

We cruised around Rohr Lake and got a look at a fun looking N face

We continued to climb and moved to a West col and got a great view down in to the end of the Haylmore.
I continued up a ridge hiding in the far left of this photo

Dropped in and headed down the bowl

Climbed back up, and it was time to drop in from near the peak of Roar back down to the lake

On our way out I got a better look at the chute I wanted to scope, it had been warm when the sun was out.

I hadn't exited this route so I followed my partners advice but we fucked it up, got sucked between drainages and had to put on the headlamps and do a bit of bushwacking in the dark.

The next day we planned another heli drop on a peak SW. After waiting around for a while, clouds screwed us again so we packed up and headed up the Duffey and hit the Stonecrop Glacier on Slalok Mtn, a big 3600' sustained 40' N Face.
We debated our route up.
Go far left of the Icefall then cross the Matier Glacier to gain the ridge, go middle of the photo and right of the icefall under the buttress through the small choke to gain the glacier, or bootpack up the one the options on the face.
Seeing as the clouds were in and out we opted to not try and cross the Matier Glacier(the top of the icefall) so as not to get caught in a white out. Sill a lot of lingering crevasses.
We went far right, skinned up to the rocks and started bootpacking...

I lead the way..

It ended up not clearing at all, so we stopped halfway up just before the upper glacier. We would still get a decent 2000' run down. After setting the bootpack up, I put on board, traversed in and took the first line down

Evan making a turn out the bottom skiers right, we all took the obvious right of middle chute, I went fall line

Looking back this is what we got to ride.

With a marginal few days it was good to still be able to find some decent lines, looking forward to 3 days off beginning next week

Post subject: Re: Currie, Slalok, a milky Trip Report
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:37 pm 

amazing. After one visit to that area last spring I am totally obsessed. I would love to get currie one of these days.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:19 pm 

aw yah Jamie
shred that shit!
woop!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:40 pm 

Dude, rad tr as stoked on that tight chute. Love the photo of the dropout into it

Boots: Salomon Malamutes
SnowSurf Pads: Almond MFG.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:15 pm 

Looks like an excellent tour in some excellent mountains. Gotta love the dynasplit.